Wetsuits

KV

Guest
I'm a surfer who has started doing tris; last year I did not use a wetsuit,
but am planning some earlier races this year where I'll want a wetsuit. I
have various suits for surfing: 3/2, 4/3, and heavier. Is there any design
difference between say, a Ripcurl 3/2 for surfing and something made by QR
or Zoot? I would think that since my present suits are designed to allow
paddling, they should work-although I haven't actually swum distance in
them. Any thoughts/experience?

KV wrote:
> I'm a surfer who has started doing tris; last year I did not use a wetsuit,
> but am planning some earlier races this year where I'll want a wetsuit. I
> have various suits for surfing: 3/2, 4/3, and heavier. Is there any design
> difference between say, a Ripcurl 3/2 for surfing and something made by QR
> or Zoot? I would think that since my present suits are designed to allow
> paddling, they should work-although I haven't actually swum distance in
> them. Any thoughts/experience?

My first wetsuit for Triathlon was an "active" wetsuit, meant for
windsurfing, paddling, in colder temperatures.

I was told it would work great. It cost the same (I found out later).

It sucked.

Get a real triathlon wetsuit.

I have the Ironman version. I liked it. The throat has a lower scoop to
it (lets you breathe when you are swimming). The shoulders are placed in
a different spot so that you can swim (compared to standing or paddling).

tri suits are thinner than surfing wetties. They also allow your arms
to move
I have tried both, there is a reason they are $500 more than a
Quicksilver wettie.
Surfing wetties, really you dont spend much time paddiling, swimming,
you dont stop moveing, huge difference.