Western Central Virginia Muni Ride Invitation

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by pdc, Apr 13, 2006.

  1. pdc

    pdc Guest

    I've got property adjoining the George Washington National Forest. I'd
    like to make an open invitation for a Muni ride/weekend. I have a house
    there that can accomodate quite a crowd for anyone who might want to
    make a weekend out of it. There is miles of trails starting from the
    house. There is a 8-12 (not sure) mile ride over the top of the
    mountain that is quite challenging. About a 1 1/2 mile hike up and the
    rest mostly down, a great ride, varying from rocky and technical to
    moderate. There is also a trail that follows the ridge of a couple
    mountains that I haven't explored too far, but I think would be more
    XC. This is a very scenic area and would be worth the trip. Depending
    on turnout, food/barbeque could be planned.
    The property is a little off the beaten path. About 30 minutes from
    James Madison University (Harrisonburg). 1 hour west of
    Charlottesville.

    Some proposed dates:
    4/29
    5/20
    6/10
    6/17
    6/24
    Those who have an interest give me some feedback on what might be the
    best weekend/day.

    Here is the location:

    |Filename: map.web.mapquest.gif |

    pdc

    "What doesn't kill you strengthens you, what kills you strengthens your
    mother"
    pdc's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8160

  2. I can attest to the fact that the trails next to pdc's house are really
    awesome. There's stuff there for riders of all levels. There are
    several rocky DH sections that are great for advanced riders but can be
    walked by novice riders. Most of the trail can be ridden by all. Last
    time I went there was a natural spring about mid way where we
    re-hydrated. It tasted like it was right out of the bottle! There is
    also a cool place to swim in the river near the end.

    Best of those weekends is May 20, the day after graduation and 2 days
    before my birthday. Any of the weekends in June would be fine too.

    --
    hell-on-wheel

    On the other hand, you have different fingers. - Steven Wright
    hell-on-wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3425

  3. siafirede

    siafirede Guest

  4. brian.slater

    brian.slater Guest

    OOOOH, Goody, another MUni weekend! And it's -only -:rolleyes: a 7 hour
    22 minute drive!

    I vote for June 17.

    I'm planning on central CT to Merritt Pkwy to Chimppan ;) Zee Bridge to
    I-78 to I-81, anybody want a ride? Route subject to change to pickup
    rider. I've got a minivan, but I listen to classical & weird (Carmen
    Miranda's Ghost Is Haunting Space Station 3 & Ramboing Among The Live
    Grenades) music.

    --
    brian.slater

    Brian C. Slater
    AKA: Snoopy

    Ok, I am now officially in my normal state of -advanced- confusion.
    Don't try to confuse me, it won't make any difference. If you try not
    to confuse me, that will confuse me.

    "To not decide is to decide" - undecided
    brian.slater's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3902

  5. pdc

    pdc Guest

    brian.slater wrote:

    > I vote for June 17.
    >
    > I'm planning on central CT to Merritt Pkwy to Chimppan ;) Zee Bridge to
    > I-78 to I-81, anybody want a ride? Route subject to change to pickup
    > rider. I've got a minivan, but I listen to classical & weird (Carmen
    > Miranda's Ghost Is Haunting Space Station 3 & Ramboing Among The Live
    > Grenades) music.

    That's the best way here. I grew up in Greenwich, Ct. and still have
    family there. I drive up about twice a year.

    Looks like May 20th is in Jeopardy. I think I've be moving my college
    daughter back home that weekend.

    Since you'd be coming the longest distance Brian, It would be great to
    acccomodate the June 17th date.

    I've got a couple extra high end Munis available if someone needs to
    borrow one.

    --
    pdc

    "What doesn't kill you strengthens you, what kills you strengthens your
    mother"
    pdc's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8160

  6. pdc

    pdc Guest

  7. Can't wait! I went to the trouble of plugging some surrounding cities
    into Mapquest and jotting down the apporoximate driving times:

    D.C. - 2.5 hours
    Durham - 4.75 hours
    Philly (or Pittsburgh) - 5 hours
    Charlotte - 5 hours
    NYC - 6 hours
    Nashville - 8.5 hours
    Memphis - 11.5 hours

    --
    hell-on-wheel

    On the other hand, you have different fingers. - Steven Wright
    hell-on-wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3425

  8. DK

    DK Guest

  9. Skippii

    Skippii Guest

  10. Skippii

    Skippii Guest

  11. brian.slater

    brian.slater Guest

    hell-on-wheel wrote:
    > Can't wait! I went to the trouble of plugging some surrounding cities
    > into Mapquest and jotting down the apporoximate driving times:

    You left out Hartford! :mad: :eek: 7 hours 22 minutes.

    --

  12. Skippii wrote:
    > I can't do the 10th or the 17th. All other dates are fine with me.

    Well, hmm...should we move it to 6/24? Would that still work out for
    you, Brian/everyone else? 24th is fine with me, except for the waiting
    an extra week part.

    Two more days of classes til I'm done...forever! Man, I'm excited, but
    really stressed out cause I've got a fairly intensive research paper
    due monday that I haven't really started yet. Don't know why I'm
    posting this here, guess cause I see this ride as a celebration of my
    graduation. Skippii and James - are you guys graduating this semester?

    --

  13. Skippii wrote:
    > let me know what y'all decide, because I need to request the days off
    > work soon.

    Two months in advance? Harsh!

    --
    hell-on-wheel

    On the other hand, you have different fingers. - Steven Wright
    hell-on-wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3425

  14. pdc

    pdc Guest

    6/24 works for me. If people wanted we could also do a distance ride.
    My Hunter 36" frame should be here by then, so I'll have another
    complete Coker available.

    --
    pdc

    "What doesn't kill you strengthens you, what kills you strengthens your
    mother"
    pdc's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8160

  15. Skippii

    Skippii Guest

  16. If you give me some more information chances are good that I can come up
    there and ride, the 24th works the best for me too.

    --
    carsonpalooza

    I just wear bike shorts...* the tight kind*
    That site is making me drool.
    -Dave aka fcwegnm0b

    harper wrote:
    > This is why Canada wants you so badly.

    'ARGHHHHHHH' (http://WWW.nickjantz.2ya.com)
    carsonpalooza's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10085

  17. pdc

    pdc Guest

    carsonpalooza wrote:
    > If you give me some more information chances are good that I can come up
    > there and ride, the 24th works the best for me too.

    hmmmmm .....let's see

    It will probably be between 3 and 10 riders (hopefully more). I have
    a house on 20 acres on a mountainside adjoining the national forest.
    There's 4 Bedrooms, sleeping bags and 3 Bathrooms, so there's plenty of
    room to crash. The house will be vacant except for us unicyclists (ie -
    my 5 kids won't be staying there). Arrival can be from Friday afternoon
    on.

    Everyone is welcome; friends, family (potential cooks:) ). I can
    decide how organized meals will be as we get closer and have an idea of
    how many are coming. Regardless I can plan to have food there. There's
    a gas grill and a full kitchen.
    I have a pond on the property stocked with trout(catch and
    release), and a 24' above ground pool with a big deck. If the wind is
    calm I think a bonfire would be fun Saturday night.

    Tentative Schedule:
    *Friday afternoon/evening - random trials, some small Muni, possibly a
    road ride, food - whatever
    *Saturday - breakfast, Muni ride, possible swim in river towards the
    end of the ride, dinner, swimming in the pool, possible bonfire,
    Unicycle DVD's
    *Sunday - more muni, road ride, whatever

    I hope many can make it.

    PS - I have 2 extra Muni's and an extra Coker.

    --
    pdc

    "What doesn't kill you strengthens you, what kills you strengthens your
    mother"
    pdc's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8160

  18. Skippii

    Skippii Guest

    I got the 24th off work.
    I may be able to bring a beginner unicycling cook, too--otherwise, I
    cook almost as well as I unicycle. ;)

    --
    Skippii

    One for the Road: Harrisonburg's Unicycle gang.
    Skippii's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7822

  19. pdc

    pdc Guest

    Skippii wrote:
    > I cook almost as well as I unicycle. ;)

    Awesome, fakie varial doulbleflip 720 unispin burgers. MMMMMMMMMMM