wet grey and crowded - UK pics

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by John Atkinson, Oct 16, 2003.

  1. John Atkinson wrote:

    > http://www.uploadit.org/files/151003-yethersgill-head.jpg
    >
    > http://www.uploadit.org/files/151003-john-at-scar-house.jpg
    >
    > http://www.uploadit.org/files/151003-descent-to-widdale.jpg
    >
    > http://www.uploadit.org/files/151003-galibier.JPG ok, that one's a cheat...

    Talk about desolate, I'm sure it is fun riding, but personally, I need a tree or two, cactus, maybe
    a boulder. Grey and sparse, no wonder the brits have a better appreciation for good beer. :)

    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove ".nospam" to reply)

  2. Pete Jones

    Pete Jones Guest

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 15:57:38 GMT, Craig Brossman <[email protected]> blathered:

    >> http://www.uploadit.org/files/151003-yethersgill-head.jpg
    >> http://www.uploadit.org/files/151003-john-at-scar-house.jpg
    >> http://www.uploadit.org/files/151003-descent-to-widdale.jpg
    >
    >Talk about desolate, I'm sure it is fun riding, but personally, I need a tree or two, cactus, maybe
    >a boulder. Grey and sparse, no wonder the brits have a better appreciation for good beer. :)

    Monday - http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/taunt/monday.jpg

    This morning I was up here, saying goodbye to some local favourites before heading overseas for the
    winter (pictures taken on previous rides): http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/temp/doddspan.jpg
    http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/temp/redtarn_pan.jpg

    Desolate is good.

    I've never really understood negative comments about a green landscape bursting with life, coming
    from a nation that seems to regard desert riding as the pinnacle of mountain biking.

    Now where shall I go tomorrow.....?

  3. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

  4. Pete Jones

    Pete Jones Guest

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 17:35:23 +0100, "John Atkinson" <[email protected]> blathered:

    >> http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/taunt/monday.jpg
    >
    >what no snow on High Street yet?

    No, too early yet. There was a fringe round the corries in Scotland over the weekend.

    >where are you off to this time??

    NZ, cycling & climbing, visiting a mate who emigrated there 2 years back.

  5. "Pete Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 17:35:23 +0100, "John Atkinson" <[email protected]> blathered:
    >
    > >> Desolate is good.
    > >>
    > >> Now where shall I go tomorrow.....?
    > >
    > >how about here??
    > >
    > >http://www.uploadit.org/files/151003-ruth%20ulva%20ben%20more%202.JPG
    >
    > No....here, I think: http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/temp/inbred-nickpan.jpg

    lunchtime today will be here..

    http://www.uploadit.org/files/161003-lane-with-haws.jpg

  6. Pete Jones wrote:
    > On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 15:57:38 GMT, Craig Brossman <[email protected]> blathered:
    >

    >>>http://www.uploadit.org/files/151003-yethersgill-head.jpg
    >>>http://www.uploadit.org/files/151003-john-at-scar-house.jpg
    >>>http://www.uploadit.org/files/151003-descent-to-widdale.jpg
    >>
    >>Talk about desolate, I'm sure it is fun riding, but personally, I need a tree or two, cactus,
    >>maybe a boulder. Grey and sparse, no wonder the brits have a better appreciation for good beer. :)
    >

    > Monday - http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/taunt/monday.jpg
    >
    > This morning I was up here, saying goodbye to some local favourites before heading overseas for
    > the winter (pictures taken on previous rides):
    > http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/temp/doddspan.jpg
    > http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/temp/redtarn_pan.jpg
    >
    > Desolate is good.
    >
    > I've never really understood negative comments about a green landscape bursting with life, coming
    > from a nation that seems to regard desert riding as the pinnacle of mountain biking.
    >
    > Now where shall I go tomorrow.....?

    Don't take it personally, I don't represent the nation, and do not find desert riding the pinnacle
    of mountain biking, just my opinion.

    I do like the diversity of riding my particular area offers me, I can ride areas similar to that but
    of a different color, ride in the woods or ride over 10000 feet with veiws for many many miles. I
    think what makes your area less appealing to me is not so much the terrain, but the weather. Here in
    Colorado we are spoiled, 3 or 4 days without sun and people start to complain ... a lot!

    I have spent some time in N. England and Scottland and found the terrain beautiful, but bleak at the
    same time. I think the weather was a large contributing factor.

    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove ".nospam" to reply)

  7. Pete Jones

    Pete Jones Guest

  8. John Atkinson wrote:

    > "Pete Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 17:35:23 +0100, "John Atkinson" <[email protected]> blathered:

    > > >how about here??
    > > >
    > > >http://www.uploadit.org/files/151003-ruth%20ulva%20ben%20more%202.JPG
    > >
    > > No....here, I think: http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/temp/inbred-nickpan.jpg
    > >

    > lunchtime today will be here..
    >
    > http://www.uploadit.org/files/161003-lane-with-haws.jpg

    Seeing as we're doing UK pictures: here are a few I took about a month ago. John gets a prize if he
    can tell me where this is

    http://icd.internetphotoservices.co.uk/public/detail.html?c_album=369675

    Phil

  9. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

  10. Penny S wrote:

    > Phil.Winterbourne scrawled in bright red lipstick:
    > >
    > > Seeing as we're doing UK pictures: here are a few I took about a month ago. John gets a prize if
    > > he can tell me where this is
    > >
    > > http://icd.internetphotoservices.co.uk/public/detail.html?c_album=369675
    > >
    > > Phil
    >
    > All the trees in UK were cut down about 1000 years ago, right?
    >
    > Penny

    A lot were - to create farm land, but more recently I think it was the coal mining industry which
    was responsible for most of the deforestation (particularly in the north where the coal is/was). I
    have a vague recollection from college that we nearly lost the first world war, not on the battle
    field, but in the pits. We were running desperately short of wood for pit props. Without coal the
    steel industry would have faltered and arms production stopped! In the aftermath of the war the
    forestry commission was formed to create new forests to make sure this didn't happen again. Now
    those FC woods are increasingly home to some fantastic purpose build MTB trails like the ones
    described here at Coed y Brenin in North wales http://www.mtbbritain.co.uk/route_guides.html

    Phil

  11. "Phil.Winterbourne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > John Atkinson wrote:
    > >
    > > "Pete Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 17:35:23 +0100, "John Atkinson" <[email protected]> blathered:

    > > > No....here, I think: http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/temp/inbred-nickpan.jpg
    > > >

    > > lunchtime today will be here..
    > >
    > > http://www.uploadit.org/files/161003-lane-with-haws.jpg
    >
    > Seeing as we're doing UK pictures: here are a few I took about a month ago. John gets a prize if
    > he can tell me where this is
    >
    > http://icd.internetphotoservices.co.uk/public/detail.html?c_album=369675
    >
    > Phil

    Ogden - short loop - what have I won?

  12. "Pete Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 10:21:29 +0100, "John Atkinson" <[email protected]> blathered:
    >
    > >lunchtime today will be here.. http://www.uploadit.org/files/161003-lane-with-haws.jpg
    >
    > Where's that - is it the Howgills in the background?
    >
    > This morning - http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/temp/cross.jpg
    >
    > It's The Last Ride tomorrow, then it's time to mothball the bike for the winter and twiddle my
    > thumbs for a week. Ho hum.

    no, rather smaller I'm afraid its Sharp haw and Rough Haw (Flasby Fell) looking back down from Boss
    Moor (just North of Skipton)

    The view yesterday (from further west) was this.

    http://www.uploadit.org/files/171003-hetton-common-web.jpg

    You can see the work that theYDNP has done on the bridleway, previously this was torn up by x-ers.
    It makes for a fast easy ride in a lunchtime but I did like the challenge of getting through some of
    the tricky bits that have now disappeared.

    Where were you then? N of Skiddaw?

  13. "Phil.Winterbourne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Penny S wrote:
    > >
    > > Phil.Winterbourne scrawled in bright red lipstick:
    > > >
    > > > Seeing as we're doing UK pictures: here are a few I took about a month ago. John gets a prize
    > > > if he can tell me where this is

    http://icd.internetphotoservices.co.uk/public/detail.html?c_album=369675

    > > > Phil

    seeing as we are posting pics with members of the younger brigade, a prize to anyone who can name
    the spot where this one came from... (easy?)

    http://www.uploadit.org/files/171003-mikey-bike-web.jpg

  14. John Atkinson wrote:

    > "Phil.Winterbourne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >

    > > John Atkinson wrote:
    > > >
    > > > "Pete Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...

    > > > lunchtime today will be here..
    > > >
    > > > http://www.uploadit.org/files/161003-lane-with-haws.jpg
    > >
    > > Seeing as we're doing UK pictures: here are a few I took about a month ago. John gets a prize if
    > > he can tell me where this is
    > >
    > > http://icd.internetphotoservices.co.uk/public/detail.html?c_album=369675
    > >
    > > Phil
    >
    > Ogden - short loop - what have I won?

    Ah yes I forgot I'd named the album duh! My son's favourite little ride
    - it's only 6 miles but for me captures the essence of the region.

    Phil

  15. John Atkinson wrote:

    > "Phil.Winterbourne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >

    > > Penny S wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Phil.Winterbourne scrawled in bright red lipstick:

    > http://icd.internetphotoservices.co.uk/public/detail.html?c_album=369675

    > seeing as we are posting pics with members of the younger brigade, a prize to anyone who can name
    > the spot where this one came from... (easy?)
    >
    > http://www.uploadit.org/files/171003-mikey-bike-web.jpg

    Easy - Fort William

    Phil

  16. John Atkinson wrote:

    > "Pete Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 10:21:29 +0100, "John Atkinson" <[email protected]> blathered:
    > >
    > > >lunchtime today will be here.. http://www.uploadit.org/files/161003-lane-with-haws.jpg
    > >
    > > Where's that - is it the Howgills in the background?
    > >
    > > This morning - http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/temp/cross.jpg
    > >
    > > It's The Last Ride tomorrow, then it's time to mothball the bike for the winter and twiddle my
    > > thumbs for a week. Ho hum.
    > >

    > no, rather smaller I'm afraid its Sharp haw and Rough Haw (Flasby Fell) looking back down from
    > Boss Moor (just North of Skipton)
    >
    > The view yesterday (from further west) was this.
    >
    > http://www.uploadit.org/files/171003-hetton-common-web.jpg
    >
    > You can see the work that theYDNP has done on the bridleway, previously this was torn up by x-ers.
    > It makes for a fast easy ride in a lunchtime but I did like the challenge of getting through some
    > of the tricky bits that have now disappeared.
    >
    > Where were you then? N of Skiddaw?

    I hope Penny notices the trees ;-)

    Phil

  17. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 08:38:46 +0100, John Atkinson wrote:

    > seeing as we are posting pics with members of the younger brigade, a prize to anyone who can name
    > the spot where this one came from... (easy?)
    >
    > http://www.uploadit.org/files/171003-mikey-bike-web.jpg

    Fort Bill.

    Here's a shot of the same hill at the World Cup, and, I'd never noticed this before but that's Andy
    Kiffin in the black t-shirt. http://j-harris.net/bike/fort_william/FXCD0014.JPG

    --
    a.m-b FAQ: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm

  18. "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
    > On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 08:38:46 +0100, John Atkinson wrote:
    >
    > > seeing as we are posting pics with members of the younger brigade, a
    prize
    > > to anyone who can name the spot where this one came from... (easy?)
    > >
    > > http://www.uploadit.org/files/171003-mikey-bike-web.jpg
    >
    > Fort Bill.
    >
    > Here's a shot of the same hill at the World Cup, and, I'd never noticed this before but that's
    > Andy Kiffin in the black t-shirt. http://j-harris.net/bike/fort_william/FXCD0014.JPG
    >
    > --
    > a.m-b FAQ: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm
    >
    > a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

    congrats both you and phil win the prize, be here b4 1330 today to collect...

    either of you do the worlds xc course??

  19. No. When I was last there (March) it was still being built. Had a great ride though, even though it
    was a bit wet:

    http://icd.internetphotoservices.co.uk/public/detail.html?c_album=438963

    Phil