What about Stitching a cut on a tire with nylon tread - will it work?

David_Zen

Jun 23, 2003
Recently, I punctured my rear wheel going up a hill. I had rolled over a sharp piece of metal that left a sizable cut on my tire. The cut was so big that when I inflated a new tube it popped through the hole and burst. I found a temporary solution by placing a patch on the inside of the tire to cover the hole but I still get a bulge and I think if I ride it much like that the hole may get bigger or the tube might just burst again.

So I'm thinking, what if I stitch the hole with nylon tread? Will that work?

Ok, I know an easier solution would be to just buy a new tire but I can't afford another tire like this right now. These tires (Specialized FatboyTires) cost me $90 each. I bought a cheaper fatter tire for $15 but I know it won't give me the same ride.

Anyway, if stitching the tire does not work and I end up using the cheaper fatter tire, should I put it on the back wheel or on the front wheel since I still have one FatboyTire in good condition?

David_Zen said:
Recently, I punctured my rear wheel going up a hill. I had rolled over a sharp piece of metal that left a sizable cut on my tire. The cut was so big that when I inflated a new tube it popped through the hole and burst. I found a temporary solution by placing a patch on the inside of the tire to cover the hole but I still get a bulge and I think if I ride it much like that the hole may get bigger or the tube might just burst again.

Ok, I know an easier solution would be to just buy a new tire but I can't afford another tire like this right now. These tires (Specialized FatboyTires) cost me $90 each. I bought a cheaper fatter tire for $15 but I know it won't give me the same ride.

Anyway, if stitching the tire does not work and I end up using the cheaper fatter tire, should I put it on the back wheel or on the front wheel since I still have one FatboyTire in good condition?
Don't waste you time with stitching.There are proper boots,but your gash may be too much even for them.

I can't imagine a thread or a home technique which could do the job -- either it would take you about 5 miles to burn through it, or it'd be a problem in some other respect (thick enough to feel, or messy enough to chafe your tube, or something).

Anyways, stitching seems impractical to me.

$90.00 for one tire? Pardon my sceptisizm but I have never heard of any tire costing that much, something does not sound right. I am doubtful....

David_Zen said:

Look where he is posting...that is probably why the tires cost so much.

Stitching is a no-no. Find an old tire of similar construction. Cut a patch from this old tire 4X bigger than the cut. Buff the tread off this patch and lightly buff a correcponding area inside the tire. Apply contact cement to both, let dry and carefully assemble.

Once the tire is mounted, wrap strapping tape around the booted area and then inflate. Let it sit for a few hours before cutting the tape off.