What a fair amount of time to give a saddle for giving up on it?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Aztec, Jul 31, 2003.

1. Aztec

Aztec New Member

How many miles do you think is reasonable before declaring a saddle officially uncomfortable and incompatible with your anatomy? Now, I'm not talking about one that's obviously a problem, where say you are in tears after 5 minutes, or you've gone numb from knee to chin. I'm referring to the general unfriendly sensation, despite adjustment, that starts after say 10 miles, and becomes darn annoying after 15-20 miles.

I'm also curious to hear if cutouts make any difference at all by themselves. I'm thinking they don't. With material removed, you are placing more weight/stress on the area where there isn't a cutout.

FYI, I started w/a Koobi Enduro AU. After 200 miles, I decided it was too soft and wide, and the full length cutout didn't seem to do anything other than pinch. I now have 160 miles on a Selle Italia Turbomatic 3 Gel. Seems better since it's firmer and narrower (I'm a narrow guy at 5-10", 160 lbs), although it presses on the sensitive zone more than I'd like, and I find myself shifting in discomfort every minute or so after 10 miles.

Tags:

2. flea77

flea77 New Member

You would be thinking incorrectly. The are extremely nice for some people, but like anything else in saddles they are subjective to the person's anatomy.

I use a Trans Am Flite, it has a cut out. Before I got this saddle my privates got numb and it was quite sore down there. Now I dont have any problems at all. Well ok, after 40 miles or so my but is ready to get off, but then again I cant sit comfortably on my leather couch for three hours either :)

Allan

3. Aztec

Aztec New Member

I just realized the awful typos in my thread title. Oh, the shame!

It seems like the Turbomatic's gel is slowly softening up and putting less pressure on the sensitive zone. That's adding a little bit more time before discomfort becomes a problem. I think I'm at about an hour now before I start thinking about it.

4. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Guest

I'm 6 ft tall and weight approx 212 lbs and ride a Specialized Rockhopper recreationally - not hard core but around 25 miles weekly on asphalt and hard packed dirt.

So it's taken around 2 1/2 months to break in my Brooks B17. And that includes applying Proofhide at least once weekly.