Wet Rans Seat Foam: Solutions?

Jkeenan

Guest
I'm sure this has been posted but I couldn't find past notes.

My rans foam seat got soaked and it's heavier than I am!! Any solutions? Thought I had it covered
but I didn't..my make shift plastic shifted and it got water logged in brevent I was doing in a
torrential downpour for four hours.

Squeezed it out, but it's still water logged.

Thanks

joe 'recumbo' keenan

JKeenan wrote:

> I'm sure this has been posted but I couldn't find past notes.
>
> My rans foam seat got soaked and it's heavier than I am!! Any solutions? Thought I had it covered
> but I didn't..my make shift plastic shifted and it got water logged in brevent I was doing in a
> torrential downpour for four hours.
>
> Squeezed it out, but it's still water logged.
>
> Thanks
>
> joe 'recumbo' keenan

Joe,

Been there, done that. :( To be specific, it was the 1999 yellow foam cushion that was waterlogged.

I found that I had to wring mine multiple times. After wringing, I would let the foam sit a few
hours so most of the water would migrate to the bottom, then wrung it again. I repeated this several
times, then put the foam in my water heater closet that was about 120 F inside (crappy old water
heater in crappy old apartment). A better alternative if one owns laundry appliances would be to put
the foam through several spin cycles, and then through several drying cycles at VERY low heat.

The foam also dries more rapidly if it is correctly referred to as RANS seat foam. ;)

Tom Sherman wrote:
> ... let the foam sit a few hours so most of the water would migrate to the bottom, then wrung it
> again...

Replace "wrung" with "wring". D'oh!

After wringing it out, stand it up against a something like a chair's legs in front of a 20" box
fan. That will speed up the drying. "JKeenan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm sure this has been posted but I couldn't find past notes.
>
> My rans foam seat got soaked and it's heavier than I am!! Any solutions? Thought I had it covered
> but I didn't..my make shift plastic shifted and
it
> got water logged in brevent I was doing in a torrential downpour for four hours.
>
> Squeezed it out, but it's still water logged.
>
> Thanks
>
> joe 'recumbo' keenan

Tom, Have you tried diapers? Ben Fox

Ben Fox wrote:

> Tom, Have you tried diapers? Ben Fox

Ben,

Not since the early 1970's.

> I'm sure this has been posted but I couldn't find past notes.
>
> My rans foam seat got soaked and it's heavier than I am!! Any solutions? Thought I had it covered
> but I didn't..my make shift plastic shifted and it got water logged in brevent I was doing in a
> torrential downpour for four hours.
>
> Squeezed it out, but it's still water logged.

Cradle it in a bent coat hanger (what else!) and hang it so that the water settles to one end. As it
collects in the lower end, squeeze the accumulated water out.

- Bellaire, TX USA -

Replace the foam with either the very open filter material like used on Bacchhetta, Euro bents, etc,
or closed cell foam (EVA) from a foam shop. Use as much as it takes to get comfy. Dan Kluckhuhn

"JKeenan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm sure this has been posted but I couldn't find past notes.
>
> My rans foam seat got soaked and it's heavier than I am!! Any solutions? Thought I had it covered
> but I didn't..my make shift plastic shifted and
it
> got water logged in brevent I was doing in a torrential downpour for four hours.
>
> Squeezed it out, but it's still water logged.
>
> Thanks
>
> joe 'recumbo' keenan

Wouldn't your ass get exceptionally sweaty on a closed cell foam pad? "Dan Kluckhuhn"
> Replace the foam with either the very open filter material like used on Bacchhetta, Euro bents,
> etc, or closed cell foam (EVA) from a foam shop.
Use
> as much as it takes to get comfy. Dan Kluckhuhn
>
> "JKeenan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I'm sure this has been posted but I couldn't find past notes.
> >
> > My rans foam seat got soaked and it's heavier than I am!! Any solutions? Thought I had it
> > covered but I didn't..my make shift plastic shifted and
> it
> > got water logged in brevent I was doing in a torrential downpour for
four
> > hours.
> >
> > Squeezed it out, but it's still water logged.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > joe 'recumbo' keenan

You may not like this suggestion but I thought the RANS Seat was too bulky and so I bought 1/2" (or
it may have been 5/8") thick dense camping pad material and used the original RANS low density foam
as a template to cut out two pieces of camping pad material. I used them both to double up the
thickness and placed it directly on the plastic molded bottom of the RANS seat. It isn't as soft as
the RANS foam but my seatback is on an incline and so my bottom only feels about 70% of my weight.

The added benefit is that when it rains, the camping pad material does not soak up the water and
so...no drying necessary. It's ready to go the next day when the sun is out !

Not sure if you can see the way it looks but believe my photos on my website reflect the camping pad
material in place of the foam. The foam pad is in my closet in case I ever want to put it back on.
So far, I have been happy with the camping pad material and have had it that way for about 3 years.
http://olarryr.homestead.com/home.html

Larry Raphael Barcroft Dakota #02, Metallic Blue Oakton, VA

"JKeenan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I'm sure this has been posted but I couldn't find past notes.
>
> My rans foam seat got soaked and it's heavier than I am!! Any solutions? Thought I had it covered
> but I didn't..my make shift plastic shifted and it got water logged in brevent I was doing in a
> torrential downpour for four hours.
>
> Squeezed it out, but it's still water logged.
>
> Thanks
>
> joe 'recumbo' keenan

Ben, "nude", "diapers" - great suggestions! any photos?
--
~~~al.kubeluis..md.usa.earth.sun.milkyway.virgo.universe..corsa~~~

"Ben Fox" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Tom, Have you tried diapers? Ben Fox
>
> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Tom Sherman wrote:
> > > ... let the foam sit a few hours so most of the water would migrate to the bottom, then wrung
> > > it again...
> >
> > Replace "wrung" with "wring". D'oh!

I use closed cell foam under the filter foam on my lowracer seat portion and it doesn't get any
sweatier than on my Rocket with the RANS foam or on my rocket with filter foam only. The filter foam
actually compresses to almost nothing if it is only on the seat or in an upright position. When laid
back the filter foam doesn't compress so much and provides a little ventilation. Dan Kluckhuhn

"harv" <harv*no_spam*@spininternet.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Wouldn't your ass get exceptionally sweaty on a closed cell foam pad? "Dan Kluckhuhn"
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Replace the foam with either the very open filter material like used on Bacchhetta, Euro bents,
> > etc, or closed cell foam (EVA) from a foam shop.
> Use
> > as much as it takes to get comfy. Dan Kluckhuhn
> >
> > "JKeenan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > I'm sure this has been posted but I couldn't find past notes.
> > >
> > > My rans foam seat got soaked and it's heavier than I am!! Any
solutions?
> > > Thought I had it covered but I didn't..my make shift plastic shifted
and
> > it
> > > got water logged in brevent I was doing in a torrential downpour for
> four
> > > hours.
> > >
> > > Squeezed it out, but it's still water logged.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > joe 'recumbo' keenan

"JKeenan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I'm sure this has been posted but I couldn't find past notes.
>
> My rans foam seat got soaked and it's heavier than I am!! Any solutions? Thought I had it covered
> but I didn't..my make shift plastic shifted and it got water logged in brevent I was doing in a
> torrential downpour for four hours.
>
> Squeezed it out, but it's still water logged.
>
> Thanks
>
> joe 'recumbo' keenan
Hi Joe, Take the foam by a carwash where they finish washing by hand. The carwash should have a
high-speed cloth washer. Final rinse is at great gobs of rpms. It should sling the out very well and
the foam will be all but dry. Paul Milner

On my Burley which I have a RANS seat base on, I removed the cover from the seat, wrapped the foam
in a plastic bag and replaced the seat cover. This works perfectly, even in a down pour.

Derek