Wetsuit Question

I am I

Guest
Hi all,

I have a quick question about wetsuits. I have my first Olympic
Triathlon in two weeks. I just bought a Gotcha Wetsuit at Costcos for
$30 bucks. I was wondering if I should return it because I just looked
online and saw that it is advertised as a wetsuit for surfing, kayaking,
etc. but I see no mention for swimming long lengths. I am totally new to
the open water swim world. It is made of 80% neoprene, 20% nylon. I
guess I am worried that it might absorb too much water and get too heavy.
I can't really try it out in the lake because I won't be able to return
it.

I could always just rent a good one for about $8.00 but thought it would
be nice to have a swim suit that I could use periodically between now and
then. Thank you all for your time and any help and suggestions will be
much appreciated!

Actually, one other question. I heard that chaffing is very likely to
occur with wetsuit use. What should be done about it?

Miguel
Newbie

I think that's the wrong type for swimming, some other's here will know more
about the composition stuff. If money's a problem you can probably find a
good used one here or E-Bay.
I've had three different suits and never had trouble with chaffing... but I
always use body Glide or Runner's Lube.
"I am I" <[email protected]/> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> I have a quick question about wetsuits. I have my first Olympic
> Triathlon in two weeks. I just bought a Gotcha Wetsuit at Costcos for
> $30 bucks. I was wondering if I should return it because I just looked
> online and saw that it is advertised as a wetsuit for surfing, kayaking,
> etc. but I see no mention for swimming long lengths. I am totally new to
> the open water swim world. It is made of 80% neoprene, 20% nylon. I
> guess I am worried that it might absorb too much water and get too heavy.
> I can't really try it out in the lake because I won't be able to return
> it.
>
> I could always just rent a good one for about $8.00 but thought it would
> be nice to have a swim suit that I could use periodically between now and
> then. Thank you all for your time and any help and suggestions will be
> much appreciated!
>
> Actually, one other question. I heard that chaffing is very likely to
> occur with wetsuit use. What should be done about it?
>
> Miguel
> Newbie

It might sound like a Cliche, but you get what you pay for. That $30.00 suit
will do the job in getting you across a cold water pond a lot warmer than
without a wetsuit, but it will not help in how fast you do it.

Also, please tell me where you go to rent a "good" wetsuit for only $8.00?

You being pretty to to the sport, I would like to say a few things:

1. Welcome to a great sport and a great lifestyle.

2. If you have wetsuit questions in particular I am happy to talk to you by
phone. Call me at 858 453 6672. I will not try to sell you one of mine, I
will simply tell you the good and bad about all wetsuits, including mine.

3. Go swim in that $30.00 wetsuit. If it does not work for you, I will give
you $30.00 for it if you buy a T1 Wetsuit.

Emilio De Soto II
858 453 6672
www.desotosport.com "Quality Triathlon Gear Since 1990"
www.t1wetsuits.com "Triathlon's most innovative wetsuit"
Email me for a free catalog

"I am I" <[email protected]/> wrote

[edited]
> I just bought a Gotcha Wetsuit at Costcos for $30 bucks. I was wondering

if I should return it...<

I'd return it.

>I could always just rent a good one for about $8.00...<

Rentals are an option but I don't know where you can get a decent tri-suit
fro $8.

>...but thought it would be nice to have a swim suit that I could use

periodically between now and then...<

If you decide to buy one, take Emilo up on his offer. T1's are the fastest,
most comfortable, and durable suits available. I'm a high 40 / low 50
minute iron swimmer, and I wouldn't swim in anything else.

>I heard that chaffing is very likely to occur with wetsuit use. What

should be done about it?<

Use lots of Body Glide. It comes in a stick. You can get it a most online
triathlon or running stores.

Good luck.