What 700c tyre: For touring and quick commute?

dustyC

Aug 17, 2011
What 700c tyre: For touring and quick commute?

I like to ride fast but also commute and tour.
This involves tarmac and some hard packed and a little very fine gravel routes (think dusted path).

I previously did all this on a mountain bike converted for touring use. No suspension and used Maxxis Wormdrive tyres which have been excellent with whatever they came across (amazingly even light muddy conditions).

What 700c tyres would be recommended for using my cyclo cross for this?
Ideally I'd like a tyre with a slick centre tread for fast road use and sides that would assist grip in dusty or wet conditions.

Thank you for any useful advice :eek:)

If you can get hold of the August 2011 issue of Bicycle Times there is a review of 12 different tires. Take a look at the Bontrager H2 Reflex, Kenda Kwick Trax, and Soma New Express. I'm partial to the Continental Touring Plus because of the 3-ply casing but that's just me.

Thanks Moto.
It would appear that Bicycle times is a US magazine. I'm in the UK but if you could send me a "print code" for the article I could read it on line.
Thanks for the advice :)

Thanks Froze.
They still look a little nobbly in the middle for what im after but i will take a look in the shop.
My current MTB tyres are quite slick in the middle and so roll well. These are my summer tyres

Maxxis worm drive
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=28278

I cant find the specialized cross roads, obviously I have had them too long!

Having said all that maybe i should stick with what i have for the winter
Conti cyclocross speed
http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/de/en/continental/bicycle/themes/cross/crossquerfeldein/cyclocross_speed/cyclocross_speed_en.html

Thanks for all the help.

Originally Posted by dustyC .

Thanks Moto.
It would appear that Bicycle times is a US magazine. I'm in the UK but if you could send me a "print code" for the article I could read it on line.
Thanks for the advice :)
I have no idea what a "print code"is or where to find it but if you can point me in the right direction I would be glad to, I have the hardcopy issue right here.

I have no idea either I'm afraid. Their website has a box for "print code" and i assumed each article might have a code so it can be read on the net.

Originally Posted by dustyC .

I have no idea either I'm afraid. Their website has a box for "print code" and i assumed each article might have a code so it can be read on the net.
I sent a message to Bicycle Times asking about that. If they respond or not....? If they do I'll get back to you and let you know. Good luck.

I received a response back from the magazine with a PDF attachment. I'm doing this on my iPhone and will forward the PDF article when I get to my laptop.