Western Australia is now the leading cycling State

gclark8

Apr 13, 2004
Western Australia is now the leading cycling State
According to the results of a national survey, the Department for Planning and Infrastructure system of linking cycling promotion and infrastructure construction has paid dividends, with WA achieving the largest growth in cycling in Australia.

It also has more women cycling than any other State.

The results were reported in the Exercise, Recreation and Sport Survey Annual Report 2004. See the Minister's media statement ... http://www.mediastatements.wa.gov.a...CE8AD6C787ED1E6A482570EE0022A1E6?opendocument

gclark8 said:

I find this quite easy to believe given the amount of effort being put into the Perth Bicycle Network.

As a south of the river Perth cyclist, I will be glad when they finish the Leach Highway and South Street underpasses, and the Roe Highway interchange with the Kwinana Freeway cycling paths currently under construction should be brilliant when finished.

James

jamesc said:
I find this quite easy to believe given the amount of effort being put into the Perth Bicycle Network.

As a south of the river Perth cyclist, I will be glad when they finish the Leach Highway and South Street underpasses, and the Roe Highway interchange with the Kwinana Freeway cycling paths currently under construction should be brilliant when finished.

James
Given that Perth was, for so long, the domain of the car, it's pretty impressive that the effort over the last few years has had this big of an impact. It's good to see the families out with their kids learning to ride on the cyclepaths around town. The more, the merrier.

I'm just back from holidaying in WA, and I found WA's biking paths awesome. The best. Compared to Perth, Melbourne sucks.

Wake up, Bracks!

jur said:
I'm just back from holidaying in WA, and I found WA's biking paths awesome. The best. Compared to Perth, Melbourne sucks.

Wake up, Bracks!
You obviously haven't been to Sydney - compared to Sydney, Melbourne is a cyclist's Nirvana.

I too have ridden on the WA bike tracks, they are excellent.

You can pretty much get anywhere you need to be via bike track.

Here in Tasmania we have a grand total of 1. :mad:

Although I've got to admit the traffic isn't daunting over here.

yes it may have more cyclists but does it lead in the cyclist:population ratio? i think its pretty hard to beat South Australia for most bike friendly roads. from the city, the hills are only 30mins away and the beach 20mins away.

I wish for a Munda Biddi type of state-crossing track here in VIC. Perhaps starting in Melb and going to the Prom.

[edit] And I wish for MTB tracks in the Prom. It is such a big place, and you can see so much more by bike. Right now, you are limited to driving your car to a particular place, getting out and hoofing the rest. And other places are out of bounds unless you lug overnight stuff. I'd rather blow my bucks on bike stuff than hiking stuff.

a1086528 said:
yes it may have more cyclists but does it lead in the cyclist:population ratio? i think its pretty hard to beat South Australia for most bike friendly roads. from the city, the hills are only 30mins away and the beach 20mins away.

South Australia is great if you can stay away from the metropolitan area, otherwise it seriously unfriendly.

Having lived there for some time (and on holiday here now for the TDU) I can say that most drivers hate cyclist with a passion, the SA goverments idea of a bike lane is a joke and the amount of glass and various other bits of rubbish are a real danger to tires. On the other hand if you go out Loberthal, Meadows, Echunga way its great. Nice clear roads, drivers are reasonably respectful, the little towns are really friendly (every time I get more water the little deli or bakery always offers ice).

I am surprised that Canberra did not win the top cycling spot :confused:

Does anyone know when the leach highway/south street underpasses will be finished? It's just plain wrong to tease us with the entry/exit paths and not complete the rest.

"Having lived there for some time (and on holiday here now for the TDU) I can say that most drivers hate cyclist with a passion, the SA goverments idea of a bike lane is a joke and the amount of glass and various other bits of rubbish are a real danger to tires."

You want to try Brisbane roads! I travel 27klm to work because I need the exercise. (Was a fat diabetes bound bugger) the motorists her blow their horns, shout out the window swerve at you, throw stuff out the window at you and city council bus driver's are the worst. If any of these ignorant morons took half a moment to look at themselves doing what they do to cyclists, I wonder what they would say?

I love riding it gives me a real sense of freedom. All the effort I put in gets me to where I want to go. I wish we could just get on with motorists better. The amount of times I have had to avoid being hit by incompetent or aggressive drivers is the pits. Good on WA for giving a safe environment for cyclists to ride. At least on state knows the benefit of bikes!

mjs4300 said:
"Having lived there for some time (and on holiday here now for the TDU) I can say that most drivers hate cyclist with a passion, the SA governments idea of a bike lane is a joke and the amount of glass and various other bits of rubbish are a real danger to tires."

You want to try Brisbane roads! I travel 27klm to work because I need the exercise. (Was a fat diabetes bound bugger) the motorists her blow their horns, shout out the window swerve at you, throw stuff out the window at you and city council bus driver's are the worst. If any of these ignorant morons took half a moment to look at themselves doing what they do to cyclists, I wonder what they would say?

I love riding it gives me a real sense of freedom. All the effort I put in gets me to where I want to go. I wish we could just get on with motorists better. The amount of times I have had to avoid being hit by incompetent or aggressive drivers is the pits. Good on WA for giving a safe environment for cyclists to ride. At least on state knows the benefit of bikes!

Fortunately I know live in Canberra. Now this is the Cycling Capital of Australia. Big wide bike lanes, bike friendly laws, drivers who are friendly and considerate and lots of great hills and scenery. What more could you ask for?

gclark8 said:
Bike week, this week!! :D [/url]
G'day, George. How are you doing? I'm coming down to Perth at the end of April for a couple of weeks (hopefully bringing my bike down with me). May see you out on the road some time.
Enjoy the Summer while it lasts.

Regards,
Eoin

When I first read of this some time back I was well pleased. Its nice to think I'm a part of something truly good.
I use the shared cycle paths for 80% of my 30km commute to work.

Unfortunately the other 20% is shared with motorists, who generally are ok! but I know it only takes one set of eyes of the road to not see me and ?
Does anyone else do the length of Kalamunda Rd and the Gr Eastern bypass?
Why does the small amount of (crappy, littered, decaying) allocated road I squeeze into suddenly go from 0.7m to 0.1m particularly on a bridge with no side exits. Let me know or does anyone know how I can have this fixed.
Yes WA is the leading state just don't let it stop short of the hills.

Cheers, DB

Having seen the last stats on riding by state, it was impressive to see a figure of (off memory) 5% bicycle commute in Perth I wondered why Perth was doing so well. From this thread it would imply that Perth's success is due to a solid expansion of its bike path network and the riders followed.

Ah, if only Sydney had such a good network.

Afer living in sydney for 30years and now living in perth for one month i can see why perth is so good for riding. One example is I ride to work 3 days perth week. I leave my front door head around joondaloop lkake on the bike path and straight to the city on bike paths it is just so safe and easy. I am really loving it. Except for the punctures

Chris

mikesbytes said:
Having seen the last stats on riding by state, it was impressive to see a figure of (off memory) 5% bicycle commute in Perth I wondered why Perth was doing so well. From this thread it would imply that Perth's success is due to a solid expansion of its bike path network and the riders followed.

Ah, if only Sydney had such a good network.

redorbea said:
Afer living in sydney for 30years and now living in perth for one month i can see why perth is so good for riding. One example is I ride to work 3 days perth week. I leave my front door head around joondaloop lkake on the bike path and straight to the city on bike paths it is just so safe and easy. I am really loving it. Except for the punctures

Shhhhh;)