What a moron I work with

Ralph Ray

Jun 26, 2003
You will love this. So a guy I work with tells me he took his son out to Toys R Us on his sons birthday. He asks him what he thinks he wants. His boy tells him, "I wouldn't mind getting a new bike." (his boy turned 11) He tells him, what do you want a bike for, you will be 12 soon and that's about the cutoff age when you quit riding a bike. Of course this guy is out of shape and could not do 3 blocks on a bike without breathing hard. Now that kid has it in his mind that at 12 I should not ride a bike anymore. Good thing Greg LeMonds dad never told him that when he was 11. I am sure he will tell him when to start drinking beer. What a moron.

Originally posted by Ralph Ray
You will love this. So a guy I work with tells me he took his son out to Toys R Us on his sons birthday. He asks him what he thinks he wants. His boy tells him, "I wouldn't mind getting a new bike." (his boy turned 11) He tells him, what do you want a bike for, you will be 12 soon and that's about the cutoff age when you quit riding a bike. Of course this guy is out of shape and could not do 3 blocks on a bike without breathing hard. Now that kid has it in his mind that at 12 I should not ride a bike anymore. Good thing Greg LeMonds dad never told him that when he was 11. I am sure he will tell him when to start drinking beer. What a moron.
PLEASE tell me you are rich enough to buy this kid a bike on your own, or if not that you know the family well enough to provide the kid with an alternate adult model - so he does not grow up to be a fat slob like his dad!!

Not suprising, many people think that bikes are for kids... Its sad. At the shop I work at, something like this goes on all the time. The little kids bike thats for 2-4 yr olds is pink. All the kids love it and go strait to it when they enter the shop. Every dad I've seen says that he wont buy a pink bike for his son, as if the 2yr old really thinks that a boy riding a pink bike is homosexual.

Originally posted by Rompinrhino
Not suprising, many people think that bikes are for kids... Its sad. At the shop I work at, something like this goes on all the time. The little kids bike thats for 2-4 yr olds is pink. All the kids love it and go strait to it when they enter the shop. Every dad I've seen says that he wont buy a pink bike for his son, as if the 2yr old really thinks that a boy riding a pink bike is homosexual.
Hell, in that case be sure to wink at the next dad who says that. LOL

Originally posted by Ralph Ray

This is a joke, right?? Please tell me this is a joke....no seriously, please tell me it's a joke.

Originally posted by Rompinrhino

Everyone knows a two year-old is only homosexual if he runs to a bike with no top tube. Color has no bearing...some people know *nothing* about science. Sheesh!

Sorry to say, it's no joke. It's kind of sad. If the parents don't like to ride, it's no excuse to keep the kids from enjoying cycling. I think this qualifies as some form of child abuse. It's not a money issue either. He said the kid had about $300.00 from his birthday to buy what he wanted. He just talked him out of a bike. I think he rubbed it in because he knows I am a cyclist. Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face. I will be happy to relay any messages you have for him. Believe me, I already gave him my 2 cents worth.

My mother in law grew up in a very rural part of Washington state, and never learned to swim or ride a bike. Her dad wasn't much into exercise that wasn't "productive" (he owned a farm and got his workout that way). To this day, my mother in law is still bitter about never learning to do either thing, and sadly she now thinks it's too late to pursue them. It just goes to show how much influence adults have on children early on, and how the consequences will be with the kids forever. Hopefully this child has a pal who is into BMX bikes.

Yep, pink bikes and then .. gracious it's spandex .. oh, and then PINK spandex .. whatever next I ask myself.. gotta be gay, gay, gay - ehh?!??!

Originally posted by Susan Repp
Yep, pink bikes and then .. gracious it's spandex .. oh, and then PINK spandex .. whatever next I ask myself.. gotta be gay, gay, gay - ehh?!??!
Yep - and then suddenly the bubba dad will be on Jerry Springer in his Klan robes and...oh well, time to go cycling!