Western Central Virginia Muni Ride Invitation

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by pdc, Apr 13, 2006.

  1. DK

    DK Guest

  2. brian.slater

    brian.slater Guest

    Skippii wrote:
    > I got the 24th off work.
    > I may be able to bring a beginner unicycling cook, too--otherwise, I
    > cook almost as well as I unicycle. ;)

    I'm sorry, I only eat unicycles when they have been cooked by expert
    unicycle cooks.:eek: Oh, you mean we'll be able to eat -while- we
    unicycle, but we'll have to go slowly because the cook isn't very fast
    (it must be hard to carry a stove on a MUni) - that's OK, I don't like
    fast food anyway.:rolleyes:

    I'm planning my (extended) trip to include WCVMRI and NAUCC 2006, after
    all it'll be only a few days later. However, I like to plan way ahead,
    what are the directions and/or an address (my mapping software can work
    with most addresses)?

    Once again I extend an invite to any one wanting to ride with me, I'm
    planning on leaving central CT Friday early in the AM, my expected
    route remains the same (see earlier post.) However, be advised that I
    intend to stop for a day in Corning, NY on the way home from NAUCC.

    By the way, is West Central Virginia similar to the University of
    Southern North
    Dakota at Hoople?:rolleyes: Yes, I'll be listening to that stuff, too.

    --
    brian.slater

    Brian C. Slater
    AKA: Snoopy

    Ok, I am now officially in my normal state of -advanced- confusion.
    Don't try to confuse me, it won't make any difference. If you try not
    to confuse me, that will confuse me.

    "To not decide is to decide" - undecided
    brian.slater's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3902

  3. siafirede

    siafirede Guest

  4. pdc

    pdc Guest

    brian.slater wrote:

    > I'm planning my (extended) trip to include WCVMRI and NAUCC 2006, after
    > all it'll be only a few days later. However, I like to plan way ahead,
    > what are the directions and/or an address (my mapping software can work
    > with most addresses)?

    The address is 449 Lookout Mountain Lane Mount Solon VA 22843
    The closest street that may be on your mapping software would be
    Stribling Springs Road (Route 730). Lookout Mountain Lane is 1 mile
    from the intersection of 730 and 747(Freemason Run). I'll get some good
    directions up soon.

    --
    pdc

    "What doesn't kill you strengthens you, what kills you strengthens your
    mother"
    pdc's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8160

  5. Skippii

    Skippii Guest

    brian.slater wrote:
    > I'm sorry, I only eat unicycles when they have been cooked by expert
    > unicycle cooks.:eek: Oh, you mean we'll be able to eat -while- we
    > unicycle, but we'll have to go slowly because the cook isn't very fast
    > (it must be hard to carry a stove on a MUni) - that's OK, I don't like
    > fast food anyway.:rolleyes:

    Know, I meant I know a beginner unicyclist who can also cook, and I was
    suggesting we eat her.

    I mentioned this ride to her, and explained that she should join us for
    the easy stuff like distance riding, and while we're out mountain
    unicycling, she should stay home and cook and later do all the dishes.
    For some reason, she seemed a little upset. She didn't give a definate
    answer, but she did ask if she'd be the only female.:confused:

    --
    Skippii

    One for the Road: Harrisonburg's Unicycle gang.
    Skippii's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7822

  6. brian.slater

    brian.slater Guest

    pdc wrote:
    > The address is 449 Lookout Mountain Lane Mount Solon VA 22843
    > The closest street that may be on your mapping software would be
    > Stribling Springs Road (Route 730).

    Nope, got it in one, 449 Lookout Mountain Lane, ZIP 22843 was all it
    needed.:eek: :D :cool:

    pdc wrote:
    > I'll get some good directions up soon.

    Will these do::confused:
    from I-81, take Exit 240 SR 257 (Friedens Church Rd)
    In 0.24 mi Turn right (NW) on to SR 257 (Friedens Church Rd)
    in 0.63 mi Turn right (N) on to US 11 (N Main St)
    in 0.23 mi Turn left (WNW) on to SR 257 (Dinkel Ave)
    in 2.53 mi Turn left (WSW) on to SR 42 (Warm Springs Pike)
    in 3.60 mi Keep right (W) on to SR 747 (Mussoq Creek Rd)
    in 0.96 mi Turn left (SW) on to SR 613 (Mossy Creek Rd)
    in 0.36 mi Keep right (WSW) on to SR 747 (Mossy Creek Rd)
    in 5.47 mi Turn left (SW) on to SR 730 (Stribling Springs Rd)
    in 0.48 mi Turn right (W) on to Lookout Mountain Ln
    in 0.33 mi Stop at 449 Lookout Mountain Ln

    13377
    Note the airport (upper left) for fly-ins.;) :rolleyes: All the other
    little roads are listed as service roads.

    |Filename: Map2D_10.jpg |

    brian.slater

    Brian C. Slater
    AKA: Snoopy

    Ok, I am now officially in my normal state of -advanced- confusion.
    Don't try to confuse me, it won't make any difference. If you try not
    to confuse me, that will confuse me.

    "To not decide is to decide" - undecided
    brian.slater's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3902

  7. pdc

    pdc Guest

    The outcome is right, but the in between 81 and my house is a little
    squirrely. I'll get some better directions up.

    --
    pdc

    "What doesn't kill you strengthens you, what kills you strengthens your
    mother"
    pdc's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8160

  8. pdc

    pdc Guest

  9. DK

    DK Guest

  10. pdc

    pdc Guest

  11. ok cool. If the weather is good my dad and I will come, he will
    probably stay in a hotel and do some bike riding. We will either come
    up Friday afternoon or around noon on Saturday.

    --
    carsonpalooza

    I just wear bike shorts...* the tight kind*
    That site is making me drool.
    -Dave aka fcwegnm0b

    harper wrote:
    > This is why Canada wants you so badly.

    'ARGHHHHHHH' (http://WWW.nickjantz.2ya.com)
    carsonpalooza's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10085

  12. pdc

    pdc Guest

    carsonpalooza wrote:
    > ok cool. If the weather is good my dad and I will come, he will
    > probably stay in a hotel and do some bike riding. We will either come
    > up Friday afternoon or around noon on Saturday.

    No need for him to stay at a hotel unless he wants to.

    --
    pdc

    "What doesn't kill you strengthens you, what kills you strengthens your
    mother"

    Come Ride: http://tinyurl.com/hq49e
    pdc's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8160

  13. pdc

    pdc Guest

    Here are detailed instructions to my house from I 81. If anyone need any
    other help getting here let me know.

    Coming From North on I 81:

    I 81 south past Harrisonburg to exit 240 (Mount Crawford). Go right
    onto 257 (west) for approximately 3 miles to the end. Take left onto
    Route 42 (south). Follow Route 42 for 10.9 miles; turn right onto
    Route 760 (Bunker Hill Road). Go 3.4 miles to end. Turn left onto
    Route 747 (Freemason Road). Go 1 mile, turn left onto Route 730
    (Stribling Springs Road). Go 1 mile; turn right onto Lookout Mountain
    Lane. Follow gravel lane for 1 mile (bear right at Y in road at about
    .7 mile). At 1 mile the road splits. The right fork is my driveway.
    There is a sign – Crilley 449 on a tree. I’ll also have some other
    signs at the beginning of Lookout Mountain Lane, the Y and at the
    bottom of my driveway. Follow driveway up the hill about a ¼ mile.

    Coming From South or East:

    I 64 East to I 81 North. Get off exit 225 and turn left onto Route
    275. Follow Route 275 to end. Turn right onto Route 250 (west). Go
    approximately 5 miles, pass through little town of Churchville, and
    turn right onto 42 (north). Go 5-6 miles and turn left onto Route 760
    (Bunker Hill Road). Go 3.4 miles to end. Turn left onto Route 747
    (Freemason Road). Go 1 mile, turn left onto Route 730 (Stribling
    Springs Road). Go 1 mile; turn right onto Lookout Mountain Lane.
    Follow gravel lane for 1 mile (bear right at Y in road at about .7
    mile). At 1 mile the road splits. The right fork is my driveway. There
    is a sign – Crilley 449 on a tree. I’ll also have some other signs at
    the beginning of Lookout Mountain Lane, the Y and at the bottom of my
    driveway. Follow driveway up the hill about a ¼ mile.

    --
    pdc

    "What doesn't kill you strengthens you, what kills you strengthens your
    mother"

    Come Ride: http://tinyurl.com/hq49e
    pdc's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8160

  14. pdc

    pdc Guest

    People can arrive anytime on Friday. Let me know approximately when as I
    will be taking off work early as needed.

    The GPS sounds cool. Does it need a computer to load data into? If so
    what requirements so I can have one there.

    --
    pdc

    "What doesn't kill you strengthens you, what kills you strengthens your
    mother"

    Come Ride: http://tinyurl.com/hq49e
    pdc's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8160

  15. brian.slater

    brian.slater Guest

    pdc wrote:
    > The GPS sounds cool. Does it need a computer to load data into? If so
    > what requirements so I can have one there.

    My GPS is Bluetooth based and -has -to feed into a computer - a PDA or a
    PC - so I'll have my laptop (for directions while driving, it actually
    says (verbally) things like "Turn left onto State Route 730 (Stribling
    Springs Road), 1.3 miles away, 3 minutes and 24 seconds") and my PDA to
    record while MUniing. We can also look at the routes we take, in 3d
    (with vertical profile, even, not including the UPDs that we won't be
    doing :rolleyes: ), after we get back.:cool:

    I can also print color maps (I'll have a printer with me, for use at
    NAUCC - anybody want a T-shirt?) of anywhere in the US - I can print
    topo maps of the areas you'll want to ride in.:D :cool:

    --
    brian.slater

    Brian C. Slater
    AKA: Snoopy

    Ok, I am now officially in my normal state of -advanced- confusion.
    Don't try to confuse me, it won't make any difference. If you try not
    to confuse me, that will confuse me.

    "To not decide is to decide" - undecided
    brian.slater's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3902

  16. pdc

    pdc Guest

    The 6/23 is getting close. I wanted to get a head count so I can figure
    for food and accomodations. Also post approximate arrival time.

    So far;
    Me (Phil)
    Brian
    Carson & Dad

    Frank?
    Skippi?
    James?
    DK?
    Anyone Else?

    --
    pdc

    "What doesn't kill you strengthens you, what kills you strengthens your
    mother"

    Come Ride: http://tinyurl.com/hq49e
    pdc's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8160

  17. siafirede

    siafirede Guest

  18. I'm a definate for Friday, 6 PM to the end of the ride on Saturday.
    Wendy may also come, I'll try and get a definate from her today.

    --
    hell-on-wheel

    On the other hand, you have different fingers. - Steven Wright
    hell-on-wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3425

  19. pdc

    pdc Guest