Wetsuit question...

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Christ, May 30, 2003.

  1. Christ

    Christ Guest

    Hi,

    Are windsurf and diving wetsuits suitable for swimming in open water or does one abolutely need a
    triathlon specific wetsuit ? Il will participate in a triathlon for the first time in two weeks and
    I do not have money to invest in a tri-wetsuit...

    Thanks a lot,

    Christian St-Pierre.

    Tags:

  2. Freds4

    Freds4 Guest

    >Are windsurf and diving wetsuits suitable for swimming in open water or does one abolutely need a
    >triathlon specific wetsuit ?

    Christian, these types of suits are NOT suitable for swimming. If the water temp allows it, you
    would be better off without a wetsuit. If not, then try to borrow one for the race.

  3. Mike

    Mike Guest

    [email protected] (Christ) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Are windsurf and diving wetsuits suitable for swimming in open water or does one abolutely need a
    > triathlon specific wetsuit ? Il will participate in a triathlon for the first time in two weeks
    > and I do not have money to invest in a tri-wetsuit...
    >
    > Thanks a lot,
    >
    > Christian St-Pierre.

    It's your first triathlon so I assume you are not going to win but to finish and have fun. Windsurf
    suits such as Body Glove etc. will serve you. They will not have the comfort nor speed of a suit
    designed for triathlon swimming but will keep you warm and provide the floatation for an open water
    swim. If you decide that triathlon is your thing and you progress then go get a real suit.

    Ken @ kauai

  4. Teslar

    Teslar Guest

    You will find a normal wet suit to restrictive for swimming, this will tire you quickly and affect
    your overall performance. Also dependant on buoyancy it may prevent a decent leg kick.

    ironman do a hybrid suit that can be used for watersport and triathlon swimming.

    news:[email protected]...

  5. Christ wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Are windsurf and diving wetsuits suitable for swimming in open water or does one abolutely need a
    > triathlon specific wetsuit ? Il will participate in a triathlon for the first time in two weeks
    > and I do not have money to invest in a tri-wetsuit...

    You might want to look into one of these:

    http://www.chillcheater.co.uk/catalogue.htm

    I got their t-shirt, which cost me about $60, and you might find just that sufficient if the water's
    not too cold. They sell all manner of short- and long-sleeved shirts, pants, and full wet suits and
    the prices are quite reasonable, I think.

    -S-