What a joke.

> > The Waterfall at south mountain scares me more. =)
>
> I've never seen wet sand on the Waterfall. Sometimes Horsethief is covered and traction is just
> about nil.
>
> JD

You're probably right. The Waterfall is all rock, whereas Horsethief has a lot of loose sand and
boulders. The one time I rode it last summer, I recall it being very dry... in fact, the whole
climate was dry and dusty... reminded me a lot of home. Hahah, I'll have to take my road trip
earlier this year... maybe mid-May or so...

-John Morgan

"Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > No disrespect meant but if you think you need a double-boinger to
> attempt a
> > > three foot drop, then you probably shouldn't attempt the three foot
> drop.
> > > What I'm trying to say is that technique is best learnt on a hardtail,
> and
> > > full sus is no substitute.
> > >
> > > Steve E.
> >
> > I'm not saying that, its just that I'm not so confident in my frame. Give me a slightly beefier
> > hardtail and I'd do it too. I know you don't need a fully to do that type of stuff, far from it
> > (trials guys, my friend on his clifcat tankass), this is more a cajones thing ;) I'll probably
> > end up doing that drop whenever I get home this spring, doublesquish or not.
>
> A fully rigid trials bike lets you determine the truth about your riding skills.

Any rigid bike ridden as a mountain bike does that.

JD

> >>Flats for jumping, clipless for riding.
> >>

> > So what happens when you're out riding and come across some jumps?
>
> I'm more than capable of jumping in spuds. If I was going to specifically go out for a jumping
> session on the mtb (which, incidentally I no longer do), I'd put flats on.
>
> Thats
> > part of why I will only consider full sus bikes with a full range of
seat
> > hight adjustment. Because I don't want to be limited when I'm out on an xc-oriented ride. If I
> > see something that looks like a bit of an
interesting
> > diversion then I don't want to have to pass it up because I'm on my xc
bike
> > or whatever. I'd rather have the options open then be able to hammer efficiently.
>
> Each to their own. Personally, I'd rather have the efficiency of spuds than riding in flats on the
> off chance that there might be something interesting to ride, 15 miles down the trail.
>
> As of present, I've not come across anything on an XC ride where I wished I'd had flats, and these
> days I tend to find super steep technical 'off-piste style' stuff (for which I find spuds ok) more
> interesting than jumps or drops. If there was a jump / drop _that_ good, then I'd probably come
> back another time with the bmx.
>
> The other thing is, that I tend to be more cautious nowadays anyway. For the most part I ride
> alone, so getting stuck miles from the car / home with a broken leg / wheel is not a situation I
> want to be in.

Amen to that. Just being alone only a few miles from anywhere with a separated AC joint was cause
for concern for me a short while back. It's a VERY vunerable feeling being hurt and alone. I hate to
say it, but it's made me more cautious - not that I was a wild thang before that...

Westie

> a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm
>
> a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

>>>Personally, 2-2.5 feet is about my limit so far, judged by wheel diameter. Interestingly enough,
>>>I've actually managed to clear a log (on the flats) that was just about the same size as my
>>>wheel... I was sure I was going to endo, but had just enough momentum to get down off the sucker.
>>>It was much easier the next few times, but drops still elude me. Something about me being afraid
>>>for my straight-gauge aluminum hardtail ;) Personally, tho, I'm fine not doing bigger drops. I'd
>>>rather have a twisty ribbon of singletrack, maybe a technical climbing section, or just some fun
>>>rock crawling. I do have my eye on one sweet 3 foot drop at home, maybe I'll do it with my
>>>doublesquish once I get it ;)
>>

>> No disrespect meant but if you think you need a double-boinger to attempt
>> three foot drop, then you probably shouldn't attempt the three foot drop. What I'm trying to say
>> is that technique is best learnt on a hardtail,
and
>> full sus is no substitute.
>>
>> Steve E.
>
>I'm not saying that, its just that I'm not so confident in my frame. Give me a slightly beefier
>hardtail and I'd do it too. I know you don't need a fully to do that type of stuff, far from it
>(trials guys, my friend on his clifcat tankass), this is more a cajones thing ;) I'll probably end
>up doing that drop whenever I get home this spring, doublesquish or not.
>
>Just something about a straight gauge aluminum, originally 700 (complete) bike that even I can feel
>the BB flexing on that I just don't trust to high impacts ;)
>
>Jon Bond

I hear ya. I was trying to say that if you learn how to drop properly on a rigid, then when / if you
eventually move to a full sus it will thank you for it. Its harder to notice when you land harshly
on a full sus, it may still seem smooth to you but your shock and linkages will be taking a beating.
Anyway if you do try it on your hardtail and it breaks - perfect excuse for an upgrade...

Oh and one final thing, if you're nervous of doing drops on your cheap(ish) hardtail then think how
much more nervous you will be on your bling bling new full-susser.....

Steve E.

spademan o---[)* wrote:

>>>No disrespect meant but if you think you need a double-boinger to attempt

>>>three foot drop, then you probably shouldn't attempt the three foot drop. What I'm trying to say
>>>is that technique is best learnt on a hardtail,
>>
> and
>
>>>full sus is no substitute.
>>>
>>>Steve E.
>>
>>I'm not saying that, its just that I'm not so confident in my frame. Give me a slightly beefier
>>hardtail and I'd do it too. I know you don't need a fully to do that type of stuff, far from it
>>(trials guys, my friend on his clifcat tankass), this is more a cajones thing ;) I'll probably end
>>up doing that drop whenever I get home this spring, doublesquish or not.
>>
>>Just something about a straight gauge aluminum, originally 700 (complete) bike that even I can
>>feel the BB flexing on that I just don't trust to high impacts ;)
>>
>>Jon Bond
>>

> I hear ya. I was trying to say that if you learn how to drop properly on a rigid, then when / if
> you eventually move to a full sus it will thank you for it. Its harder to notice when you land
> harshly on a full sus, it may still seem smooth to you but your shock and linkages will be taking
> a beating. Anyway if you do try it on your hardtail and it breaks - perfect excuse for an
> upgrade...
>
> Oh and one final thing, if you're nervous of doing drops on your cheap(ish) hardtail then think
> how much more nervous you will be on your bling bling new full-susser.....
>
> Steve E.

I don't mind breaking expensive parts, they're far less likely to break than cheapo ones. I'm more
concerned about bodily injury, that has more lasting effects ;)

Jon Bond

On Mon, 3 Mar 2003 23:22:43 -0800, "P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"bloocow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>
>| If you're talking about Horsethief Bench, I've always wondered if anyone actually rode the whole
>| way down since any mistakes to the left would be long and nasty.
>
>http://216.40.212.28/video/horsethief.mpg

nice, bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind
:-]

JD wrote:
> "John Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
>>>If you're talking about Horsethief Bench, I've always wondered if anyone actually rode the whole
>>>way down since any mistakes to the left would be long and nasty.
>>>
>>>bloocow - afraid of heights.
>>
>>That was a fun technical descent. I only rode it once... and had no problems getting down it on my
>>Loco-Moto. I remember shortly after I got to the bottom that I ripped my pedal from my crankarm,
>>threads and all. That was pretty much the end of that ride... had to limp back to the trailhead
>>with only one pedal. haha.
>>
>>http://members.cox.net/jhnmorgan/Photos/Bike/horsethief.jpg
>>
>>Awesome trail.
>>
>>-John Morgan
>>
>>The Waterfall at south mountain scares me more. =)
>

> I've never seen wet sand on the Waterfall. Sometimes Horsethief is covered and traction is just
> about nil.
>
> JD

Horsethief. Is this the place where I took my first endo? The rather rocky, sandy descent after the
dirt road climb to the top from the parking lot? Oh wait. That was twice. Rather mellow get-offs.
Nice and slow-mo. I think it was the second (third) that I got a tasty mouthful of Fruita soil.
Mmmmmm. Nothing like a taste of sand. And throw a little crypto in there too. Yummmm.

John Spann

John Morgan wrote:
>>>The Waterfall at south mountain scares me more. =)
>>
>>I've never seen wet sand on the Waterfall. Sometimes Horsethief is covered and traction is just
>>about nil.
>>
>>JD
>

> You're probably right. The Waterfall is all rock, whereas Horsethief has a lot of loose sand and
> boulders. The one time I rode it last summer, I recall it being very dry... in fact, the whole
> climate was dry and dusty... reminded me a lot of home. Hahah, I'll have to take my road trip
> earlier this year... maybe mid-May or so...
>
> -John Morgan

You should do it in September. 3ZSSE03. Yes.

John Spann

"John Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > > The Waterfall at south mountain scares me more. =)
> >
> > I've never seen wet sand on the Waterfall. Sometimes Horsethief is covered and traction is just
> > about nil.
> >
> > JD
>
> You're probably right. The Waterfall is all rock, whereas Horsethief has a lot of loose sand and
> boulders. The one time I rode it last summer, I recall it being very dry... in fact, the whole
> climate was dry and dusty... reminded me a lot of home. Hahah, I'll have to take my road trip
> earlier this year... maybe mid-May or so...

It would be pretty normal for it to be dry by mid-May. Even if there's moisture falling on it now.

JD, is there moisture falling on it now? Is Grand Valley gittin' hit?

It's absolutely dumping here. Monarch is reporting 15 new inches as of
4:00 AM. And I can't see more than half a mile west right now. Could be another 15 inches by
dinner time.

I might have to expose my healing shoulder to the pole plant test, see if I could stand it. If it's
going to be hip deep at the local ski hill, I better fill a pocket with ibuprofren, get up there and
flop around in it.
--
Tom "WOO HOO!" Purvis Salida, CO

news:<[email protected]>...

http://www.angelfire.com/freak2/gvtrails

> It's absolutely dumping here. Monarch is reporting 15 new inches as of
> 4:00 AM. And I can't see more than half a mile west right now. Could be another 15 inches by
> dinner time.
>
> I might have to expose my healing shoulder to the pole plant test, see if I could stand it. If
> it's going to be hip deep at the local ski hill, I better fill a pocket with ibuprofren, get up
> there and flop around in it.

I've been xc skiing a bit on the Grand Mesa. Excellent snow this year.

JD

hello, I am a keen mountain biker from the south of england. next year I am off to south america and
new zealand for a years hardcore ridin......... has anyone out there riden these shores?

Try a new post with the subject changed. You may get better info.

TJ

news:[email protected]...

Darren Mitchell wrote:
> hello, I am a keen mountain biker from the south of england. next year I am off to south america
> and new zealand for a years hardcore ridin......... has anyone out there riden these shores?

I've ridden the South Shore at Blackpool.