Wet Wipes .......

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by TomCAt, Aug 11, 2005.

  1. TomCAt

    TomCAt Guest

    >I got to thinking .... (?????) After being attacked by a couple of
    > wankers; Chuck Anderson and Mike Kruger.
    >
    > If I remember it right, this fancy ass cyclist is out on the Minuteman
    > Trail
    > near Boston. He comes along a lady who is in some form of distress. Her
    > chain has fallen off, or jammed or something. She asks for help, and as
    > Mr
    > Fancy is fixing her bicycle she gets on her telly and calls people to tell
    > of her misfortune. Mr Fancy is all upset. He had to stop. She isn't
    > helpfull with fixing her bicycle, he fixed it and then she doesn't thank
    > him.
    >
    > A quote from Mr Fancy;
    > "Now, I do not like getting bike chain grease on my hands. It is filthy.
    > It is vile. It sticks to things. I *especially* do not like getting
    > it on my hands on behalf of a grown adult whom I don't know, and who
    > should be able to do it for herself. And whom I already didn't much
    > care for".
    >
    > As you can see, Mr Fancy is a "clean" cyclist.
    >
    > If he was tooling through the woods all covered in dirt, sweat, mud, on a
    > ten year old mtn bike ........ well, this is for another day.
    >
    > Anyway, Mr Fancy ( aka -- Mr Clean ) is upset. He fixes the bicycle, gets
    > grease on his delicate hands. Miss Bicycle Ditch With A Telly is off, Mr
    > Fancy is upset.
    >
    > This has happened to me many times. I have changed flats, fixed chains,
    > adjusted seats, .. once I helped a lady at an airport put her bicycle
    > together so she could start a tour. We toured together for a couple of
    > days. Fast friends to this day.
    >
    > The answer; The solution. Or, ...... why didn't I think of this earlier.
    >
    > Yesterday I am in an auto repair place picking up some oil for my 10 year
    > old truck. There it is, a display. The cleaning supplies area.
    >
    > Wet Wipes! They come in different sizes, are individually packaged.
    > Throw
    > a few in the bicycle bag. It doesn't take up any room at all. These
    > things
    > cut the grease, clean the hands, and you can even clean your bicycle with
    > them. Be sure to rinse.
    >
    > Some are real big. Like a towel.
    >
    > If Mr Fancy had been carrying Wet Wipes, as I will for now on, he would
    > not
    > be complaining quite so much.
    >
    > When you do a good deed, even if the recipient is a telly talking Ditch
    > Crashing Yuppy, you should not be looking for thanks, you should thank
    > yourself that you have the upbringing an intelligence to fix a bicycle,
    > and
    > then ride on.
    >
    > Wet Wipes.
    >
    > Get em before the rush.
    >
    > TomCAt ................. a fellow cyclist.

    Tags:

  2. Fritz M

    Fritz M Guest

    TomCAt wrote:

    > If Mr Fancy had been carrying Wet Wipes, as I will for now on, he would
    > not be complaining quite so much.

    Most cyclists who want to keep their hands clean use disposable vinyl
    or latex gloves like those used at hospitals or in food service.

    > When you do a good deed, even if the recipient is a telly talking Ditch
    > Crashing Yuppy, you should not be looking for thanks, you should thank
    > yourself that you have the upbringing an intelligence to fix a bicycle,
    > and
    > then ride on.

    I agree, the good deed is its own reward.

    RFM

  3. The Wogster

    The Wogster Guest

    Fritz M wrote:
    > TomCAt wrote:
    >

    >>If Mr Fancy had been carrying Wet Wipes, as I will for now on, he would
    >>not be complaining quite so much.

    > Most cyclists who want to keep their hands clean use disposable vinyl
    > or latex gloves like those used at hospitals or in food service.

    Some auto mechanics use the disposable gloves as well, at $10 for a box
    of 100, you can do a lot of repairs, for a reasonable cost. I saw a guy
    at a bike shop wearing a pair as well, so wrenches aren't immune. Latex
    are better for delicate work, but some people are contact allergic to
    it, so the vinyl ones can work better for them, just make sure you buy
    the right size. Another good thing to carry, is a plastic garbage bag,
    only thing worse then an abandonned bike tube on the corner, is a pair
    of greasy gloves used to change it. Plastic garbage bag can also make a
    good emergency rain coat, in a pinch.