What about a forum here for age 55+ riders?

flapsupcleanup

Aug 14, 2004
I believe there are a lot of us older dudes here many of whom can ride very strongly. I'd like to see a forum on this site where we can exchange info which is relevant for the geezers here! What do you all think? With enough support I'm sure the administrators would do it.

Great, I'll drink to that!!

We can talk about flat bars, suspension seat posts and stainless steel thermos flasks. :)

Seriously, yes, we do have some special health issues worth sharing.

I hesitate to promote a competing site, but there is a section on a forum for 50+ riders at http://www,bikeforums.net

A nice group seems to hang out there.

And, I would love to see a forum here focused on the needs of older riders and advice from the same.

flapsupcleanup said:
I believe there are a lot of us older dudes here many of whom can ride very strongly. I'd like to see a forum on this site where we can exchange info which is relevant for the geezers here! What do you all think? With enough support I'm sure the administrators would do it.
Can you elaborate on the types of info that would be relevant for fast geezers but *not* relevant for fast younger folks or younger folks that are hoping to become fast geezers someday? Sorry if I'm not in tune with the special needs of the 55+ crowd, but they seem to hold their own pretty well on the group rides I participate in.

Well, sure....

First a little background on me, I'm 55, 6'2" 160lbs. Been riding hard pretty much for 30 yrs. Used to race occasionally in the 80's but now I stick with the fast club rides. I can hurt lots of younger guys on the climbs, but they frequently pay me back on the flats.

A few things I have noticed in my riding as time marches on:

I feel as strong as I did years ago but now if I dont get a good warmup in I have nothing at all. When I was younger, I could pretty much leave the house in a sprint and just keep going.

I dont think my max power output is what it used to be, not surprisingly but my steady state power feels as good as ever. Not sure because the powertap hasnt arrived yet:) Surges in the group hurt more than they used to.

Nutrition is WAY more critical to my riding now than it used to be. Back then I would make a half hearted attempt to eat right but it didnt really seem to matter much to my performance. Now, if I dont get my intake exactly right it has a huge effect on my riding.

Now of course, these issues apply to all riders regardless of their ages, but it seems to me that the older folks need to be much more particular because there is evidently less margin for error in nutrition, training, etc.

I for one would like to hear from guys like myself on what/how they do it.

flapsupcleanup said:
Well, sure....

First a little background on me, I'm 55, 6'2" 160lbs. Been riding hard pretty much for 30 yrs. Used to race occasionally in the 80's but now I stick with the fast club rides. I can hurt lots of younger guys on the climbs, but they frequently pay me back on the flats.

A few things I have noticed in my riding as time marches on:

I feel as strong as I did years ago but now if I dont get a good warmup in I have nothing at all. When I was younger, I could pretty much leave the house in a sprint and just keep going.

I dont think my max power output is what it used to be, not surprisingly but my steady state power feels as good as ever. Not sure because the powertap hasnt arrived yet:) Surges in the group hurt more than they used to.

Nutrition is WAY more critical to my riding now than it used to be. Back then I would make a half hearted attempt to eat right but it didnt really seem to matter much to my performance. Now, if I dont get my intake exactly right it has a huge effect on my riding.

Now of course, these issues apply to all riders regardless of their ages, but it seems to me that the older folks need to be much more particular because there is evidently less margin for error in nutrition, training, etc.

I for one would like to hear from guys like myself on what/how they do it.

but couldn't those questions be asked in this forum? Not that i have anything against you wanting an over 55's room.

I coach a few people in this age range, and the most striking things i find are
1) they can be really committed to their training
2) recovery is a little delayed (compared to younger riders)
3) they generally pay more attention to their diet

ric

Yep, they sure could, Ric and I peruse these threads a lot to try and pick up hints. But at the same time, I feel a bit like I am venturing into unknown territory trying to ride hard at this age. It would be sort of comforting to hear someone else of my own age saying, "oh yeah, that happens to me also...."

I think I'm qualified to respond to this question. I'll be 62 later this month. I used to race pretty seriously in the 1970s and stopped cycling for a long time due to life (especially 200K frequent flyer miles/year). I got back on my bike in March this year, with the goal of getting in shape to race again by next Spring. I was in pretty lousy fitness when I got back on my bike (weight 212, body fat ~28%, sustainable power ~100w). I have ridden 2 hrs/day for a little more than 4 months now and have come a long way in my fitness (weight 175, body fat 19%, sustainable power ~275w). I'm rapidly gaining my former strength, endurance and skills. About the main differences I have noticed between now and when I was in my 20s is that it took me awhile to regain my form off the saddle (the "dance") and I got sore glutes from pushing a little too hard on intervals after a couple of months at 75%MHR. In my 20s I didn't even know I had glutes. I have no problem staying with the younger riders on my club rides. In fact, I'm usually pushing the pace uphill and upwind. Frankly, I can't think of one issue I am addressing that is different from the younger riders except that I may be able to take advantage of senior discounts getting into national parks. And, when I start racing again next Spring, I'm anticipating a pretty fast pace.

flapsupcleanup said:
Yep, they sure could, Ric and I peruse these threads a lot to try and pick up hints. But at the same time, I feel a bit like I am venturing into unknown territory trying to ride hard at this age. It would be sort of comforting to hear someone else of my own age saying, "oh yeah, that happens to me also...."

As RD mentions above (edit) some older riders don't see a difference, and of course some do. I've raced with older guys and some have been good - very good, while others have liked dropped fitness a little as they've aged.

I think if you're unsure what to do you've got several options (in no particular order),
1) try experimenting to see what does and doesn't work for you
2) share your experiences and read others experiences
3) try coaching. a good coach, such as the our group RST - will be able to advise you on specifics and have had experience of working with older riders (therefore cutting out the guess work and experimentation on your part)

Ric

All good advice, of course and thanks. I am doing the experimenting constantly. Lots of miles and you cant help but notice what works and what doesnt work. I often wonder how fast I am now compared to years ago. If only I'd had a power meter than. Actually, if only I had one now, it hasnt arrived yet. But I feel great, I ride fast, and I enjoy it. 7000 miles last year! Oh, and dont forget the senior menu at Denny's!

Curse you seniors and your breakfast rides! Not only do you beat the younger guys to the restaurant, but you get your meal for less to boot! :D

Can't resist chiming in, since I'm a 55+ Masters racer. In general I side with those who say that almost all of the issues which impact us are the same that impact anyone who is training seriously. (Incidentally I now know why I like RapDaddy's postings - our histories are similar - I raced a lot in the mid-60s - early 70's -starting before they invented categories, went straight to Cat3, was never in danger of becoming a cat2... - then turned into a runner for my working life, and returned to cycling in 2000 related to a forced early retirement; been racing again the last 3 years.) I'm sure that most of my stats are lower than they were, but I'm training with much more structure, so the absolute numbers aren't really relevant. And yes, we probably need more recovery, but I'm not sure how that changes our training vs. a younger rider. I know that my schedule (apologies to Ric, I use CTS, but presume there are more similarities than differences) is Monday off, Tues-Thurs a 3-day block with at least two of those being pretty hard GR and/or interval days, Fri off or recovery, then a 2-day block over the weekend, again fairly intense Sat and hard GR Sun, or pre-race workout and race. The point in giving the detail is that I suspect that schedule won't look too different for a 30-yr-old or for us Master geezers. What probably is different is the workload, i.e. the number of intervals and the wattage (yes, I'm a PowerTap convert!), but that has more to do with individual ability than age per se. But if anyone has a question that they feel is really age related, throw the words "55+" in the subject line, I'm sure that all of we old guys will jump right in!

Ok, guys...yer on:

As I mentioned upthread, I have found that my diet, especially right before and during a hard ride is critical. When I was younger, it didnt seem to matter but now it can make the difference between setting the pace and getting dropped. Has anyone else noticed this through the years?

palewin said:
I know that my schedule (apologies to Ric, I use CTS, but presume there are more similarities than differences) is Monday off, Tues-Thurs a 3-day block with at least two of those being pretty hard GR and/or interval days, Fri off or recovery, then a 2-day block over the weekend, again fairly intense Sat and hard GR Sun, or pre-race workout and race.

From what you've written here and in another thread, and from what people who've come to RST from CTS have said, there's probably some big differences.

Ric

flapsupcleanup said:
Ok, guys...yer on:

As I mentioned upthread, I have found that my diet, especially right before and during a hard ride is critical. When I was younger, it didnt seem to matter but now it can make the difference between setting the pace and getting dropped. Has anyone else noticed this through the years?

Perhaps the general standard of riding has increased over the years? This is something i've noticed

ric

I agree....

I started riding last year, and it would be nice to relate with older riders instead of some young turk who has testosterone to spare. Its hard to really compare my progress against someone 20 years younger. Through trial and error (and some pain) I've learned some do's and don't of cycling at 54.

You do have to warm up more
You do need more recovery time
You do have to eat much more sensibly
You do have more joint pains
You do get to know your chiropractor by first name
You don't try to ride with a pack of 20-30 year olds
You don't bounce off the pavement as well
You don't bounce back from injuries as well
You don't abuse your body without paying the price

Besides, the shear fact that we're still willing at 50+ to push our bodies should earn us the right to ask for our own forum.:D

hate to promote another site but have found a 50 and over forum at bike.com dont worry though there is a lot of infromation from this site as well and i enjoy all bike related sites.