Wet weather gear question

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Alan Erskine, Apr 4, 2003.

  1. Alan Erskine

    Alan Erskine Guest

    Does anyone know where I can buy Goretex, or other breathable wet weather gear for bike riding? I'd
    like to ride all year, but getting drenched would just ruin the fun and I've tried Paddy Palin as
    well as Christies here in Melbourne with little success.

    While Goretex is a pricy option for me, it works and I am willing to pay for it if need by and would
    definetly prefer Goretex. Paddy Palin has Goretex pants, but they are too big (I must be a Small,
    small - ducks disease - bum's too close to the ground).

    TIA

    --
    Alan Erskine alanerskine(at)optusnet.com.au The Coalition of the Willing, against the Axis of Evil,
    In a War of the Damned

    Tags:

  2. "Alan Erskine" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Does anyone know where I can buy Goretex, or other breathable wet weather gear for bike riding?
    > I'd like to ride all year, but getting drenched
    would
    > just ruin the fun and I've tried Paddy Palin as well as Christies here in Melbourne with little
    > success.

    The Wilderness Shop in Box Hill should have the Mont Hammerhead, a cycling/XC skiing jacket for
    about $480. It is made out of a fabric called Hydranaute, similar to Goretex and in my experience as
    good at keeping you dry.

    > While Goretex is a pricy option for me, it works and I am willing to pay
    for
    > it if need by and would definetly prefer Goretex. Paddy Palin has Goretex pants,

    Most of the time I just use the jacket and accept wet legs in the rain (wear shorts if not too
    cold). In real winter conditions I use a pair of Netti Entrant overpants. While not as waterproof as
    Goretex they will keep you reasonably dry for a couple of hours of rain, and they are much less
    bulky to squeeze into the pannier. Also at around $50 - 70 IIRC, they were a much better buy than
    $200 Goretex overpants.

    Cheers Pete

  3. Ted Linnell

    Ted Linnell Guest

    "Alan Erskine" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Does anyone know where I can buy Goretex, or other breathable wet weather gear for bike riding? I'd
    >like to ride all year, but getting drenched would just ruin the fun and I've tried Paddy Palin as
    >well as Christies here in Melbourne with little success.
    >
    >While Goretex is a pricy option for me, it works and I am willing to pay for it if need by and
    >would definetly prefer Goretex. Paddy Palin has Goretex pants, but they are too big (I must be a
    >Small, small - ducks disease - bum's too close to the ground).
    >
    >TIA
    Have you tried Mountain Designs in the City, Little Burke St near Hardware Lane?

    Ted.
    | Ted Linnell <[email protected]> |
    | |
    | Nunawading, Victoria , Australia |

  4. Alan Erskine

    Alan Erskine Guest

    Thanks to both Peter and Ted for their help. I'll check out all leads and let you know. (can opener
    is still working!)

    --
    Alan Erskine alanerskine(at)optusnet.com.au The Coalition of the Willing, against the Axis of Evil,
    In a War of the Damned

  5. Keith

    Keith Guest

    "Peter Signorini" wrote ...
    > "Alan Erskine" wrote ...
    > > Does anyone know where I can buy Goretex, or other breathable wet weather gear for bike riding?
    > > I'd like to ride all year, but getting drenched would just ruin the fun

    The Macpac Cyclite is reduced from $AU 599 to $AU 399 in the Mountain Designs Easter sale. It looks
    OK and I'm trying one on here in Canberra tomorrow. See:

    http://www.mountaindesigns.com/Index.cfm?Action=Products&Subaction=productDetail&ParentCategoryID=2-
    8&CategoryID=30&ProductID=578

    I liked the slim cut, light weight, Gore-Tex XCR, reflective piping and the three back pockets (two
    mesh, one zipped and waterproof).

  6. Alan Erskine

    Alan Erskine Guest

    It's really more pants that I need. I have a Goretex jacket (Paddy Palin Vibe) and the pants are
    really important now with winter coming on.

    --

    "Keith" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Peter Signorini" wrote ...
    > > "Alan Erskine" wrote ...
    > > > Does anyone know where I can buy Goretex, or other breathable wet
    weather
    > > > gear for bike riding? I'd like to ride all year, but getting drenched would just ruin the fun
    >
    > The Macpac Cyclite is reduced from $AU 599 to $AU 399 in the Mountain Designs Easter sale. It
    > looks OK and I'm trying one on here in Canberra tomorrow. See:

    http://www.mountaindesigns.com/Index.cfm?Action=Products&Subaction=productDe
    tail&ParentCategoryID=28&CategoryID=30&ProductID=578

    > I liked the slim cut, light weight, Gore-Tex XCR, reflective piping and the three back pockets
    > (two mesh, one zipped and waterproof).

  7. Keith

    Keith Guest

    "Alan Erskine" wrote ...
    > It's really more pants that I need. I have a Goretex jacket (Paddy Palin Vibe) and the pants are
    > really important now with winter coming on.

    My adrenals started playing up last (Canberra) winter and I could no longer cycle with comfort
    through 8km of the sub-zero temperatures in shorts.

    Up till then, I'd been fine with bare legs providing the warm waterproof top was a good'un. I'm
    interested to see what I end up with this year as I'm switching to a recumbent trike shortly and
    this leaves the legs more exposed. I'll let you know how my explorations go; please keep us posted
    on your successes (and failures) as well.

    Meanwhike, try this for size:

    http://users.rcn.com/icebike/

    Keith

  8. Alan Erskine

    Alan Erskine Guest

    "Keith" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Alan Erskine" wrote ...
    > > It's really more pants that I need. I have a Goretex jacket (Paddy
    Palin
    > > Vibe) and the pants are really important now with winter coming on.
    > >
    > My adrenals started playing up last (Canberra) winter and I could no longer cycle with comfort
    > through 8km of the sub-zero temperatures in shorts.
    >
    > Up till then, I'd been fine with bare legs providing the warm waterproof top was a good'un. I'm
    > interested to see what I end up with this year as I'm switching to a recumbent trike shortly and
    > this leaves the legs more exposed. I'll let you know how my explorations go; please keep us posted
    > on your successes (and failures) as well.
    >
    > Meanwhike, try this for size:
    >
    > http://users.rcn.com/icebike/
    >
    > Keith

    To use an American saying:

    WHOA!!!!

    Me, I hate the cold. I tell people I must have been born in Queensland and kidnapped by Gypsies.
    --
    Alan Erskine alanerskine(at)optusnet.com.au The Coalition of the Willing, against the Axis of Evil,
    In a War of the Damned

  9. Keith

    Keith Guest

    [email protected] (Keith) wrote
    > "Peter Signorini" wrote ...
    > > "Alan Erskine" wrote ...
    > > > Does anyone know where I can buy Goretex, or other breathable wet weather gear for bike
    > > > riding? I'd like to ride all year, but getting drenched would just ruin the fun
    >
    > The Macpac Cyclite is reduced from $AU 599 to $AU 399 in the Mountain Designs Easter sale. It
    > looks OK and I'm trying one on here in Canberra tomorrow.
    snip
    > I liked the slim cut, light weight, Gore-Tex XCR, reflective piping and the three back pockets
    > (two mesh, one zipped and waterproof).

    I tried it on and was impressed. I bought it at the sale price. Additional PROs: the elastic cords
    around the waist and around the tail, so the low-cut back does not flap; it is very snug so the
    insulating layer of air inside the shell will not blow away. Cuffs are also snug. The hood zips off.
    Sizing suited me perfectly.

    CONs: The waterproof central pocket is smaller than it needs to be. The zip is a bit fiddly when
    you're putting the jacket on.

    Keith

  10. Michael Day

    Michael Day Guest

    I just bought a sensational jacket from Fitzroy Bicycles: Castelli Pendragon. Great jacket!

    "Alan Erskine" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Thanks to both Peter and Ted for their help. I'll check out all leads and let you know. (can
    > opener is still working!)
    >
    > --
    > Alan Erskine alanerskine(at)optusnet.com.au The Coalition of the Willing, against the Axis of
    > Evil, In a War of the Damned

  11. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Alan Erskine wrote:

    >>The Macpac Cyclite is reduced from $AU 599 to $AU 399 in the Mountain Designs Easter sale.

    Blimey! We are talking about raincoats, right? Mainpeak sold me a breathable, 100% waterproof,
    lightweight, visible (floro & reflective trim), seam-sealed, yada yada for less than $100.

    With the Virginblue sale on, you could spend the difference on a holiday somewhere much sunnier!

    --
    make nospam into oz to reply.

  12. "Alan Erskine" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > While Goretex is a pricy option for me, it works and I am willing to pay
    for
    > it if need by and would definetly prefer Goretex. Paddy Palin has Goretex pants, but they are too
    > big (I must be a Small, small - ducks disease - bum's too close to the ground).

    Mr Gore would be touched by your faith in his product, but count me among the faithless. The stuff
    does breathe to an extent but no, or little, more than much lighter and less bulky fabrics costing
    much less. I have found that Entrant fabric does a pretty good job. The rate of water production by
    a vigorous rider defeats all the breathable fabrics I have heard of or tried. If you can't keep
    fully dry, at least you can keep warm and comfortable. A wind and waterproof jacket (and trousers in
    extreme conditions) over appropriate layers of modern synthetic clothing keeps you warm and
    comfortable, albeit pretty damp from your own water.

    After you stop, and stop producing water, breathable fabrics allow your clothing to dry faster, but
    not nearly as fast as if you took the wind clothing off. I have always been delighted at how fast
    good cycling clothing dries from the heat of the body.

    John Retchford

  13. Alan Erskine

    Alan Erskine Guest

    "John Retchford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Alan Erskine" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > While Goretex is a pricy option for me, it works and I am willing to pay
    > for
    > > it if need by and would definetly prefer Goretex. Paddy Palin has
    Goretex
    > > pants, but they are too big (I must be a Small, small - ducks disease - bum's too close to the
    > > ground).
    > >
    > Mr Gore would be touched by your faith in his product, but count me among the faithless. The stuff
    > does breathe to an extent but no, or little,
    more
    > than much lighter and less bulky fabrics costing much less. I have found that Entrant fabric does
    > a pretty good job. The rate of water production
    by
    > a vigorous rider defeats all the breathable fabrics I have heard of or tried. If you can't keep
    > fully dry, at least you can keep warm and comfortable. A wind and waterproof jacket (and trousers
    > in extreme conditions) over appropriate layers of modern synthetic clothing keeps you warm and
    > comfortable, albeit pretty damp from your own water.
    >
    > After you stop, and stop producing water, breathable fabrics allow your clothing to dry faster,
    > but not nearly as fast as if you took the wind clothing off. I have always been delighted at how
    > fast good cycling clothing dries from the heat of the body.
    >
    > John Retchford

    Thanks for the info, John. I'm a whimp - anything below 15C is extreme conditions for me ;-)

    Where can I check out Entrant?

    --
    Alan Erskine alanerskine(at)optusnet.com.au The Coalition of the Willing, against the Axis of Evil,
    In a War of the Damned

  14. Rman

    Rman Guest

    "Alan Erskine" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]... [snip]

    > Where can I check out Entrant?

    try www.netti.com.au

    the online price at 169.95 is pretty good value.

    I bought mine for 180.

  15. "Alan Erskine" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Thanks for the info, John. I'm a whimp - anything below 15C is extreme conditions for me ;-)
    >
    > Where can I check out Entrant?

    Netti use it as do others. Talk again to Ian Christie or to Max at Le Knicks in Beach Rd Black Rock.

    John Retchford

  16. Alan Erskine

    Alan Erskine Guest

    "John Retchford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Alan Erskine" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > Thanks for the info, John. I'm a whimp - anything below 15C is extreme conditions for me ;-)
    > >
    > > Where can I check out Entrant?
    > >
    > Netti use it as do others. Talk again to Ian Christie or to Max at Le Knicks in Beach Rd
    > Black Rock.
    >
    > John Retchford

    Thanks John. I'll check Le Knicks - Black Rock's just a short ride away from where I live.