wet foot, shoes really do wear out (after 1200 miles)

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Joshua Steinberg, Dec 23, 2004.

  1. Had to happen eventually. It's been about a year since the last pair
    finally gave up the ghost. I knew these were worn, but didn't expect
    they were done yet.

    Then my right foot started getting surprisingly wet during runs. First
    few days of this I chalked it up to heavy rain, snow, water on the road,
    etc. Then had a couple days nearly completely dry conditions outdoors,
    still was a little wet in my right foot. Then while running one of
    those Brooks shoe sole "pods" came loose and fell off, kinda like the
    heat shield protective tiles of the space shuttle. That's when I
    realized that the sole of the shoe, especially under that loose and now
    gone tile, was worn through and leaking water into the shoe.

    So I've retired another of my Brooks Radius pairs of shoes and moved on
    to the next. I'm a little worried because that takes me from 12 pairs
    down to 11, or maybe 10. I stockpiled them when I realized that the
    Radius IV was just right for me about 3-4 years ago.

    -- Josh in Syracuse

    Tags:

  2. Mike Conway

    Mike Conway Guest

    Hey Josh, good to see you're still floating around out there---figuratively and
    literally.

    My girlfriend always...well, less so now after being together for 3 1/2
    years...gives me grief for the number of running shoes I have. I'll usually
    buy two, perhaps three of a particular shoe. Seems like the body is ever
    changing and evolving, and a shoe that works for me today might not a couple
    years from now...

    Anyway, stay warm and happy holidays to you.

    Mike C

    >From: Joshua Steinberg

    >Had to happen eventually. It's been about a year since the last pair
    >finally gave up the ghost. I knew these were worn, but didn't expect
    >they were done yet.
    >
    >Then my right foot started getting surprisingly wet during runs. First
    >few days of this I chalked it up to heavy rain, snow, water on the road,
    >etc. Then had a couple days nearly completely dry conditions outdoors,
    >still was a little wet in my right foot. Then while running one of
    >those Brooks shoe sole "pods" came loose and fell off, kinda like the
    >heat shield protective tiles of the space shuttle. That's when I
    >realized that the sole of the shoe, especially under that loose and now
    >gone tile, was worn through and leaking water into the shoe.
    >
    >So I've retired another of my Brooks Radius pairs of shoes and moved on
    >to the next. I'm a little worried because that takes me from 12 pairs
    >down to 11, or maybe 10. I stockpiled them when I realized that the
    >Radius IV was just right for me about 3-4 years ago.
    >
    >-- Josh in Syracuse

  3. Doug Freese

    Doug Freese Guest

    "Joshua Steinberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > So I've retired another of my Brooks Radius pairs of shoes and moved
    > on to the next. I'm a little worried because that takes me from 12
    > pairs down to 11, or maybe 10. I stockpiled them when I realized that
    > the Radius IV was just right for me about 3-4 years ago.

    Considering it was a year or so you were not putting any miles on your
    shoes, this is good news. Good to see you are running.

    I see you have some rain. So do we. ;)

    Enjoy the holidays!!!

    -Doug

  4. Mike Conway wrote:
    > Hey Josh, good to see you're still floating around out there---figuratively and
    > literally.

    Thanks, Mike. Yeah, I lurk every now and then. My running has not
    slacked off, just my visit frequency to rec.running.

    > ... grief for the number of running shoes I have. I'll usually
    > buy two, perhaps three of a particular shoe. Seems like the body is ever
    > changing and evolving, and a shoe that works for me today might not a couple
    > years from now...

    Huh. Interesting that it is your experience that your body and shoe
    needs evolve. My needs are unique and (so far) unchanging. Sure hope
    my shoe needs don't change 'cause I've got another 10 or so pairs of
    Brooks Radius IV's to use up. That's like $700 of shoes I bought 3-5
    years ago (can't even remember now), and I intend to get my money's worth!

    > Anyway, stay warm and happy holidays to you.

    And to you, Mike, and everyone here!
    -- Josh

  5. Doug Freese wrote:
    > Considering it was a year or so you were not putting any miles on your
    > shoes, this is good news. Good to see you are running.

    Hiya, Doug! Hmm, wonder if I gave the wrong impression at some point.
    I'd have to be dead not to run an entire year. Two winters ago I did go
    6 weeks with no running trying (eventually successfully) to heal up
    sufficiently from gastroc tears with cross-training recommended by me
    and massage therapy recommended by none other than Doug (thanks, dude!).
    Been at it ever since.

    Hmmm, what injuries have I had since then? Herniated disc in neck has
    slowed my speed (sort of an oxymoron, actually), but I've never stopped
    running from it. Disc has healed partially and plateaued, running speed
    has improved partially and plateaued. Probably can't expect any better.
    No other injuries.

    > Enjoy the holidays!!!
    > -Doug

    You, too. I'm on Christmas call for my medical group, and I'm enjoying
    it as I always do. No one calls the doctor on Christmas unless chest
    pains or labor pains are involved. Already had the labor pains call,
    hoping no one has to suffer the chest pains before the weekend is done...

    -- Josh in Syracuse

  6. Doug Freese

    Doug Freese Guest

    "Joshua Steinberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > You, too. I'm on Christmas call for my medical group, and I'm
    > enjoying it as I always do. No one calls the doctor on Christmas
    > unless chest pains or labor pains are involved. Already had the labor
    > pains call, hoping no one has to suffer the chest pains before the
    > weekend is done...

    Do you carry a crib sheet for delivering? So how many deliveries a year
    do you handle. :)

    I thought of you some weeks back. I was helping a friend paint the
    outside of his house that lived in Rosendale which is at the base of
    Mohonk. Being a fellow runner and since I was donating my time, I
    insisted that we take a midday run. A half mile from his house was the
    trail and a 1/2 hour later we were running by the Mountain Hose and up
    to the lemon squeeze. It's still a beautiful place and often kick myself
    for not taking more time to run there. I have so many trail choices that
    it's hard to decide.

    This year I took a spontaneous vacation to Rottenchester - on the lake
    and close to Sodus point. Driving time, how close is this to you?

    -Doug

  7. >I thought of you some weeks back. I was helping a friend paint the
    >outside of his house

    Do a lot of bending over DF?

    >Mountain Hose

    I bet that's not the only "hose" you had that day.

    >and often kick myself

    I'll do that for you...

    >I have so many trail choices that
    >it's hard to decide.

    Lots of bushes for you to hide in?

    >This year I took a spontaneous vacation to Rottenchester - on the lake
    >and close to Sodomy point. Driving time, how close is this to you?

    Too close.

  8. Doug Freese wrote:
    > Do you carry a crib sheet for delivering? So how many deliveries a year
    > do you handle. :)

    About 10-20 deliveries a year. Low risk OB only for this family
    medicine general practicioner.

    > I thought of you some weeks back. I was helping a friend paint the
    > outside of his house that lived in Rosendale which is at the base of
    > Mohonk. Being a fellow runner and since I was donating my time, I
    > insisted that we take a midday run. A half mile from his house was the
    > trail and a 1/2 hour later we were running by the Mountain Hose and up
    > to the lemon squeeze. It's still a beautiful place and often kick myself
    > for not taking more time to run there. I have so many trail choices that
    > it's hard to decide.

    Ah, Mohonk! Fond memories of my one visit there -- my sister's wedding.
    Marvelous little place (little, yeah right)! Too bad it's sooooooooo
    darn expensive. I ran some of the trails, too, during our 3 day wedding
    weekend stay.

    > This year I took a spontaneous vacation to Rottenchester - on the lake
    > and close to Sodus point. Driving time, how close is this to you?
    > -Doug

    We took a vacation last summer at Sodus Bay and visited Sodus Point.
    It's about 30 miles East of Rochester on the Lake Ontario coast, about
    35 miles West of Oswego, and 70 miles Northwest of Syracuse. Took about
    an hour and 15 minutes to drive. Rented a small house on the Bay and
    just did nothing for a week late in August. It was really nice.
    Nothing better than running 5 miles and then jumping in to the water to
    swim and cool off. A summertime-only pleasure to be sure in the
    Syracuse area, great white frozen tundra of the north.
    -- Josh

  9. Dot

    Dot Guest

    Joshua Steinberg wrote:
    >Nothing
    > better than running 5 miles and then jumping in to the water to swim and
    > cool off. A summertime-only pleasure to be sure in the Syracuse area,
    > great white frozen tundra of the north.
    > -- Josh

    no hot springs (won't cool you)? or overflow (will definitely cool you)?

    Dot

    --
    "If we reach all our goals, we are not setting them high enough."
    - Matt Carpenter