We've had about 9 inches of snow.....

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by 64Paramount, Dec 9, 2009.

1. 64Paramount

64Paramount Active Member

....fall in the last 24 hours in southeast Minnesota. Current temp is 9 degrees with the wind chill at -15.

Brrrrrrr!

How's the big storm affecting the rest of you North American folks?

Tags:

2. frenchyge

frenchyge New Member

We're getting the cold, but not a lot of snow. The trainer tire is fitted and ready to go for a while.

3. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

Heavy rain and 54 degrees yesterday, wind with gusts up to 70 mph and temps falling into the teens today. Forecast says sunny and 25 degrees tomorrow.

4. bianchi10

bianchi10 New Member

Here in Portland Oregon....9 degrees, but it's clear as day outside. you would think it was a 90 degree day sitting in the warmth of your car or house! :mad: if it's gonna be this cold, it would be nice if it would at least involve some kind of precipitation that would turn to snow and ice making it impossible to work, which would then mean i got to sleep in!

5. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

We got a bit of rain here over two days, and the high temps dipped into the mid to low 50's. That's about it.

It were a different story up north, though, where in some places, like the Mogollon Rim, a foot o' snow or more was expected/had. Blizzard warnings were about up there.

6. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

No natural snow atm but our snow guns are on and the extended forecast looks cold. Ski slopes open by Saturday.

7. Evilbofh

Evilbofh New Member

Stockholm sweden, no snow yet
    Still above freezing (maybe the green house effect isn't that bad..) but then again summer was like this as well this year.... :confused:

But maybe next week I mount my wheels with my Hakkapeliittas. The weather guy says winter might make a guest appearance then with snow and temperatures below freezing, but then again he had failed as a politician and became a weather man, that was the only way he could talk on TV, lie and have most people believe you... :D

/E

8. 64Paramount

64Paramount Active Member

We didn't get anymore snow today, but the high temp was 0 degrees.

I don't mind the snow too much, I actually like it December through February.

But I don't like the extreme cold temps. It costs too much to heat the house and is very hard on people who have work outside. So I'm hoping we have a warm winter (relatively speaking) in general.

9. alienator

Well, we've got El Nino this year, and this El Nino increased in temp much faster than anyone had predicted. I don't know what that does for your end of the United States of Lobbyists, but here that means that our winter is supposed to be a lot wetter than normal. So we'll see more rain and maybe even snow at our elevation. For the mountains, that means snow and also means that it's likely that Mt. Lemmon Ski Valley should be open a lot longer (Yes, there's a ski resort just 27 miles outside of Tucson, and it's not unusual for them to be open for a couple of months....maybe more...each year.).

10. dbackmtg

dbackmtg New Member

I'm hoping to make it out there this spring and bike to Mt. Lemon. We drove up last spring.

11. alienator

Ah, very cool. A certain Pro Tour team, the other day, spent time on that very climb. The drive up is beautiful, yes, but the ride is sublime, especially with the changing alpine zones as you climb. Of course, a 25 mile descent is never a bad thing, either.

Also keep in mind a climb that a lot of folks outside of Tucson don't know of: Kitt Peak. Kitt Peak is known for it's observatories: there are 19 telescopes on top. The fun part though is that Kitt Peak is a nice 12 mile climb at about a dead constant 7%. While it's shorter than Mt. Lemmon's climb, it is steeper, and best of all, it's a bit more remote. On a Kitt Peak climb, you might see 2 cars during your ride. All that you hear on the climb are the sounds of the desert. It's 60 miles outside of Tucson, but it's an easy drive and well worth the effort.

12. dbackmtg

dbackmtg New Member

There were alot of vehicles on the ride up. I've heard of Kitt's peak. My Dad got me a book on road rides around the Tucson area. I'll have to see if Kitt peak is in it. Thanks.