WH-R540 SHIMANO WHEELS

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by TP, Sep 29, 2004.

  1. TP

    TP Guest

    Thinking of buying wheels from friend who complains of breaking
    spokes.....weights 90-100kg......for $50 for both
    1year old
    use for me 80kgs of give to son 40kgs......
    r these going to give me trouble or are spokes to tight???

    bb

    Tags:

  2. ritcho

    ritcho New Member

    Joined:
    May 24, 2004
    You have picked up a huge bargain. The spokes are not too tight, they probably require stress relieving (viz. grab a pair of spokes with gloved hands and squeeze as hard as you can). This improves the likelihood that the spokes will last longer. I have a pair of 535s (the previous model) and broke one spoke in 8000km. I replaced and stress relieved all of the spokes and no trouble since. OK, so I'm 75kg and not 90-100 anymore, but I'm convinced you'll be ok.

    Ritch

  3. rayner

    rayner New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2003
    For that price you can't go wrong. If your son races he won't be able to use them due to spoke count restrictions, just something to think about.

  4. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "rayner" <[email protected]

    > TP Wrote:
    > > Thinking of buying wheels from friend who complains of breaking
    > > spokes.....weights 90-100kg......for $50 for both
    > > 1year old
    > > use for me 80kgs of give to son 40kgs......
    > > r these going to give me trouble or are spokes to tight???
    > >

    > > bb

    > For that price you can't go wrong. If your son races he won't be able
    > to use them due to spoke count restrictions, just something to think
    > about.

    The limit is 12 spokes. These have 16 I think.
    Why wouldn't he be able to use them?

    Also, in club level racing, no one checks that stuff..

    hippy

  5. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "hippy" <[email protected]> wrote
    > "rayner" <[email protected]
    > >
    > > TP Wrote:
    > > > Thinking of buying wheels from friend who complains of breaking
    > > > spokes.....weights 90-100kg......for $50 for both
    > > > 1year old
    > > > use for me 80kgs of give to son 40kgs......
    > > > r these going to give me trouble or are spokes to tight???
    > > >

    > > > bb

    > > For that price you can't go wrong. If your son races he won't be able
    > > to use them due to spoke count restrictions, just something to think
    > > about.

    > The limit is 12 spokes. These have 16 I think.
    > Why wouldn't he be able to use them?

    Actually, traditional wheels with 16 metal spokes
    and above do not need to have been tested by
    the UCI. Wheels can have less than 16 spokes,
    i.e. the 12 spoke limit, but may need to be approved
    by the UCI prior to use in a mass start race...
    http://www.uci.ch/english/about/wheels.htm

    hippy

  6. TP

    TP Guest

    Im sold.......

    bb
    "ritcho" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > TP Wrote:
    > > Thinking of buying wheels from friend who complains of breaking
    > > spokes.....weights 90-100kg......for $50 for both
    > > 1year old
    > > use for me 80kgs of give to son 40kgs......
    > > r these going to give me trouble or are spokes to tight???
    > >

    > > bb

    > You have picked up a huge bargain. The spokes are not too tight, they
    > probably require stress relieving (viz. grab a pair of spokes with
    > gloved hands and squeeze as hard as you can). This improves the
    > likelihood that the spokes will last longer. I have a pair of 535s (the
    > previous model) and broke one spoke in 8000km. I replaced and stress
    > relieved all of the spokes and no trouble since. OK, so I'm 75kg and
    > not 90-100 anymore, but I'm convinced you'll be ok.
    >
    > Ritch
    >

    > --
    > ritcho

  7. TP

    TP Guest

    got one son U15 the other U13 soon to go up U17, U15
    there are restrictions but at club level not to much of a drama....Im the
    secretary anyway...i say its ok....
    At states its an issue but am happy to change wheels over for such
    ocassions........
    To the young blokes looks are every thing.....

    bb

  8. "hippy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "hippy" <[email protected]> wrote

    > > > For that price you can't go wrong. If your son races he won't be able
    > > > to use them due to spoke count restrictions, just something to think
    > > > about.

    > > The limit is 12 spokes. These have 16 I think.
    > > Why wouldn't he be able to use them?

    > Actually, traditional wheels with 16 metal spokes
    > and above do not need to have been tested by
    > the UCI. Wheels can have less than 16 spokes,
    > i.e. the 12 spoke limit, but may need to be approved
    > by the UCI prior to use in a mass start race...
    > http://www.uci.ch/english/about/wheels.htm
    >
    > hippy

    Interesting to note that "traditional" wheels are exempt from the rupture
    test. Why?
    Surely all wheels should have to compy with the same rules.

    Marty

  9. adam

    adam Guest

    "TP" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > got one son U15 the other U13 soon to go up U17, U15
    > there are restrictions but at club level not to much of a drama....Im the
    > secretary anyway...i say its ok....
    > At states its an issue but am happy to change wheels over for such
    > ocassions........
    > To the young blokes looks are every thing.....
    >
    > bb

    for $50 you can't go wrong- keep em as spare wheels and they do look flash,
    but these rims are *heavy*. I tested these back to back with a set of 105
    hubs
    and open pro rims and the 540s took a lot more effort to accelerate and even
    hold the same speed. They stay true though for a low spoke count wheel,
    I guess because it's a strong heavy rim. They came standard on my partners
    Avanti Corsa Pro (and no the frame hasn't cracked - see Avanti thread) and
    I've seem them on lots of new bikes. OK for training but I'd rather race on
    something lighter. Put it this way, once my partner rode her bike with my
    open pros, I had to go and buy some new wheels for myself!

    Check the hub bearing adjustment too, these ones were too tight from new
    and chewed out the cone.

    Adam

  10. TP

    TP Guest

    Actually ive been toying with the idea of buying open pro rims & building a
    set of race wheels.
    Rims seem reasonably priced & one of the lightest on market,,,, spokes end
    up pricey once multiplied by the number required....a good hub & these have
    to be very competitive . (only a c grader)...any suggestions on spokes &
    hubs???
    I wonder some times if a $2000 + set are going to be any faster....

    bb

  11. ritcho

    ritcho New Member

    Joined:
    May 24, 2004
    About $600 will get you 32h Ultegra hubs + DT 14/15/14 stainless spokes, brass nipples and Open Pro rims (I used CXP-33s).

    Ritch

  12. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "TP" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:newscache$p5vv4i$[email protected]
    > Actually ive been toying with the idea of buying open pro rims & building

    > set of race wheels.
    > Rims seem reasonably priced & one of the lightest on market,,,, spokes end
    > up pricey once multiplied by the number required....a good hub & these

    have
    > to be very competitive . (only a c grader)...any suggestions on spokes &
    > hubs???

    DT spokes, Ultegra hubs.

    > I wonder some times if a $2000 + set are going to be any faster....

    Yes, but is it worth it in C? I lose far more races
    due to tactical error/positioning than my wheel
    choice.

    hippy

  13. ritcho

    ritcho New Member

    Joined:
    May 24, 2004
    It helped me... but the main reason you build your own is that racing on your own wheels is satisfying whether you win or lose. This is important in the congratulations/commiserations discussions after the race ;)

    What sort of tactical errors are you talking about? e.g., missing breaks? following the wrong wheels in the final? I haven't raced all that long, but so far, I've found that my results have correlated pretty well with my level of concentration in the race... bears thinking about.

    Ritch

  14. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "ritcho" <[email protected]
    > It helped me... but the main reason you build your own is that racing
    > on your own wheels is satisfying whether you win or lose. This is
    > important in the congratulations/commiserations discussions after the
    > race ;)

    I guess. I'd rather win on 'cheap' wheels, homemade or
    otherwise.

    > What sort of tactical errors are you talking about? e.g., missing
    > breaks? following the wrong wheels in the final? I haven't raced all
    > that long, but so far, I've found that my results have correlated
    > pretty well with my level of concentration in the race... bears
    > thinking about.

    Missing breaks, following the wrong wheel, wasting
    energy during the race and dying at the end, poor
    cornering leading to lost places.. you name it, I do it.

    I'm never focused. The work level I have to maintain
    to stay in the race sucks all the power (what little there
    is) from my brain. Tactically, all I can manage is "stay
    upright!" and "sprint past him.. now her.. and him.."
    It's like all my concentration goes into forward motion
    and just keeping out of trouble so there's nothing left
    for tactics.

    hippy

  15. ritcho

    ritcho New Member

    Joined:
    May 24, 2004
    Again, I'm not all that experienced in bike racing, but I've played enough sports to know that sometimes it's better to give up a little intensity in exchange for a bit of thinking. If you're currently using zero brain cells in thinking about what you should be doing in the race, it can't hurt to try it out in your next race. Even just a few percent less intensity seems to enhance your thinking ability manifold.

    A plan helps as well - being a newbie, my fault is/was to spend too much energy early, so I tried to stick to a plan of minimising time at the front in the first half of the race - then try to put pressure on the group at about halfway (test for a break). There was a risk that an early break would go, but sticking to the plan was the only way to control my (enthusiastic but ultimately useless) energy expenditure in the first half of the race. It also helped in identifying which riders needed to be watched for break attempts...

    Ritch.

    PS. Crit season soon? I've never tried it...

  16. qtq

    qtq Guest

    "TP" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Actually ive been toying with the idea of buying open pro rims &
    > building a set of race wheels.
    > Rims seem reasonably priced & one of the lightest on market,,,, spokes
    > end up pricey once multiplied by the number required....a good hub &
    > these have to be very competitive . (only a c grader)...any
    > suggestions on spokes & hubs???

    Why not buy velocity aeroheads? locally made!

    --
    to email me, run my email address through /usr/bin/caesar
    (or rotate by -4)

  17. Paulus

    Paulus Guest

    > "rayner" <[email protected]
    > >
    > > TP Wrote:
    > > > Thinking of buying wheels from friend who complains of breaking
    > > > spokes.....weights 90-100kg......for $50 for both
    > > > 1year old
    > > > use for me 80kgs of give to son 40kgs......
    > > > r these going to give me trouble or are spokes to tight???
    > > >

    > > > bb

    > > For that price you can't go wrong. If your son races he won't be able
    > > to use them due to spoke count restrictions, just something to think
    > > about.

    > The limit is 12 spokes. These have 16 I think.
    > Why wouldn't he be able to use them?

    I investigated the race legaility of these wheels before I bought my bike.
    They are sanctioned by the UCI. ->
    http://www.uci.ch/english/about/wheels.htm

  18. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "qtq" <[email protected]
    > "TP" <[email protected]> wrote in
    >
    > > Actually ive been toying with the idea of buying open pro rims &
    > > building a set of race wheels.
    > > Rims seem reasonably priced & one of the lightest on market,,,, spokes
    > > end up pricey once multiplied by the number required....a good hub &
    > > these have to be very competitive . (only a c grader)...any
    > > suggestions on spokes & hubs???

    > Why not buy velocity aeroheads? locally made!

    Good point. Buy locally. I race on Velocity Fusion rims.

    hippy

  19. Lotte

    Lotte New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2004
    >> I wonder some times if a $2000 + set are going to be any faster...

    >Yes, but is it worth it in C? I lose far more races
    >due to tactical error/positioning than my wheel
    >choice.

    That's ridiculous! The races I've lost (lots) have ALWAYS been due to technical problems (I blame my mechanic), frame geometry or someone else in the race.

    Lotte

  20. rayner

    rayner New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2003
    As of a couple of months ago, junior restrictions in Australia are 28 spokes f/r, 30mm max rim depth, clincher only and rim must not contain graphite,carbon etc.

    Have heard that they are goin to change this rule due to the amount of cheaper low spoked wheels.Rule was originally so that the rich kids didnt go out and buy double discs or zipps and smoke the poorer kids. Damn good rule if you ask me.

    NOTE: This is for u17 and younger 17 and over can use anything as long as it is sanctioned by uci.