wet foot, shoes really do wear out (after 1200 miles)

Joshua Steinberg

Guest
Had to happen eventually. It's been about a year since the last pair
finally gave up the ghost. I knew these were worn, but didn't expect
they were done yet.

Then my right foot started getting surprisingly wet during runs. First
few days of this I chalked it up to heavy rain, snow, water on the road,
etc. Then had a couple days nearly completely dry conditions outdoors,
still was a little wet in my right foot. Then while running one of
those Brooks shoe sole "pods" came loose and fell off, kinda like the
heat shield protective tiles of the space shuttle. That's when I
realized that the sole of the shoe, especially under that loose and now
gone tile, was worn through and leaking water into the shoe.

So I've retired another of my Brooks Radius pairs of shoes and moved on
to the next. I'm a little worried because that takes me from 12 pairs
down to 11, or maybe 10. I stockpiled them when I realized that the
Radius IV was just right for me about 3-4 years ago.

-- Josh in Syracuse

Hey Josh, good to see you're still floating around out there---figuratively and
literally.

My girlfriend always...well, less so now after being together for 3 1/2
years...gives me grief for the number of running shoes I have. I'll usually
buy two, perhaps three of a particular shoe. Seems like the body is ever
changing and evolving, and a shoe that works for me today might not a couple
years from now...

Anyway, stay warm and happy holidays to you.

Mike C

"Joshua Steinberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> So I've retired another of my Brooks Radius pairs of shoes and moved
> on to the next. I'm a little worried because that takes me from 12
> pairs down to 11, or maybe 10. I stockpiled them when I realized that
> the Radius IV was just right for me about 3-4 years ago.

Considering it was a year or so you were not putting any miles on your
shoes, this is good news. Good to see you are running.

I see you have some rain. So do we. ;)

Enjoy the holidays!!!

-Doug

Mike Conway wrote:
> Hey Josh, good to see you're still floating around out there---figuratively and
> literally.

Thanks, Mike. Yeah, I lurk every now and then. My running has not
slacked off, just my visit frequency to rec.running.

> ... grief for the number of running shoes I have. I'll usually
> buy two, perhaps three of a particular shoe. Seems like the body is ever
> changing and evolving, and a shoe that works for me today might not a couple
> years from now...

Huh. Interesting that it is your experience that your body and shoe
needs evolve. My needs are unique and (so far) unchanging. Sure hope
my shoe needs don't change 'cause I've got another 10 or so pairs of
Brooks Radius IV's to use up. That's like $700 of shoes I bought 3-5
years ago (can't even remember now), and I intend to get my money's worth!

> Anyway, stay warm and happy holidays to you.

And to you, Mike, and everyone here!
-- Josh

Doug Freese wrote:
> Considering it was a year or so you were not putting any miles on your
> shoes, this is good news. Good to see you are running.

Hiya, Doug! Hmm, wonder if I gave the wrong impression at some point.
I'd have to be dead not to run an entire year. Two winters ago I did go
6 weeks with no running trying (eventually successfully) to heal up
sufficiently from gastroc tears with cross-training recommended by me
and massage therapy recommended by none other than Doug (thanks, dude!).
Been at it ever since.

Hmmm, what injuries have I had since then? Herniated disc in neck has
slowed my speed (sort of an oxymoron, actually), but I've never stopped
running from it. Disc has healed partially and plateaued, running speed
has improved partially and plateaued. Probably can't expect any better.
No other injuries.

> Enjoy the holidays!!!
> -Doug

You, too. I'm on Christmas call for my medical group, and I'm enjoying
it as I always do. No one calls the doctor on Christmas unless chest
pains or labor pains are involved. Already had the labor pains call,
hoping no one has to suffer the chest pains before the weekend is done...

> You, too. I'm on Christmas call for my medical group, and I'm
> enjoying it as I always do. No one calls the doctor on Christmas
> unless chest pains or labor pains are involved. Already had the labor
> pains call, hoping no one has to suffer the chest pains before the
> weekend is done...

Do you carry a crib sheet for delivering? So how many deliveries a year
do you handle. :)

I thought of you some weeks back. I was helping a friend paint the
outside of his house that lived in Rosendale which is at the base of
Mohonk. Being a fellow runner and since I was donating my time, I
insisted that we take a midday run. A half mile from his house was the
trail and a 1/2 hour later we were running by the Mountain Hose and up
to the lemon squeeze. It's still a beautiful place and often kick myself
for not taking more time to run there. I have so many trail choices that
it's hard to decide.

This year I took a spontaneous vacation to Rottenchester - on the lake
and close to Sodus point. Driving time, how close is this to you?

-Doug

>I thought of you some weeks back. I was helping a friend paint the
>outside of his house

Do a lot of bending over DF?

>Mountain Hose

I bet that's not the only "hose" you had that day.

>and often kick myself

I'll do that for you...

>I have so many trail choices that
>it's hard to decide.

Lots of bushes for you to hide in?

>This year I took a spontaneous vacation to Rottenchester - on the lake
>and close to Sodomy point. Driving time, how close is this to you?

Too close.

Doug Freese wrote:
> Do you carry a crib sheet for delivering? So how many deliveries a year
> do you handle. :)

About 10-20 deliveries a year. Low risk OB only for this family
medicine general practicioner.

> I thought of you some weeks back. I was helping a friend paint the
> outside of his house that lived in Rosendale which is at the base of
> Mohonk. Being a fellow runner and since I was donating my time, I
> insisted that we take a midday run. A half mile from his house was the
> trail and a 1/2 hour later we were running by the Mountain Hose and up
> to the lemon squeeze. It's still a beautiful place and often kick myself
> for not taking more time to run there. I have so many trail choices that
> it's hard to decide.

Ah, Mohonk! Fond memories of my one visit there -- my sister's wedding.
Marvelous little place (little, yeah right)! Too bad it's sooooooooo
darn expensive. I ran some of the trails, too, during our 3 day wedding
weekend stay.

> This year I took a spontaneous vacation to Rottenchester - on the lake
> and close to Sodus point. Driving time, how close is this to you?
> -Doug

We took a vacation last summer at Sodus Bay and visited Sodus Point.
It's about 30 miles East of Rochester on the Lake Ontario coast, about
35 miles West of Oswego, and 70 miles Northwest of Syracuse. Took about
an hour and 15 minutes to drive. Rented a small house on the Bay and
just did nothing for a week late in August. It was really nice.
Nothing better than running 5 miles and then jumping in to the water to
swim and cool off. A summertime-only pleasure to be sure in the
Syracuse area, great white frozen tundra of the north.
-- Josh

Joshua Steinberg wrote:
>Nothing
> better than running 5 miles and then jumping in to the water to swim and
> cool off. A summertime-only pleasure to be sure in the Syracuse area,
> great white frozen tundra of the north.
> -- Josh

no hot springs (won't cool you)? or overflow (will definitely cool you)?

Dot

--
"If we reach all our goals, we are not setting them high enough."
- Matt Carpenter