Wetsuits Information

Lapswimr

Guest
I am thinking about a wet suit to swim in the ocean this winter.Probably 50 degrees water temp to
maybe low 40's. It appears that there are many types of wet suits..1.for divers 2. for surfers or
borders with knee pads to keep them from wearing thru on the beach 3. for swimmers.4 for waterski or
jetski. I know that there are several lenghts also..like farmer john (looks like overalls) Shorty
(just the main body arms and legs exposed. Full covers all the arms and legs and body except the
head. What wetsuits are the best for swimming and any explainations about wetsuits for swimmers and
tips would be helpfull.

On 13 Nov 2003 17:14:11 -0800, [email protected] (Lapswimr) wrote:

>I am thinking about a wet suit to swim in the ocean this winter.Probably 50 degrees water temp to
>maybe low 40's. It appears that there are many types of wet suits..1.for divers 2. for surfers or
>borders with knee pads to keep them from wearing thru on the beach 3. for swimmers.4 for waterski
>or jetski. I know that there are several lenghts also..like farmer john (looks like overalls)
>Shorty (just the main body arms and legs exposed. Full covers all the arms and legs and body except
>the head. What wetsuits are the best for swimming and any explainations about wetsuits for swimmers
>and tips would be helpfull.

You'll definately want to stay with a suit made especially for swimming. The others do not
offer the flexibilty, particularly in the arms that non swimming specific suits do. Most of
the suits I see for swimming don't go quite as low as you're looking for. However I've seen
"neoprene" shirts you can wear under the suits that allow you to swim at lower temps. At the
temps you're talking about I would reccommend a full suit definately. Probably a neoprene
shirt and cap. I've used AquaMan Pulsar and Quintana Roo Ultra. The Pulsar was a much nicer
suit but also much more expensive. I bought the QR as I only use it for races 3-4 times a
year not regular swimming. I'd check out suits from Aquaman, QR, IronMan and Orca. These
pretty much cover the gammet. Promotion is another option although not as well know they do
have alot of info on there sight adn comparisons of differnet styles I.E. Swimming/tri
versus Skiing. Desoto also has a couple of versions, but is much more bent towards
triathlons than just swimming as well as Piel.

~Matt

I swim, surf and do other aquatic activities. I found the best wetsuit for multi activity cold water
use is the Ironman hybrid.

http://www.ironmanwetsuits.com/hybridwetsuits/.

It's just to bad the ironman name (true swimmers joke) is attached to it. I seem to get some water
in the sleeves and the weight effects my stroke slightly but after all it is a "wetsuit".

As a lover of open water swimming and a FINA Masters world record holder I endorse this product.

Jim Wright

news:[email protected]...

MJuric wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On 13 Nov 2003 17:14:11 -0800, [email protected] (Lapswimr) wrote:
>
> >I am thinking about a wet suit to swim in the ocean this winter.Probably 50 degrees water temp to
> >maybe low 40's. It appears that there are many types of wet suits..1.for divers 2. for surfers or
> >borders with knee pads to keep them from wearing thru on the beach 3. for swimmers.4 for waterski
> >or jetski. I know that there are several lenghts also..like farmer john (looks like overalls)
> >Shorty (just the main body arms and legs exposed. Full covers all the arms and legs and body
> >except the head. What wetsuits are the best for swimming and any explainations about wetsuits for
> >swimmers and tips would be helpfull.
>
> You'll definately want to stay with a suit made especially for swimming. The others do not
> offer the flexibilty, particularly in the arms that non swimming specific suits do. Most of
> the suits I see for swimming don't go quite as low as you're looking for. However I've seen
> "neoprene" shirts you can wear under the suits that allow you to swim at lower temps. At the
> temps you're talking about I would reccommend a full suit definately. Probably a neoprene
> shirt and cap. I've used AquaMan Pulsar and Quintana Roo Ultra. The Pulsar was a much nicer
> suit but also much more expensive. I bought the QR as I only use it for races 3-4 times a
> year not regular swimming. I'd check out suits from Aquaman, QR, IronMan and Orca. These
> pretty much cover the gammet. Promotion is another option although not as well know they do
> have alot of info on there sight adn comparisons of differnet styles I.E. Swimming/tri
> versus Skiing. Desoto also has a couple of versions, but is much more bent towards
> triathlons than just swimming as well as Piel.
>
> ~Matt

Thats what I thought that some are really "swimmers suits" specialized for that. I have seen some
swim races and have seen the Orca and QR names and have noticed t5hat those suits were not like the
ones I saw at the sporting goods store for $100! I also remember it mentioned that the suits were
rented and I wondered why. I know now because they are several hundred dollars. As I say, I have
seen some suits in a sporting goods store that were about 100 dollars and less. I did not ask the
clerks because I figured if I asked if they were good for swimming they would say "sure". I think
those suits are for water ski or jet ski riders. Actually the water temps will probably be more like
50 to 60 not low 40's.I thought the water was colder then it really is (East Coast) I wonder how
durable these QR and other "swimming" suits are. Such as wearing them at the ocean for
swimming..coming in I will probably be tossed a time or two if the surfs rough. I can understand the
knee pads for the surfers/boarders suits for that so they will not wear through coming in on a
board. Most swimmers I have seen are able to walk in and out and are not dragging the suit rolling
around in surf. I also surmise that the true swimmers suits may be less chafing then the others? It
seems that a good swimmers wetsuit then will be about $400 .

On 14 Nov 2003 17:54:41 -0800, [email protected] (Lapswimr) wrote:

>MJuric wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>> On 13 Nov 2003 17:14:11 -0800, [email protected] (Lapswimr) wrote:
>>
>> >I am thinking about a wet suit to swim in the ocean this winter.Probably 50 degrees water temp
>> >to maybe low 40's. It appears that there are many types of wet suits..1.for divers 2. for
>> >surfers or borders with knee pads to keep them from wearing thru on the beach 3. for swimmers.4
>> >for waterski or jetski. I know that there are several lenghts also..like farmer john (looks like
>> >overalls) Shorty (just the main body arms and legs exposed. Full covers all the arms and legs
>> >and body except the head. What wetsuits are the best for swimming and any explainations about
>> >wetsuits for swimmers and tips would be helpfull.
>>
>> You'll definately want to stay with a suit made especially for swimming. The others do not
>> offer the flexibilty, particularly in the arms that non swimming specific suits do. Most of
>> the suits I see for swimming don't go quite as low as you're looking for. However I've seen
>> "neoprene" shirts you can wear under the suits that allow you to swim at lower temps. At the
>> temps you're talking about I would reccommend a full suit definately. Probably a neoprene
>> shirt and cap. I've used AquaMan Pulsar and Quintana Roo Ultra. The Pulsar was a much nicer
>> suit but also much more expensive. I bought the QR as I only use it for races 3-4 times a
>> year not regular swimming. I'd check out suits from Aquaman, QR, IronMan and Orca. These
>> pretty much cover the gammet. Promotion is another option although not as well know they do
>> have alot of info on there sight adn comparisons of differnet styles I.E. Swimming/tri
>> versus Skiing. Desoto also has a couple of versions, but is much more bent towards
>> triathlons than just swimming as well as Piel.
>>
>> ~Matt
>
>Thats what I thought that some are really "swimmers suits" specialized for that. I have seen some
>swim races and have seen the Orca and QR names and have noticed t5hat those suits were not like the
>ones I saw at the sporting goods store for $100!

Yes at a sporting good store probably a ski suit. I believe although don't know, generally
cheaper due to larger amount sold and cheaper material.

> I also remember it mentioned that the suits were rented and I wondered why. I know now because
> they are several hundred dollars. As I say, I have seen some suits in a sporting goods store that
> were about 100 dollars and less. I did not ask the clerks because I figured if I asked if they
> were good for swimming they would say "sure". I think those suits are for water ski or jet ski
> riders. Actually the water temps will probably be more like 50 to 60 not low 40's.

Again take a look at some of the sites, they normally have good info.

http://www.wetsuit.com/ This is promotions site. They are teh only manufacturer I've seen that
specifically advertises for different suits, Swimming/triathlon surfing, skiining. I'm sure diving
is differnet yet.

>I thought the water was colder then it really is (East Coast) I wonder how durable these QR and
>other "swimming" suits are. Such as wearing them at the ocean for swimming..coming in I will
>probably be tossed a time or two if the surfs rough.

Depending on what you get "tossed" onto, yes they will tear. however most cant be patched, either by
you or sent back to the factory for repair.

> I can understand the knee pads for the surfers/boarders suits for that so they will not wear
> through coming in on a board. Most swimmers I have seen are able to walk in and out and are not
> dragging the suit rolling around in surf. I also surmise that the true swimmers suits may be less
> chafing then the others? It seems that a good swimmers wetsuit then will be about $400 .

The ultimate goal of a swimming/tri suit is to cause no chafing, allow the swimmer to move
freely, as if he/she isn't wearing a suit, and keep you warm. Some may also argue that it's
to make bad swimmers better swimmers. As far as price goes I payed 179$ for my QR it's full
legs no sleeves. The sleeved version is 20-30 bucks more. Mine is about as cheap as you can
get a decent new suit for. I've seen some cheaper but can't vouch for the quality. Most of
the entry level suits are priced about the same. However they do go up from there.

http://www.triathletemag.com/story.cfm?departmentID=67&story_id=1936&pageID=1705&publicationID=92

Here's a link to a wetsuit review in Triathlete Magazine. These are all "swimming" suits.

Also don't get caught up in all of the "hype" around our material is better faster etc. All of the
material that is used in triathlon wetsuits comes from two manufactures. These mfg's until recently
had only two materials. One was used in teh cheaper suits the other in the more expensive suits.
Many suit makes are now mixing and matching the material in the same suit now makeing "Midrange"
suits. The big thing is going to be fit, you'll probbaly want to find a tri shop(s) around you that
sell the suits you are interested in and try them on. QR recommended I buy a Male Small according to
my weight and height etc. I ended up getting a Male large.

~Matt

[email protected] (Lapswimr) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Thats what I thought that some are really "swimmers suits" specialized for that. I have seen some
> swim races and have seen the Orca and QR names and have noticed t5hat those suits were not like
> the ones I saw at the sporting goods store for $100! I also remember it mentioned that the suits
> were rented and I wondered why. I know now because they are several hundred dollars. As I say, I
> have seen some suits in a sporting goods store that were about 100 dollars and less. I did not ask
> the clerks because I figured if I asked if they were good for swimming they would say "sure". I
> think those suits are for water ski or jet ski riders. Actually the water temps will probably be
> more like 50 to 60 not low 40's.I thought the water was colder then it really is (East Coast) I
> wonder how durable these QR and other "swimming" suits are. Such as wearing them at the ocean for
> swimming..coming in I will probably be tossed a time or two if the surfs rough. I can understand
> the knee pads for the surfers/boarders suits for that so they will not wear through coming in on a
> board. Most swimmers I have seen are able to walk in and out and are not dragging the suit rolling
> around in surf. I also surmise that the true swimmers suits may be less chafing then the others?
> It seems that a good swimmers wetsuit then will be about $400 .

The other key feature of "swimming" wetsuits is that they have a smooth skin to reduce drag. This
makes them much less durable than those with a knit-type surface, as they can very easily get
snagged. I have a long-john style suit which I wear for swimming ONLY, I don't wear it just for
mucking around in the sea with my kids, boogie boarding, snorkelling, etc.

I have now acquired a combination of wetsuit products which give me a lot of flexibility.
1) Swimming long john - mine is an Ironman brand and was bought as a second from a factory outlet.
Cost was NZ$150 or around US$90 on current exchange rate. It was a lot cheaper than a full
swimming wetsuit, plus I don't like really tight things around my arms.
2) "Hot Top" which is like a long-sleeved rash top but made of very thin neoprene coated on the
inside with titanium, with a nylon/lycra collar & cuffs. I wear this under the long john when the
water is still cold in spring & early summer, or on its own for general use for extra warmth &
sun protection for boogie boarding, etc. Cost was NZ$130/US$78.
3) Neoprene shorts to wear with the "Hot Top" to make a complete suit for snorkelling or if I need
extra warmth. Purchased from a cheap department store for NZ$50/US$30.

Liz D

Lapswimr <[email protected]> wrote:
>for swimmers.4 for waterski or jetski. I know that there are several lenghts also..like farmer john
>(looks like overalls) Shorty (just the main body arms and legs exposed. Full covers all the arms
>and legs and body except the head. What wetsuits are the best for swimming and any explainations
>about wetsuits for swimmers and tips would be helpfull.

A key failing of the cheaper non swimmer suits, esp the farmer johns, is that they have a huge
opening at the neck line. As you swim, you effective have this large open funnel for water to
flow into - it's cold and it's high drag. The swimmer suits have a very tight neck to minimize
this concern. Some diver suits also have this, but they are either too thin, or too inflexible
for your needs.

The cheaper version for most trisuit brands tend to run about $240, but in the offseason you often
see good closeout prices. Just be sure you try them on - a great deal off the web is a crapshoot due
to the vastly different sizing models by the various makes.
--
Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com