What a joke.

Tj

Guest
I see some posts that say " Dude, I can do 3 - 6 ft drops no problem" Then I see the drops that they
are talking about and fall out of my spandex lmmfao. 3'-6' drops. Yeah, right! a foot and a half at
the most. Hmmm, Lets see. I have a friend that rides who happens to be about 6'7" Some of these
dewbies are claiming that they are capable of doing a drop that is taller than my riding bud. I have
seen a rare few do such drops. Usually they are skilled, and core. Not the curb jumping mesa state
college students. I love it when people overstate their riding abilities. The drop in to Horsethief
is a prime example. Many claim to. Only a few have.

TJ can't wait until I get that 100 inches of rear travel.

"TJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I see some posts that say " Dude, I can do 3 - 6 ft drops no problem"
Then
> I see the drops that they are talking about and fall out of my spandex lmmfao. 3'-6' drops. Yeah,
> right! a foot and a half at the most.
Hmmm,
> Lets see. I have a friend that rides who happens to be about 6'7" Some
of
> these dewbies are claiming that they are capable of doing a drop that is taller than my riding
> bud. I have seen a rare few do such drops. Usually they are skilled, and core. Not the curb
> jumping mesa state college students. I love it when people overstate their riding abilities. The
> drop in to Horsethief is a prime example. Many claim to. Only a few
have.

> TJ can't wait until I get that 100 inches of rear travel.

I made the slope down to Horsetheif once, perhaps I skirted the drop. That was several years ago,
it seemed tougher last time I was there, perhaps erosion from rain and all. Yeah, I think your
probably right, but so what. We all get older, usually we get smarter and more realistic. If not,
it doesn't harm me.
--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

TJ wrote:
> I see some posts that say " Dude, I can do 3 - 6 ft drops no problem" Then I see the drops that
> they are talking about and fall out of my spandex lmmfao. 3'-6' drops. Yeah, right! a foot and a
> half at the most. Hmmm, Lets see. I have a friend that rides who happens to be about 6'7" Some of
> these dewbies are claiming that they are capable of doing a drop that is taller than my riding
> bud. I have seen a rare few do such drops. Usually they are skilled, and core. Not the curb
> jumping mesa state college students. I love it when people overstate their riding abilities. The
> drop in to Horsethief is a prime example. Many claim to. Only a few have.

Ask and ye shall receive: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/cliff/index.htm (Who guessed I was going to
post that link? :)

http://www.vorb.org.nz/modules.php?op=modload&name=My_eGallery&file=index&do=showgall&gid=2

"TJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I see some posts that say " Dude, I can do 3 - 6 ft drops no problem"
Then
> I see the drops that they are talking about and fall out of my spandex lmmfao. 3'-6' drops. Yeah,
> right! a foot and a half at the most.
Hmmm,
> Lets see. I have a friend that rides who happens to be about 6'7" Some
of
> these dewbies are claiming that they are capable of doing a drop that is taller than my riding
> bud. I have seen a rare few do such drops. Usually they are skilled, and core. Not the curb
> jumping mesa state college students. I love it when people overstate their riding abilities. The
> drop in to Horsethief is a prime example. Many claim to. Only a few
have.

> TJ can't wait until I get that 100 inches of rear travel.

I know what your talking about, I measure the drops I do by height of my body. everything looks a
lot higher once your on the bike looking down. I'm 5'11 and the highest drop I've done has been apx.
3 feet or my waist level. In the end its what you are capable of, the liers that say "oh yah i could
do 10 feet no problem", and then go to prove it,and break somethign arent very happy, in the end.

Dave

> TJ wrote:
> > I see some posts that say " Dude, I can do 3 - 6 ft drops no problem"
Then
> > I see the drops that they are talking about and fall out of my spandex lmmfao. 3'-6' drops.
> > Yeah, right! a foot and a half at the most.
Hmmm,
> > Lets see. I have a friend that rides who happens to be about 6'7" Some
of
> > these dewbies are claiming that they are capable of doing a drop that is taller than my riding
> > bud. I have seen a rare few do such drops.
Usually
> > they are skilled, and core. Not the curb jumping mesa state college students. I love it when
> > people overstate their riding abilities. The drop in to Horsethief is a prime example. Many
> > claim to. Only a few
have.

> Ask and ye shall receive: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/cliff/index.htm (Who guessed I was going to
> post that link? :)

http://www.vorb.org.nz/modules.php?op=modload&name=My_eGallery&file=index&do =showgall&gid=2

Not the pants again :)~~~~

TJ wrote:
> I see some posts that say " Dude, I can do 3 - 6 ft drops no problem" Then I see the drops that
> they are talking about and fall out of my spandex lmmfao. 3'-6' drops. Yeah, right! a foot and a
> half at the most. Hmmm, Lets see. I have a friend that rides who happens to be about 6'7" Some of
> these dewbies are claiming that they are capable of doing a drop that is taller than my riding
> bud. I have seen a rare few do such drops. Usually they are skilled, and core. Not the curb
> jumping mesa state college students. I love it when people overstate their riding abilities. The
> drop in to Horsethief is a prime example. Many claim to. Only a few have.
>
> TJ can't wait until I get that 100 inches of rear travel.

Personally, 2-2.5 feet is about my limit so far, judged by wheel diameter. Interestingly enough,
I've actually managed to clear a log (on the flats) that was just about the same size as my wheel...
I was sure I was going to endo, but had just enough momentum to get down off the sucker. It was much
easier the next few times, but drops still elude me. Something about me being afraid for my
straight-gauge aluminum hardtail ;)

I've got a friend here who's a pretty good DH/Freerider. He races for Tufts University Cycling with
me, but I do the XC stuff and he does the "gravity" classes. He only raced once last season, but
placed 2nd in class B DH and 3rd in class b dual cross (his first dual race, too). I also have video
of him doing drops ranging up to 20 feet (I freeze-framed it with him standing on top of the drop,
and measured with a ruler, its honest-to-goodness 20 feet). He bent his bars on the landing, but
stayed on and rode it out like a champ.

He also has some great riding skills. He actually went on a relaxed XC ride with us on his Cliffcat
Tankass (tiny hardtail frame, 24" wheels, 3" tires, 5" travel in front), and while he was suffering
on the climbs, he wasn't doing too badly keeping up with us. He also rode some stuff none of us
would touch. Nothing huge, but just like a 2-3 foot drop with a landing between two slabs of rock,
and then a tight turn (still in the crack between the rocks) within 5 feet. We all just watched with
our jaws by our knees ;)

Personally, tho, I'm fine not doing bigger drops. I'd rather have a twisty ribbon of singletrack,
maybe a technical climbing section, or just some fun rock crawling. I do have my eye on one sweet 3
foot drop at home, maybe I'll do it with my doublesquish once I get it ;)

Jon Bond

"TJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I see some posts that say " Dude, I can do 3 - 6 ft drops no problem" Then I see the drops that
> they are talking about and fall out of my spandex lmmfao. 3'-6' drops. Yeah, right! a foot and a
> half at the most. Hmmm, Lets see. I have a friend that rides who happens to be about 6'7" Some of
> these dewbies are claiming that they are capable of doing a drop that is taller than my riding
> bud. I have seen a rare few do such drops. Usually they are skilled, and core.

Sometimes "slilled" and "core" accompany off-trail dipshits. There are one or two around here, but
they know the ATGs are watching.

> Not the curb jumping mesa state college students.

They always seem to be on either a crapandflail, or some ridiculous engineless motorcycle. Yeah, a
major joke.

> I love it when people overstate their riding abilities. The drop in to Horsethief is a prime
> example. Many claim to. Only a few have.

I haven't in a while. Then again, I can't remember the last time I had anything other than the SS
there. That one off-camber move sure has grown, hasn't it?

JD

I see that some of the dewbies have pussified the ride down. A bunch of the rocks at the bottom have
been cleared.

TJ

TJ wrote:

> I see some posts that say " Dude, I can do 3 - 6 ft drops no problem" Then I see the drops that
> they are talking about and fall out of my spandex lmmfao. 3'-6' drops. Yeah, right! a foot and a
> half at the most. Hmmm, Lets see. I have a friend that rides who happens to be about 6'7" Some of
> these dewbies are claiming that they are capable of doing a drop that is taller than my riding
> bud. I have seen a rare few do such drops. Usually they are skilled, and core. Not the curb
> jumping mesa state college students. I love it when people overstate their riding abilities. The
> drop in to Horsethief is a prime example. Many claim to. Only a few have.
>
> TJ can't wait until I get that 100 inches of rear travel.

Horsethief Bench in Fruita? That's easy!

I've carried my bike down that slope a couple of times. :)

"TJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I see some posts that say " Dude, I can do 3 - 6 ft drops no problem"
Then
> I see the drops that they are talking about and fall out of my spandex lmmfao. 3'-6' drops. Yeah,
> right! a foot and a half at the most.
Hmmm,
> Lets see. I have a friend that rides who happens to be about 6'7" Some
of
> these dewbies are claiming that they are capable of doing a drop that is taller than my riding
> bud. I have seen a rare few do such drops. Usually they are skilled, and core. Not the curb
> jumping mesa state college students. I love it when people overstate their riding abilities. The
> drop in to Horsethief is a prime example. Many claim to. Only a few
have.

> TJ can't wait until I get that 100 inches of rear travel.

If you're talking about Horsethief Bench, I've always wondered if anyone actually rode the whole way
down since any mistakes to the left would be long and nasty.

bloocow - afraid of heights.

> If you're talking about Horsethief Bench, I've always wondered if anyone actually rode the whole
> way down since any mistakes to the left would be long and nasty.
>
> bloocow - afraid of heights.

That was a fun technical descent. I only rode it once... and had no problems getting down it on my
Loco-Moto. I remember shortly after I got to the bottom that I ripped my pedal from my crankarm,
threads and all. That was pretty much the end of that ride... had to limp back to the trailhead with
only one pedal. haha.

http://members.cox.net/jhnmorgan/Photos/Bike/horsethief.jpg

Awesome trail.

-John Morgan

The Waterfall at south mountain scares me more. =)

bomba wrote in message ...
>TJ wrote:
>> I see some posts that say " Dude, I can do 3 - 6 ft drops no problem"
Then
>> I see the drops that they are talking about and fall out of my spandex lmmfao. 3'-6' drops. Yeah,
>> right! a foot and a half at the most.
Hmmm,
>> Lets see. I have a friend that rides who happens to be about 6'7" Some
of
>> these dewbies are claiming that they are capable of doing a drop that is taller than my riding
>> bud. I have seen a rare few do such drops.
Usually
>> they are skilled, and core. Not the curb jumping mesa state college students. I love it when
>> people overstate their riding abilities. The drop in to Horsethief is a prime example. Many claim
>> to. Only a few
have.

>Ask and ye shall receive: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/cliff/index.htm (Who guessed I was going to
>post that link? :)
>
>http://www.vorb.org.nz/modules.php?op=modload&name=My_eGallery&file=index&d
o=showgall&gid=2

Ahh, Good to see you're using flat pedals...

TJ wrote in message ...
>I see that some of the dewbies have pussified the ride down. A bunch of
the
>rocks at the bottom have been cleared.

I have just found my new favourite verb / adjective.

spademan o---[)* wrote:

>>Ask and ye shall receive: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/cliff/index.htm (Who guessed I was going to
>>post that link? :)
>>
>>http://www.vorb.org.nz/modules.php?op=modload&name=My_eGallery&file=index&d
>
> o=showgall&gid=2
>

> Ahh, Good to see you're using flat pedals...

Flats for jumping, clipless for riding.

The Club Roost 2D's are another contender for the '**** Parts' museum.

Jonathan Bond wrote in message <[email protected]>...
>TJ wrote:
>> I see some posts that say " Dude, I can do 3 - 6 ft drops no problem"
Then
>> I see the drops that they are talking about and fall out of my spandex lmmfao. 3'-6' drops. Yeah,
>> right! a foot and a half at the most.
Hmmm,
>> Lets see. I have a friend that rides who happens to be about 6'7" Some
of
>> these dewbies are claiming that they are capable of doing a drop that is taller than my riding
>> bud. I have seen a rare few do such drops.
Usually
>> they are skilled, and core. Not the curb jumping mesa state college students. I love it when
>> people overstate their riding abilities. The drop in to Horsethief is a prime example. Many claim
>> to. Only a few
have.

>> TJ can't wait until I get that 100 inches of rear travel.
>

>Personally, 2-2.5 feet is about my limit so far, judged by wheel diameter. Interestingly enough,
>I've actually managed to clear a log (on the flats) that was just about the same size as my
>wheel... I was sure I was going to endo, but had just enough momentum to get down off the sucker.
>It was much easier the next few times, but drops still elude me. Something about me being afraid
>for my straight-gauge aluminum hardtail ;) Personally, tho, I'm fine not doing bigger drops. I'd
>rather have a twisty ribbon of singletrack, maybe a technical climbing section, or just some fun
>rock crawling. I do have my eye on one sweet 3 foot drop at home, maybe I'll do it with my
>doublesquish once I get it ;)

No disrespect meant but if you think you need a double-boinger to attempt a three foot drop, then
you probably shouldn't attempt the three foot drop. What I'm trying to say is that technique is best
learnt on a hardtail, and full sus is no substitute.

Steve E.

"P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "bloocow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> | If you're talking about Horsethief Bench, I've always wondered if anyone actually rode the whole
> | way down since any mistakes to the left would be long and nasty.
>
> http://216.40.212.28/video/horsethief.mpg
>

> --
> Pete Fagerlin

Mystery solved, although I'd like to solve it myself too.

bloocow - die another day.

spademan o---[)* wrote:

> I do have my eye on one sweet 3 foot drop
>>at home, maybe I'll do it with my doublesquish once I get it ;)
>

> No disrespect meant but if you think you need a double-boinger to attempt a three foot drop, then
> you probably shouldn't attempt the three foot drop. What I'm trying to say is that technique is
> best learnt on a hardtail, and full sus is no substitute.

Seconded. Suspension is not a replacement for skill.

On Mon, 03 Mar 2003 22:47:22 +0100, bomba <[email protected]> wrote:

>TJ wrote:
>> I see some posts that say " Dude, I can do 3 - 6 ft drops no problem" Then I see the drops that
>> they are talking about and fall out of my spandex lmmfao. 3'-6' drops. Yeah, right! a foot and a
>> half at the most. Hmmm, Lets see. I have a friend that rides who happens to be about 6'7" Some of
>> these dewbies are claiming that they are capable of doing a drop that is taller than my riding
>> bud. I have seen a rare few do such drops. Usually they are skilled, and core. Not the curb
>> jumping mesa state college students. I love it when people overstate their riding abilities. The
>> drop in to Horsethief is a prime example. Many claim to. Only a few have.
>
>Ask and ye shall receive: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/cliff/index.htm

That's so Photo shopped! ;-)

>(Who guessed I was going to post that link? :)
>
>http://www.vorb.org.nz/modules.php?op=modload&name=My_eGallery&file=index&do=showgall&gid=2

"TJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I see that some of the dewbies have pussified the ride down. A bunch of the rocks at the bottom
> have been cleared.

We know who that is. In fact, Angry and I had a confrontation with him last year. He had built a
cheesy rock ramp and we were tearing it out when he rode up and started wigging out. We laughed at
him and finished the job.

JD