Western Central Virginia Muni Ride Invitation

pdc

Guest
I've got property adjoining the George Washington National Forest. I'd
like to make an open invitation for a Muni ride/weekend. I have a house
there that can accomodate quite a crowd for anyone who might want to
make a weekend out of it. There is miles of trails starting from the
house. There is a 8-12 (not sure) mile ride over the top of the
mountain that is quite challenging. About a 1 1/2 mile hike up and the
rest mostly down, a great ride, varying from rocky and technical to
moderate. There is also a trail that follows the ridge of a couple
mountains that I haven't explored too far, but I think would be more
XC. This is a very scenic area and would be worth the trip. Depending
on turnout, food/barbeque could be planned.
The property is a little off the beaten path. About 30 minutes from
James Madison University (Harrisonburg). 1 hour west of
Charlottesville.

Some proposed dates:
4/29
5/20
6/10
6/17
6/24
Those who have an interest give me some feedback on what might be the
best weekend/day.

Here is the location:

|Filename: map.web.mapquest.gif |

pdc

"What doesn't kill you strengthens you, what kills you strengthens your
mother"
pdc's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8160

I can attest to the fact that the trails next to pdc's house are really
awesome. There's stuff there for riders of all levels. There are
several rocky DH sections that are great for advanced riders but can be
walked by novice riders. Most of the trail can be ridden by all. Last
time I went there was a natural spring about mid way where we
re-hydrated. It tasted like it was right out of the bottle! There is
also a cool place to swim in the river near the end.

Best of those weekends is May 20, the day after graduation and 2 days
before my birthday. Any of the weekends in June would be fine too.

--
hell-on-wheel

On the other hand, you have different fingers. - Steven Wright
hell-on-wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3425

OOOOH, Goody, another MUni weekend! And it's -only -:rolleyes: a 7 hour
22 minute drive!

I vote for June 17.

I'm planning on central CT to Merritt Pkwy to Chimppan ;) Zee Bridge to
I-78 to I-81, anybody want a ride? Route subject to change to pickup
rider. I've got a minivan, but I listen to classical & weird (Carmen
Miranda's Ghost Is Haunting Space Station 3 & Ramboing Among The Live
Grenades) music.

--
brian.slater

Brian C. Slater
AKA: Snoopy

Ok, I am now officially in my normal state of -advanced- confusion.
Don't try to confuse me, it won't make any difference. If you try not
to confuse me, that will confuse me.

"To not decide is to decide" - undecided
brian.slater's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3902

brian.slater wrote:

> I vote for June 17.
>
> I'm planning on central CT to Merritt Pkwy to Chimppan ;) Zee Bridge to
> I-78 to I-81, anybody want a ride? Route subject to change to pickup
> rider. I've got a minivan, but I listen to classical & weird (Carmen
> Miranda's Ghost Is Haunting Space Station 3 & Ramboing Among The Live
> Grenades) music.

That's the best way here. I grew up in Greenwich, Ct. and still have
family there. I drive up about twice a year.

Looks like May 20th is in Jeopardy. I think I've be moving my college
daughter back home that weekend.

Since you'd be coming the longest distance Brian, It would be great to
acccomodate the June 17th date.

I've got a couple extra high end Munis available if someone needs to
borrow one.

--
pdc

"What doesn't kill you strengthens you, what kills you strengthens your
mother"
pdc's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8160

Can't wait! I went to the trouble of plugging some surrounding cities
into Mapquest and jotting down the apporoximate driving times:

D.C. - 2.5 hours
Durham - 4.75 hours
Philly (or Pittsburgh) - 5 hours
Charlotte - 5 hours
NYC - 6 hours
Nashville - 8.5 hours
Memphis - 11.5 hours

--

hell-on-wheel wrote:
> Can't wait! I went to the trouble of plugging some surrounding cities
> into Mapquest and jotting down the apporoximate driving times:

You left out Hartford! :mad: :eek: 7 hours 22 minutes.

--

Skippii wrote:
> I can't do the 10th or the 17th. All other dates are fine with me.

Well, hmm...should we move it to 6/24? Would that still work out for
you, Brian/everyone else? 24th is fine with me, except for the waiting
an extra week part.

Two more days of classes til I'm done...forever! Man, I'm excited, but
really stressed out cause I've got a fairly intensive research paper
due monday that I haven't really started yet. Don't know why I'm
posting this here, guess cause I see this ride as a celebration of my
graduation. Skippii and James - are you guys graduating this semester?

--
hell-on-wheel

On the other hand, you have different fingers. - Steven Wright
hell-on-wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3425

If you give me some more information chances are good that I can come up
there and ride, the 24th works the best for me too.

--
carsonpalooza

I just wear bike shorts...* the tight kind*
That site is making me drool.
-Dave aka fcwegnm0b

'ARGHHHHHHH' (http://WWW.nickjantz.2ya.com)
carsonpalooza's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10085

carsonpalooza wrote:
> If you give me some more information chances are good that I can come up
> there and ride, the 24th works the best for me too.

hmmmmm .....let's see

It will probably be between 3 and 10 riders (hopefully more). I have
a house on 20 acres on a mountainside adjoining the national forest.
There's 4 Bedrooms, sleeping bags and 3 Bathrooms, so there's plenty of
room to crash. The house will be vacant except for us unicyclists (ie -
my 5 kids won't be staying there). Arrival can be from Friday afternoon
on.

Everyone is welcome; friends, family (potential cooks:) ). I can
decide how organized meals will be as we get closer and have an idea of
how many are coming. Regardless I can plan to have food there. There's
a gas grill and a full kitchen.
I have a pond on the property stocked with trout(catch and
release), and a 24' above ground pool with a big deck. If the wind is
calm I think a bonfire would be fun Saturday night.

Tentative Schedule:
*Friday afternoon/evening - random trials, some small Muni, possibly a
road ride, food - whatever
*Saturday - breakfast, Muni ride, possible swim in river towards the
end of the ride, dinner, swimming in the pool, possible bonfire,
Unicycle DVD's
*Sunday - more muni, road ride, whatever

I hope many can make it.

PS - I have 2 extra Muni's and an extra Coker.