What a fitness ride looks like

frank escubar

Jul 13, 2017
What a Fitness Ride Looks Like

As with any riding, this will vary from rider to rider. While cycling, the heart rate will be at a perceived exertion of somewhat hard to hard—an effort that feels hard but that you can maintain. If you’ve already got a solid athletic base, your first ride will be longer than if you’re starting out fresh. Fitness riding is defined by the amount of time spent on the bike combined with the effort at which you’re riding. Usually, this type of rider will spend a minimum of an hour riding, working up to an average of an hour-and-a-half to more than 3 hours per ride, between 2 and 5 days a week.

This can be quite a time commitment, but it’s also a great excuse to get away from the hurly-burly of our chaotic, plugged-in lives. This will also likely help you explore the place you live. You’ll be branching out to the undiscovered, quiet, low-traffic roads surrounding you. There will be new places you’ve never seen and places you’ve seen that you’ll observe in an entirely different light.
These rides usually take you outside of the city or on designated bike paths. If you’re lucky enough to live in a more rural area, you can roll out from your door and spend less time stopping and starting at the stoplights that get you out of town.
Actual mileage will depend a lot on how to fit you are, and even then how fast you are. Women often ride 2 to 3 miles per hour slower than men, even on their best days. So a 2-hour ride might take her 30 miles, while a man might be able to go closer to 40 miles. It all depends on the rider. Terrain and weather conditions will make a difference, too. A flat route might seem easier than a hilly one, but flat routes are also typically windier and not necessarily faster. In any case, most cyclists like to mix up their terrain.

source:
http://www.cyclingmagasine.com/2017/05/riding-for-healthier-life-fitness.html

Reactions: Kakashi
A fitness ride to me is something that will give me a good sweat, probably a 45-60 minute ride of varied terrain will do. Something that raises my heart rate and adrenalin level and will give me what I consider a good well rounded workout. But not so much as reaching my threshold because that would be considered an endurance run.

My usual ride is an hour but it is just around our village where the roads are not crowded so I could move continuously. Pedaling hard for 5 minutes then a leisure ride for 5 minutes. That is my routine in riding for my physical fitness which is more like a therapy. That 1 hour of riding is a good exercise but I could only ride on weekends when I have no work.

To me, a fitness anything is an activity that gets your heart rate up from its resting rate for an extended period of time. Meaning no matter how you do it, if you get your heart pumping higher for more than thirty minutes, you're in the fitness zone.

I'm fortunate enough to live in a rural area with plenty of room to explore and bike. Most of the time I like to go out into a local woodland area for some mountain biking. With many hills and dips, you really have to hold on to the handlebar and pedal hard, so as a result practically your whole body is being used.

Then when I feel like relaxing a bit more but still getting some exercise in, I have the option of pedaling through the local fields, using the roads that farmers make for getting to plots with their tractors.

That is unless it was raining. Don't go biking on dirt roads after rain. I learned the hard way.

My fitness ride is suited for my age. Elderly people are more prone to certain risk factors. This is why I can't do intense physical activities. I mostly do cycling to relax. I believe it's enough fitness exercise for someone like me.

I think everyone of us has his own unique fitness ride according to our ages, physique and health. Some also has more effective rides than others. What is important is to enjoy an effective fitness ride.

It just depends on your goals for fitness; personally, I'm content with just an hour of biking every day since I also don't have that much time in the mornings.