Wet Printed Maps

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by sandy saunders, Mar 19, 2006.

  1. Some time ago I discovered that Anquet sold waterproof paper for printing
    maps (or recommended a company). I considered buying some, but decided
    against it. However, a few weeks ago while walking on the Downs north of
    Worthing in pouring rain, my two maps became a right mess. Although I carry
    an OS map, I find the A4 printed ones easier to use. So, I thought, how can
    I get around the problem. (I don't want to carry one of those rather large
    and bulky map case, you know the ones, they always seem to hit you in the
    face when windy!) Well, it came to me the other day - freezer bags. Yes,
    clear plastic, easy to bend, takes an A4 sheet and either a zip or squeeze
    watertight closing. Perfect solution and easy to fold to put in the pocket.
    Awaiting Patent acceptance!

    --
    Sandy Saunders @ www.thewalkzone.co.uk

    'Mountains or Mole Hills .....
    summiting still brings the
    same excitement'

    Tags:

  2. Ysgrifennodd "sandy saunders" <[email protected]> mewn neges
    newyddion:2NgTf.2422$H%[email protected]
    > Some time ago I discovered that Anquet sold waterproof paper for printing
    > maps (or recommended a company). I considered buying some, but decided
    > against it. However, a few weeks ago while walking on the Downs north of
    > Worthing in pouring rain, my two maps became a right mess. Although I
    > carry an OS map, I find the A4 printed ones easier to use. So, I thought,
    > how can I get around the problem. (I don't want to carry one of those
    > rather large and bulky map case, you know the ones, they always seem to
    > hit you in the face when windy!) Well, it came to me the other day -
    > freezer bags. Yes, clear plastic, easy to bend, takes an A4 sheet and
    > either a zip or squeeze watertight closing. Perfect solution and easy to
    > fold to put in the pocket. Awaiting Patent acceptance!
    >
    > --
    > Sandy Saunders @ www.thewalkzone.co.uk
    >
    > 'Mountains or Mole Hills .....
    > summiting still brings the
    > same excitement'

    Or use an a4 wallet, sellotape the top closed. Even has nice little holes
    along the side to attach your compass!

    t dave r

  3. Bryan Hall

    Bryan Hall Guest

    Yep - discovered the resealable freezer bags some time ago.

    I'd recommend the Tesco ones- large & medium sizes and come in rolls of 15-
    20 (I think) for less than £1.50
    It means you can afford to use a few times and throw away (or use for the
    freezer) as soon as the plastic starts to obscure the map.

    "sandy saunders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:2NgTf.2422$H%[email protected]
    > Some time ago I discovered that Anquet sold waterproof paper for printing
    > maps (or recommended a company). I considered buying some, but decided
    > against it. However, a few weeks ago while walking on the Downs north of
    > Worthing in pouring rain, my two maps became a right mess. Although I
    > carry an OS map, I find the A4 printed ones easier to use. So, I thought,
    > how can I get around the problem. (I don't want to carry one of those
    > rather large and bulky map case, you know the ones, they always seem to
    > hit you in the face when windy!) Well, it came to me the other day -
    > freezer bags. Yes, clear plastic, easy to bend, takes an A4 sheet and
    > either a zip or squeeze watertight closing. Perfect solution and easy to
    > fold to put in the pocket. Awaiting Patent acceptance!
    >
    > --
    > Sandy Saunders @ www.thewalkzone.co.uk
    >
    > 'Mountains or Mole Hills .....
    > summiting still brings the
    > same excitement'

  4. Bryan Hall

    Bryan Hall Guest

    P.S - My lawyer will be talking to your lawyer about patent precedent
    ;-)

    > "sandy saunders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:2NgTf.2422$H%[email protected]

    Awaiting Patent acceptance!

  5. Graham Seed

    Graham Seed Guest

    "Bryan Hall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Yep - discovered the resealable freezer bags some time ago.
    >
    > I'd recommend the Tesco ones- large & medium sizes and come in rolls of
    > 15- 20 (I think) for less than £1.50
    > It means you can afford to use a few times and throw away (or use for the
    > freezer) as soon as the plastic starts to obscure the map.

    I was going to say exactly the same thing. I bought an Orleib case some time
    ago, but find myself going back to the Tesco Mediums (takes a folded
    Landranger or Explorer) as they do the job excellently for about 10p, and I
    can't find the bloody Ortleib now.
    Tesco only print their logo on one side of the bag, but if they find out
    we're grtting a cheap mapcase they might (1) print the logo on both sides or
    (2) charge you £30 for your storage bags so..........shhhhhhhhhh

    Graham

  6. rob

    rob Guest

    i use the clear pockets from staples work out about a penny or so each

    "Bryan Hall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > P.S - My lawyer will be talking to your lawyer about patent precedent
    > ;-)
    >
    >> "sandy saunders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:2NgTf.2422$H%[email protected]

    > Awaiting Patent acceptance!

  7. W. D. Grey

    W. D. Grey Guest

    In article <2NgTf.2422$H%[email protected]>, sandy saunders
    <[email protected]> writes
    >Some time ago I discovered that Anquet sold waterproof paper for printing
    >maps (or recommended a company). I considered buying some, but decided
    >against it. However, a few weeks ago while walking on the Downs north of
    >Worthing in pouring rain, my two maps became a right mess. Although I carry
    >an OS map, I find the A4 printed ones easier to use. So, I thought, how can
    >I get around the problem. (I don't want to carry one of those rather large
    >and bulky map case, you know the ones, they always seem to hit you in the
    >face when windy!) Well, it came to me the other day - freezer bags. Yes,
    >clear plastic, easy to bend, takes an A4 sheet and either a zip or squeeze
    >watertight closing. Perfect solution and easy to fold to put in the pocket.
    >Awaiting Patent acceptance!

    The solution was transparently obvious :)

    Probably a bit cheaper and more manageable than laminated maps.
    --
    Bill Grey
    http://www.billboy.co.uk

  8. Bryan Hall

    Bryan Hall Guest

    No logo on the freezer bags I'm using - there the ones with the resealable
    neck

    "Graham Seed" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Tesco only print their logo on one side of the bag, but if they find out
    > we're grtting a cheap mapcase they might (1) print the logo on both sides
    > or (2) charge you £30 for your storage bags so..........shhhhhhhhhh
    >
    > Graham

  9. Graham Seed

    Graham Seed Guest

    "Bryan Hall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > No logo on the freezer bags I'm using - there the ones with the resealable
    > neck

    Yep, same thing, probably a change in the product design which is better
    news for us :)

    Graham

  10. Nick Mason

    Nick Mason Guest

    sandy saunders wrote:
    > Some time ago I discovered that Anquet sold waterproof paper for printing
    > maps (or recommended a company). I considered buying some, but decided
    > against it. However, a few weeks ago while walking on the Downs north of
    > Worthing in pouring rain, my two maps became a right mess. Although I carry
    > an OS map, I find the A4 printed ones easier to use. So, I thought, how can
    > I get around the problem. (I don't want to carry one of those rather large
    > and bulky map case, you know the ones, they always seem to hit you in the
    > face when windy!) Well, it came to me the other day - freezer bags. Yes,
    > clear plastic, easy to bend, takes an A4 sheet and either a zip or squeeze
    > watertight closing. Perfect solution and easy to fold to put in the pocket.
    > Awaiting Patent acceptance!

    A cheap laminator from the supermarket of your choice for the
    maps you want to use more than a couple of times.

    Or, in the case of one of my friends, some good old Blue Peter
    Sticky backed plastic. Sandwich the map and trim to size.

    --
    Regards

    Nick

  11. Bob Mannix

    Bob Mannix Guest

    "Bryan Hall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Yep - discovered the resealable freezer bags some time ago.
    >
    > I'd recommend the Tesco ones- large & medium sizes and come in rolls of
    > 15- 20 (I think) for less than £1.50
    > It means you can afford to use a few times and throw away (or use for the
    > freezer) as soon as the plastic starts to obscure the map.

    I use them for mobile phones, wallet, camera etc to keep them dry (even if
    in boats etc, cheap and very effective.

    --
    Bob Mannix
    (anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

  12. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    sandy saunders wrote:

    >Some time ago I discovered that Anquet sold waterproof paper for printing
    >maps (or recommended a company). I considered buying some, but decided
    >against it. However, a few weeks ago while walking on the Downs north of
    >Worthing in pouring rain, my two maps became a right mess. Although I carry
    >an OS map, I find the A4 printed ones easier to use. So, I thought, how can
    >I get around the problem. (I don't want to carry one of those rather large
    >and bulky map case, you know the ones, they always seem to hit you in the
    >face when windy!)

    I find my Ortlieb A4 document case is the dogs. With a map printout or
    two in it I roll it up and put it in my pocket. If it was wildly windy
    I suppose I could connect it to a zip puller with a cord but I've
    never felt the need.

  13. > A cheap laminator from the supermarket of your choice for the maps you
    > want to use more than a couple of times.

    Laminatings OK, but with freezer bags it is more supple and therefore easier
    to fold, and straighten, with any damage.

    > Or, in the case of one of my friends, some good old Blue Peter Sticky
    > backed plastic. Sandwich the map and trim to size.

    Again, will it fold as easy as a soft plastic freezer!

    --
    Sandy Saunders @ www.thewalkzone.co.uk

    'Mountains or Mole Hills .....
    summiting still brings the
    same excitement'

  14. In article <2NgTf.2422$H%[email protected]>,
    sandy saunders <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Some time ago I discovered that Anquet sold waterproof paper for
    > printing maps (or recommended a company). I considered buying some,
    > but decided against it. However, a few weeks ago while walking on the
    > Downs north of Worthing in pouring rain, my two maps became a right
    > mess. Although I carry an OS map, I find the A4 printed ones easier
    > to use. So, I thought, how can I get around the problem. (I don't
    > want to carry one of those rather large and bulky map case, you know
    > the ones, they always seem to hit you in the face when windy!) Well,
    > it came to me the other day - freezer bags. Yes, clear plastic, easy
    > to bend, takes an A4 sheet and either a zip or squeeze watertight
    > closing. Perfect solution and easy to fold to put in the pocket.
    > Awaiting Patent acceptance!

    I've been using large resealable bags to hold my OS maps in for ages!
    I've got a supply of 15" x 20" tough resealable polybags that nicely take
    an OS Map with 4 'squares' visible, just about right for my walks,
    especially if you fold it so the walk covers both sides. I find a 20mile
    circular just about fits on without having to refold the map. I bought
    them from "Plastics by Post" on the Isle of Wight, who very kindly even
    sent me samples first. They usually last several months before I have to
    replace them as they get snagged on brambles etc.

    Andrew

    --
    +----------------------------------------+---------------------------------+
    | Andrew Conroy, Owl-Art Un-Ltd. | email: [email protected] |

  15. Bryan Hall

    Bryan Hall Guest

    ...and its handy to hold your sarnies as well!

    > Again, will it fold as easy as a soft plastic freezer!

  16. Richard Webb

    Richard Webb Guest

    Now that pre marked maps are common at most orienteering events, I
    have a vast collection of map cases, ideal for A4 Anquet (or your
    choice of provider) printouts...

    Richard Webb