Wet weather clothing

Packerbacker

Jun 14, 2011
Hi all, This Sat Aug 13th Im getting ready to enter my 1st biking cherity event cant wait no times no awards just do what u can do push yourself and then pat yourself on the back for giving 110% kinda like events like this no pressure except from ones self. Anyway I just looked at the weather forcast and its poss showers mayb T storms what would you recommend for clothing ? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Happy peddling :)

I was out today. 70-75 degrees. Started raining at mile 30 - into a 54 mile ride. I took my bicycling gloves off - they never feel good when they are wet. Continued to wear my summer jersey and shorts. Used a handkerchief a couple times to wipe my face off. Rain stopped before I got to the end but not before I got a flat.

A rain jacket is nice if being wet is going to cause me to feel cold. A plastic bag to put my phone in is nice.

The problem with rain gear is it holds a lot of heat in. IMO you are better off just using your normal riding kit and hope for the best.

Well calling for 70 percent rain and T-storms im just hoping they hav a rain date Sunday afternoon would be nice calling for mid 70's and sunny no rain gear or shivers lol. I do carry a plastic bag for my cell phone. I'm also a ham radio operator and use my handy talky while riding so will rig something up for it so doesnt get wet. I'll just do a anti rain dance and hope for the best lol but thanks for the reply some gd info .

It all depends on the temp. Here in Alabama, when its over 95 degrees, I welcome a shower as long as there is no lightning. If its kind of chilly, I will have a set of Frog Toggs. Light, breathable, and waterproof.

Originally Posted by davereo .

The problem with rain gear is it holds a lot of heat in. IMO you are better off just using your normal riding kit and hope for the best.
Total agreement. It does also depend on what the ambient air temp is also. On a mild day the rain may be a good thing to help you cool down. On a hot day rain gear just holds in your body heat and it's like riding in a sauna. My suggestion, wear your normal gear, bring a compact camping towel to wipe down and be prepared to stop and seek shelter if you see lightening. I carry a XS one similar to this in my seat bag.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QWFHIQ?tag=smacamgui-20&camp=213381&creative=390973&linkCode=as4&creativeASIN=B001QWFHIQ&adid=0ST59FHV2AQBCNXAN9NG&