Wharaoooya count

Colin Blackburn

Guest
Well, I think that's what he said as he tore past me. You know the sort of thing, passenger side
window down and the passenger screaming something at a cyclist as the car/van speeds past. I just
wondered if my wharaoooya count was higher than average. Durham certainly seems worse than Oxford.
My count last week was 3, about average. One was a bit odd though as it was the pillion passenger of
an oncoming scooter. The scooter rider pipped while the pillion rider gave me the finger and let out
a muffled scream which must have hurt his ears more than mine.

WHARAOOOYAAAAaaaa....

Colin

Colin Blackburn wrote:
> Well, I think that's what he said as he tore past me. You know the sort of thing, passenger side
> window down and the passenger screaming something at a cyclist as the car/van speeds past. I just
> wondered if my wharaoooya count was higher than average.

Dunno - you get a lot more of them on a bent, for sure. I've always thought they were shouting
"LookatmeI'macompletewanker!" but ICBW :)

--
Guy
===

> Well, I think that's what he said as he tore past me. You know the sort of thing, passenger side
> window down and the passenger screaming something at a cyclist as the car/van speeds past. I just
> wondered if my wharaoooya count was higher than average. Durham certainly seems worse than Oxford.
> My count last week was 3, about average. One was a bit odd though as it was the pillion passenger
> of an oncoming scooter. The scooter rider pipped while the pillion rider gave me the finger and
> let out a muffled scream which must have hurt his ears more than mine.

Sadly seems to be an increasingly common occurrence. Normally it is possible to identify at least
one of a relatively limited vocabulary -- typically a selection of one of about six words --
within the abuse. Maybe your friends were just more challenged in the use of even basic English
than the average.

Colin Blackburn wrote:
> Well, I think that's what he said as he tore past me. You know the sort of thing, passenger side
> window down and the passenger screaming something at a cyclist as the car/van speeds past. I just
> wondered if my wharaoooya count was higher than average. Durham certainly seems worse than Oxford.
> My count last week was 3, about average.

3 in a week! It's more like 3 per mile for me ...well, 3 per ride at least. I suspect my sense of
colour coordination has somthing to do with
it :)

~PB

Colin Blackburn wrote:

> Well, I think that's what he said as he tore past me. You know the sort of thing, passenger side
> window down and the passenger screaming something at a cyclist as the car/van speeds past. I just
> wondered if my wharaoooya count was higher than average. Durham certainly seems worse than Oxford.
> My count last week was 3, about average.

Aha, I though it was just me. NE Sheffield rates about 1 per month ATM.

--
Patrick Herring http://www.dcs.shef.ac.uk/cgi-bin/makeperson?P.Herring

Pete Biggs wrote:
> Colin Blackburn wrote:
>> Well, I think that's what he said as he tore past me. You know the sort of thing, passenger side
>> window down and the passenger screaming something at a cyclist as the car/van speeds past. I just
>> wondered if my wharaoooya count was higher than average. Durham certainly seems worse than
>> Oxford. My count last week was 3, about average.
>
> 3 in a week! It's more like 3 per mile for me ...well, 3 per ride at least. I suspect my sense of
> colour coordination has somthing to do with it :)

I can expect a wolf whistle or two if I do a longish road ride in cycling shorts (& a T-shirt). I'm
sure it's ironic, or just 15 year old girls realising their power to intimidate men in their early
20s by doing that kind of thing.

Mind you, there often don't seem to be any pedestrians around to comment, which is a shame. I mean,
people enjoying the open air and getting where they want to go is nice.

> Well, I think that's what he said as he tore past me. You know the sort of thing, passenger side
> window down and the passenger screaming something at a cyclist as the car/van speeds past. I just
> wondered if my wharaoooya count was higher than average. Durham certainly seems worse than Oxford.
> My count last week was 3, about average. One was a bit odd though as it was the pillion passenger
> of an oncoming scooter. The scooter rider pipped while the pillion rider gave me the finger and
> let out a muffled scream which must have hurt his ears more than mine.
>
> WHARAOOOYAAAAaaaa....
>
> Colin

LOL! That should definitely be in the cyclist's dictionary... What annoys me is when you are cycling
up a hill and some spotty kid yells "get those legs moving"... What do they think my legs are doing?
(although on reflection maybe they've noticed my distinct lack of speed perhaps?)

My worse "idiots in cars" moment was when some pillock stuck his arm out of the passenger's window
and belted me on the back, luckily my backpack took most of the impact but it still shook me up -
shame it didn't break the *******'s arm though!

/neil/

Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote:

> WHARAOOOYAAAAaaaa....

...is the ancient incantation used to summon up the paving slab fairy. Dump the bib shorts and
it'll stop ;-)

Tony

> Well, I think that's what he said as he tore past me. You know the sort of thing, passenger side
> window down and the passenger screaming something at a cyclist as the car/van speeds past. I just
> wondered if my wharaoooya count was higher than average. Durham certainly seems worse than Oxford.
> My count last week was 3, about average. One was a bit odd though as it was the pillion passenger
> of an oncoming scooter. The scooter rider pipped while the pillion rider gave me the finger and
> let out a muffled scream which must have hurt his ears more than mine.
>
> WHARAOOOYAAAAaaaa....
>
> Colin

in London in 3 years!!

Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> said:
> Well, I think that's what he said as he tore past me. You know the sort of thing, passenger side
> window down and the passenger screaming something at a cyclist as the car/van speeds past. I just
> wondered if my wharaoooya count was higher than average. Durham certainly seems worse than Oxford.
> My count last week was 3, about average. One was a bit odd though as it was the pillion passenger
> of an oncoming scooter. The scooter rider pipped while the pillion rider gave me the finger and
> let out a muffled scream which must have hurt his ears more than mine.

The charvas are obviously coming out of hibernation for though I haven't been buzzed by a scooter
yet, I got overtaken by a knackered misfiring fiesta with one wing a different colour the other
week. He was going slowly enough (due to the state of the vehicle) that I actually heard what the
passenger said to me.

"YAAAAAGH......**** bike..."

I then promptly overtook them when I hit a nice sharp downhill and they got stuck in traffic. Hoho.
**** bike indeed :)

Regards,

-david

> In article <[email protected]>, "Stephen \(aka steford\)"
> <[email protected]> says...
> >
> > in London in 3 years!!
> >

> Ah well, that'll be the sophistication Brian Sewell is on about then.

Well the driving isn't sophisticated that's for sure. Dunno - guess I don't wear anything outrageous
and keep my head down.A girl did compliment me last summer near my house when I was wearing a vest.
Apart from that - nothing!

>...is the ancient incantation used to summon up the paving slab fairy. Dump the bib shorts and
>it'll stop ;-)

Indeed!

Cheers, the paving slab fairy

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

> The charvas are obviously coming out of hibernation for though I haven't been buzzed by a
> scooter yet,

This was on South Road, and to be honest the scooter boys were buzzing everyone, peds, cyclists,
cagers, even cats, dogs and birds I imagine. Of course it could have been that the one on the back
had injured his finger and was shouting for a doctor.

> I got overtaken by a knackered misfiring fiesta with one wing a different colour the other week.
> He was going slowly enough (due to the state of the vehicle) that I actually heard what the
> passenger said to me.
>
> "YAAAAAGH......**** bike..."
>
> I then promptly overtook them when I hit a nice sharp downhill and they got stuck in traffic.
> Hoho. **** bike indeed :)

I hope you shouted, "YAAAAGH...**** car!" as you sailed past.

Colin

Stephen (aka steford) <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Colin Blackburn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > In article <[email protected]>, "Stephen \(aka steford\)"
> > <[email protected]> says...
> > >
> > > in London in 3 years!!
> > >

> > Ah well, that'll be the sophistication Brian Sewell is on about then.
> >
> Well the driving isn't sophisticated that's for sure. Dunno - guess I
don't
> wear anything outrageous and keep my head down.A girl did compliment me
last
> summer near my house when I was wearing a vest. Apart from that - nothing!

Well if your wearing nothing apart from a vest what do you expect :)

I've got to confess that I do find myself shouting things at cyclists when I'm being carted to the
shops in my partner's death cage. it's usually something like

"Use the BALLS of your feet!" "Use your gears, for gods sake!" "Your saddle's too high!" "Your
saddle's too low!" "Pump your bloody tyres up!"

or

"Ask your mum to buy you some lights!"

Of course I always make sure that the window is wound up first. And I don't shout too loud.

--
Roger Thorpe

My email address is spamtrapped. You can work it out!

> Well, I think that's what he said as he tore past me. You know the sort of thing, passenger side
> window down and the passenger screaming something at a cyclist as the car/van speeds past. I just
> wondered if my wharaoooya count was higher than average. Durham certainly seems worse than Oxford.
> My count last week was 3, about average. One was a bit odd though as it was the pillion passenger
> of an oncoming scooter. The scooter rider pipped while the pillion rider gave me the finger and
> let out a muffled scream which must have hurt his ears more than mine.
>
> WHARAOOOYAAAAaaaa....
>
> Colin

Another funny story this time the abuse of a pedestrian though! Around the age of 17 one of my mates
was out with 4 other mates packed in to one of their mum's minis (car not skirt). They were going up
a very steep hill in Matlock, Derbyshire (you'll know which one if you've ever been there). As they
came off the roundabout at the bottom of the hill at some speed my mate wound down the window and,
to impress the others, shouted "Slaphead" at a bald bloke walking up the hill. Within a couple of
seconds the 800cc mini, or whatever it was, started to falter on the incline and the blokes walking
speed became exactly that of the car as he walked alongside staring at them as my mate wound up the
window and cowered into the back seat - everyone else pointing at him.

Absolutely nothing to do with bikes but funny all the same.

Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote: ( Well, I think that's what he said as he tore
past me. You know the sort ) of thing, passenger side window down and the passenger screaming (
something at a cyclist as the car/van speeds past. I just wondered if my ) wharaoooya count was
higher than average. Durham certainly seems worse ( than Oxford.

There's probably more of it in Oxford than you remember. I don't think I've ever made it all the way
up Cumnor Hill without at least one Wharaoooya.

I had one turning right into Beaumont Street from St Giles' the other day. Since I always take the
corner very wide to get a run at the pedestrians queueing up just off the kerb at the Beaumont
Street crossing, and since the cars always cut the corner, he yelled at me as he was getting away
from the lights and getting ahead of me, but of course I was ahead of him by the time we were into
Beaumont Street so I just pulled into his lane and cycled slowly enough to hold him up all the way
to the station. Oddly he didn't shout at me at all while he was behind me, or when we were
eventually alongside each other at the end of Hythe Bridge Street, and I let him go.

I had occasion to shout at a car that was about to SMIDSY me last night; it was "What do you
think this is, a bloody supermarket car park?" but I guess he probably thinks it was Wharaoooya.
(I was stationary waiting for a chance to pull out to pass him, he was going slowly forward on
the wrong side of the road and looking back over his shoulder to judge how to reverse into a
highway parking space.)

"Roger Thorpe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've got to confess that I do find myself shouting things at cyclists when I'm being carted to the
> shops in my partner's death cage. it's usually something like
>
> "Use the BALLS of your feet!" "Use your gears, for gods sake!" "Your saddle's too high!" "Your
> saddle's too low!" "Pump your bloody tyres up!"
>
> or
>
> "Ask your mum to buy you some lights!"
>
> Of course I always make sure that the window is wound up first. And I don't shout too loud.
>

> --
> Roger Thorpe
>
> My email address is spamtrapped. You can work it out!

Have you tried '..and that's why you shouldn't buy full sussers for road / pavement riding!! - now
tighten it up!!' ? ..obviously not too loudly and with the window wound up. Dave.