wet bike

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Stu, May 9, 2003.

  1. Stu

    Stu Guest

    ok so l rode through some deep water, over axle deep that is. what don't l have to pull apart are
    regrease? do l need to do the freewheel? only the BB sealed bearing.

    Tags:

  2. Ray Peace

    Ray Peace Guest

    Good Afternoon, Well, Stu, sealed hubs are supposed to be sealed, but in fact the seals are not 100
    %, and water can get into them and rust them out, as has happened to one of my bottom brackets some
    years ago. Apart from avoiding thundering through rivers by taking your socks and shoes off and
    walking the bike across, there's not a lot you can do with these things as they aren't designed by
    the manufacturers to be serviced in the first place. Suggest you start with a few good blasts of
    Ratpiss in strategic spots and take them apart if you can, but with my present bike and I suspect
    most others these days, it's off to the bike shop when things like that need doing, which
    fortunately in my case is not often. Cheers, Ray.

    stu wrote:

    >ok so l rode through some deep water, over axle deep that is. what don't l have to pull apart are
    >regrease? do l need to do the freewheel? only the BB sealed bearing.

  3. Btc

    Btc Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "stu" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > ok so l rode through some deep water, over axle deep that is. what don't l have to pull apart are
    > regrease? do l need to do the freewheel? only the BB sealed bearing.

    You might want to check that BB as well. Sealed BBs actually aren't all that waterproof. I found
    water in mine after getting it only moderatly wet. After flicking the BB to get as much water out
    as I could, I then left it standing on its end in a warm spot for a few days. That seemed to do
    the trick.

    Cheers.

  4. Stu

    Stu Guest

    thanks guys have spent the day stripping the bike right down front and rear wheel bearings are
    stuffed, bat that looks like it freewheel came up ok front and rear derailleur will be ok(if l can
    remember how they go back together) frame cleaned drained and drying fingers crossed on the BB, but
    it looks ok haven't looked at the pedals yet(be go back out and do that now) l even had to service
    my pump lol

    well l know the answer now. riding through deep water is NOT a good idea. well never do it again.
    its to much work to strip the bike right down just for a 80 foot ride through 2 feet or so of water