Wet Rans Seat Foam: Solutions?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Jkeenan, Mar 30, 2003.

  1. Jkeenan

    Jkeenan Guest

    I'm sure this has been posted but I couldn't find past notes.

    My rans foam seat got soaked and it's heavier than I am!! Any solutions? Thought I had it covered
    but I didn't..my make shift plastic shifted and it got water logged in brevent I was doing in a
    torrential downpour for four hours.

    Squeezed it out, but it's still water logged.

    Thanks

    joe 'recumbo' keenan

    Tags:

  2. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    JKeenan wrote:

    > I'm sure this has been posted but I couldn't find past notes.
    >
    > My rans foam seat got soaked and it's heavier than I am!! Any solutions? Thought I had it covered
    > but I didn't..my make shift plastic shifted and it got water logged in brevent I was doing in a
    > torrential downpour for four hours.
    >
    > Squeezed it out, but it's still water logged.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > joe 'recumbo' keenan

    Joe,

    Been there, done that. :( To be specific, it was the 1999 yellow foam cushion that was waterlogged.

    I found that I had to wring mine multiple times. After wringing, I would let the foam sit a few
    hours so most of the water would migrate to the bottom, then wrung it again. I repeated this several
    times, then put the foam in my water heater closet that was about 120 F inside (crappy old water
    heater in crappy old apartment). A better alternative if one owns laundry appliances would be to put
    the foam through several spin cycles, and then through several drying cycles at VERY low heat.

    The foam also dries more rapidly if it is correctly referred to as RANS seat foam. ;)

  3. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Tom Sherman wrote:
    > ... let the foam sit a few hours so most of the water would migrate to the bottom, then wrung it
    > again...

    Replace "wrung" with "wring". D'oh!

  4. Harv

    Harv Guest

    After wringing it out, stand it up against a something like a chair's legs in front of a 20" box
    fan. That will speed up the drying. "JKeenan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm sure this has been posted but I couldn't find past notes.
    >
    > My rans foam seat got soaked and it's heavier than I am!! Any solutions? Thought I had it covered
    > but I didn't..my make shift plastic shifted and
    it
    > got water logged in brevent I was doing in a torrential downpour for four hours.
    >
    > Squeezed it out, but it's still water logged.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > joe 'recumbo' keenan

  5. Ben Fox

    Ben Fox Guest

    Tom, Have you tried diapers? Ben Fox

    > Tom Sherman wrote:
    > > ... let the foam sit a few hours so most of the water would migrate to the bottom, then wrung it
    > > again...
    >
    > Replace "wrung" with "wring". D'oh!

  6. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Ben Fox wrote:

    > Tom, Have you tried diapers? Ben Fox

    Ben,

    Not since the early 1970's.

  7. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > I'm sure this has been posted but I couldn't find past notes.
    >
    > My rans foam seat got soaked and it's heavier than I am!! Any solutions? Thought I had it covered
    > but I didn't..my make shift plastic shifted and it got water logged in brevent I was doing in a
    > torrential downpour for four hours.
    >
    > Squeezed it out, but it's still water logged.

    Cradle it in a bent coat hanger (what else!) and hang it so that the water settles to one end. As it
    collects in the lower end, squeeze the accumulated water out.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  8. Replace the foam with either the very open filter material like used on Bacchhetta, Euro bents, etc,
    or closed cell foam (EVA) from a foam shop. Use as much as it takes to get comfy. Dan Kluckhuhn

    "JKeenan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm sure this has been posted but I couldn't find past notes.
    >
    > My rans foam seat got soaked and it's heavier than I am!! Any solutions? Thought I had it covered
    > but I didn't..my make shift plastic shifted and
    it
    > got water logged in brevent I was doing in a torrential downpour for four hours.
    >
    > Squeezed it out, but it's still water logged.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > joe 'recumbo' keenan

  9. Harv

    Harv Guest

    Wouldn't your ass get exceptionally sweaty on a closed cell foam pad? "Dan Kluckhuhn"
    > Replace the foam with either the very open filter material like used on Bacchhetta, Euro bents,
    > etc, or closed cell foam (EVA) from a foam shop.
    Use
    > as much as it takes to get comfy. Dan Kluckhuhn
    >
    > "JKeenan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I'm sure this has been posted but I couldn't find past notes.
    > >
    > > My rans foam seat got soaked and it's heavier than I am!! Any solutions? Thought I had it
    > > covered but I didn't..my make shift plastic shifted and
    > it
    > > got water logged in brevent I was doing in a torrential downpour for
    four
    > > hours.
    > >
    > > Squeezed it out, but it's still water logged.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > joe 'recumbo' keenan

  10. You may not like this suggestion but I thought the RANS Seat was too bulky and so I bought 1/2" (or
    it may have been 5/8") thick dense camping pad material and used the original RANS low density foam
    as a template to cut out two pieces of camping pad material. I used them both to double up the
    thickness and placed it directly on the plastic molded bottom of the RANS seat. It isn't as soft as
    the RANS foam but my seatback is on an incline and so my bottom only feels about 70% of my weight.

    The added benefit is that when it rains, the camping pad material does not soak up the water and
    so...no drying necessary. It's ready to go the next day when the sun is out !

    Not sure if you can see the way it looks but believe my photos on my website reflect the camping pad
    material in place of the foam. The foam pad is in my closet in case I ever want to put it back on.
    So far, I have been happy with the camping pad material and have had it that way for about 3 years.
    http://olarryr.homestead.com/home.html

    Larry Raphael Barcroft Dakota #02, Metallic Blue Oakton, VA

    "JKeenan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm sure this has been posted but I couldn't find past notes.
    >
    > My rans foam seat got soaked and it's heavier than I am!! Any solutions? Thought I had it covered
    > but I didn't..my make shift plastic shifted and it got water logged in brevent I was doing in a
    > torrential downpour for four hours.
    >
    > Squeezed it out, but it's still water logged.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > joe 'recumbo' keenan

  11. Al Kubeluis

    Al Kubeluis Guest

    Ben, "nude", "diapers" - great suggestions! any photos?
    --
    ~~~al.kubeluis..md.usa.earth.sun.milkyway.virgo.universe..corsa~~~

    "Ben Fox" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Tom, Have you tried diapers? Ben Fox
    >
    > "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > Tom Sherman wrote:
    > > > ... let the foam sit a few hours so most of the water would migrate to the bottom, then wrung
    > > > it again...
    > >
    > > Replace "wrung" with "wring". D'oh!

  12. I use closed cell foam under the filter foam on my lowracer seat portion and it doesn't get any
    sweatier than on my Rocket with the RANS foam or on my rocket with filter foam only. The filter foam
    actually compresses to almost nothing if it is only on the seat or in an upright position. When laid
    back the filter foam doesn't compress so much and provides a little ventilation. Dan Kluckhuhn

    "harv" <harv*no_spam*@spininternet.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Wouldn't your ass get exceptionally sweaty on a closed cell foam pad? "Dan Kluckhuhn"
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Replace the foam with either the very open filter material like used on Bacchhetta, Euro bents,
    > > etc, or closed cell foam (EVA) from a foam shop.
    > Use
    > > as much as it takes to get comfy. Dan Kluckhuhn
    > >
    > > "JKeenan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > I'm sure this has been posted but I couldn't find past notes.
    > > >
    > > > My rans foam seat got soaked and it's heavier than I am!! Any
    solutions?
    > > > Thought I had it covered but I didn't..my make shift plastic shifted
    and
    > > it
    > > > got water logged in brevent I was doing in a torrential downpour for
    > four
    > > > hours.
    > > >
    > > > Squeezed it out, but it's still water logged.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks
    > > >
    > > > joe 'recumbo' keenan

  13. Paul Milner

    Paul Milner Guest

    "JKeenan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm sure this has been posted but I couldn't find past notes.
    >
    > My rans foam seat got soaked and it's heavier than I am!! Any solutions? Thought I had it covered
    > but I didn't..my make shift plastic shifted and it got water logged in brevent I was doing in a
    > torrential downpour for four hours.
    >
    > Squeezed it out, but it's still water logged.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > joe 'recumbo' keenan
    Hi Joe, Take the foam by a carwash where they finish washing by hand. The carwash should have a
    high-speed cloth washer. Final rinse is at great gobs of rpms. It should sling the out very well and
    the foam will be all but dry. Paul Milner

  14. Derek Swift

    Derek Swift Guest

    On my Burley which I have a RANS seat base on, I removed the cover from the seat, wrapped the foam
    in a plastic bag and replaced the seat cover. This works perfectly, even in a down pour.

    Derek