What about teenagers with bikes?

My son (15 YO) walks to school - about a 40 minute walk - then walks to extracurricular activities
and walks or takes the bus home. I would have thought that a bike would have been perfect for his
commute. When I ask him about it, he shrugs and mumbles that walking is better exercise. His sister
let me in on the attraction of the walk - his route includes going past a couple of girls houses,
and they walk together - so it is a social thing for him.

"Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> My son (15 YO) walks to school - about a 40 minute walk -
then walks
> to extracurricular activities and walks or takes the bus
home. I
> would have thought that a bike would have been perfect for
his
> commute. When I ask him about it, he shrugs and mumbles
that walking
> is better exercise. His sister let me in on the
attraction of the
> walk - his route includes going past a couple of girls
houses, and
> they walk together - so it is a social thing for him.

That's certainly a big pull! When I was in high school, most of us took the train and/or bus. I rode
my bike during frequent train strikes and also during swimming season, because the train didn't run
early enough for swimming practice. But most of our social lives revolved around the train stations,
so I felt a little out of it when I rode my bike.

Matt O.

in article [email protected], Luigi de Guzman at [email protected]
wrote on 2/9/03 11:56 PM:

> would you attribute it entirely to laziness, or are there other factors involved?
>
> I find that there are a lot of people I talk to that say, at least, that they'd like to ride their
> bicycle to get around, but are scared of having to share the road with cars-- "If I'm on the road
> in a car, at least I've got two tons of steel protecting me if someone else hits me," they tell
> me. "On the bike, nothing; I feel naked." Some people are amenable to reason; the usual Effective
> Cycling talk, backed with an offer to go for a ride together, may work here.

I have a cow orker who is getting the itch to ride. He started out last fall studying my metro area
bike route map (posted on my cubicle wall) and realized that he could easily get from his
neighborhood to the Sunset MAX station, and it was an easy shot from the Quatama station to work.
(He was all set to try it last fall, but his wife put her foot down and told him absolutely he was
not going to be riding his bike at night.)

But he started out with "In the street? In the bike lanes? I'd never ride there, it's too dangerous.
I'd use the sidewalks."

I think I convinced him otherwise, but I probably still have some work to
do. I'm thinking I may be doing a Saturday test ride with him sometime this spring.

I've been commuting several days a week through the winter, 14 miles round trip by my current route.
No great shakes by many of your standards, but I am the only one in my company that rides in the
winter at all.

Last fall the HR person made a point of personally making sure I had a light on my bike. She really
didn't want to have to replace me. I had others look at me askance when they heard I planned to ride
through the winter (although they quieted down when they had a chance to see me lit for riding). The
fact that I would ride that distance at all, even in summer, is a point of amazement for some.

> The vast majority, however, are simply paralysed by fear of motorized traffic, and resolutely
> refuse to ride their bicycles anywhere where there might be the slightest whiff of other vehicle
> traffic. Which makes me conclude that they are either lying through their teeth about a desire to
> ride their bicycles, or genuinely that scared...There's got to be something that can be done, from
> a policy standpoint, short of bicycle apartheid, to address their concerns.

Or maybe not. My wife is one of them. She has tried riding on the road, but it just gives her the
willies. And it would just take one car buzzing her too close to terrify her completely. Or perhaps
that is what happened and she didn't tell me about it. I never discuss stuff that may have happened
when I've ridden with her. She would worry herself sick.

> -Luigi Go play in traffic!

What a great line.

--
Alan Jeddeloh "ajeddelo at easystreet dot com" That which does not kill me sometimes just makes me
wish I was dead.

Alan Jeddeloh <[email protected]> wrote in message news:

> I have a cow orker who is getting the itch to ride. He started out last fall studying my metro
> area bike route map (posted on my cubicle wall) and realized that he could easily get from his
> neighborhood to the Sunset MAX station, and it was an easy shot from the Quatama station to work.
> (He was all set to try it last fall, but his wife put her foot down and told him absolutely he was
> not going to be riding his bike at night.)

This is your problem. You're old, you have responsibilities, and worst of all, you have *wives*.
Definitely an impediment to progress. *grin*

<snip>

> Last fall the HR person made a point of personally making sure I had a light on my bike. She
> really didn't want to have to replace me. I had others look at me askance when they heard I
> planned to ride through the winter (although they quieted down when they had a chance to see me
> lit for riding). The fact that I would ride that distance at all, even in summer, is a point of
> amazement for some.

It looks like you've become your office's pet cyclist!

<snip>

> Or maybe not. My wife is one of them. She has tried riding on the road, but it just gives her the
> willies. And it would just take one car buzzing her too close to terrify her completely. Or
> perhaps that is what happened and she didn't tell me about it. I never discuss stuff that may have
> happened when I've ridden with her. She would worry herself sick.

My mother is like this. She refuses to even consider cycling; even in spite of the fact that I'm now
very keen, and my brothers are learning quickly, and even Dad wobbles about on a bicycle
occasionlly--just around the block with the boys, see. But my mother refuses; she had a horrible
time learning to ride a bicycle as a girl--indeed, I think she had to sneak away with my uncle to
learn, lest her father find out (he disapproved of girls on bicycles), and spilled a couple of
times, very badly.

That, and a few other experiences have put her off cycling for life, and have definitely put her
off riding in traffic. She resolutely refuses to have my 13 year old brother go riding any
significant distance on his own--I have to be with him if we need to go the mile to the library,
say. She doesn't get on my case for being unsafe anymore, especially after she's actually driven by
me in traffic.

-Luigi

"...revocate animos, maestumque timorem mittite; forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit"

Luigi de Guzman <[email protected]> wrote:
> The vast majority, however, are simply paralysed by fear of motorized traffic, and resolutely
> refuse to ride their bicycles anywhere where there might be the slightest whiff of other vehicle
> traffic. Which makes me conclude that they are either lying through their teeth about a desire to
> ride their bicycles, or genuinely that scared...There's got to be something that can be done, from
> a policy standpoint, short of bicycle apartheid, to address their concerns.

> What amazes me is that people will go through all sorts of extremes to take personal risks for
> their amusement and will not countenance even a negligible increase in risk for
> instrumnental--that is, utilitarian--purposes. I'm particularly amused by the BMX kiddies I see
> when I'm home (Northern VA). They show no fear whatsoever when they attempt maneuvers on their
> bikes that would make me sick with fear--and yet, they can't ride on the street to get where
> they're going to...I'm often aware of them stopping whatever they're doing and just staring as I
> zip through a particularly tricky intersection, mixing it up with the local SUV population. (A
> secondary amazement, when I see the BMX kiddies, is that their parents let them get smashed up
> doing tricks on the bike, but are terrified of letting them ride the mile or so to the store or
> the park or the library)

As you've pointed out in your point about BMX kiddes, teenagers often feel as though they're
invincible or tune out what danger they're in. I only have one friend that doesn't ride due to a
feeling of danger of riding in the streets. Personally, I get a rush from riding along with cars,
probably exactly _because_ it's dangerous. :D
--
Alexander Kahn

[email protected] wrote in message news:

> As you've pointed out in your point about BMX kiddes, teenagers often feel as though they're
> invincible or tune out what danger they're in. I only have one friend that doesn't ride due to a
> feeling of danger of riding in the streets. Personally, I get a rush from riding along with cars,
> probably exactly _because_ it's dangerous. :D

I dig that. actually we're cheating. It feels dangerous, but it really isn't...it's a big rush
though. If surfing is anything like this, I'd take that up too.

But if the BMX kiddies are going to do stupid bike tricks (and I'm not even going to talk about
their over-funded MTB counterparts, the jackass downhillers) and wear scars proudly, why not scare
the hell out of everybody and actually ride for transport?

-Luigi don't wait for critical mass. Do something revolutionary every day.

in article BA6DCC42.A40%[email protected], Alan Jeddeloh at

> Or maybe not. My wife is one of them. She has tried riding on the road, but it just gives her the
> willies. And it would just take one car buzzing her too close to terrify her completely. Or
> perhaps that is what happened and she didn't tell me about it. I never discuss stuff that may have
> happened when I've ridden with her. She would worry herself sick.

Following up on myself---

If one has such a maternal spousal unit, one should caution companions who are cyclists *not* to
discuss their latest hair-raising close calls when dining out together.

They should not describe a particular section of road that you let them on as "an E-ticket ride*."

They should not describe a section of your regular commute as "a road I'll never take," because it
is "windy, twisty and narrow" with "traffic that doesn't respect you and whizzes by you without safe
room to pass."

:)
--
Alan Jeddeloh "ajeddelo at easystreet dot com" The person who said "The only things certain in life
are death and taxes" didn't do the laundry in a family with children!

* Originally, Disneyland charged by the ride, with different prices on the tickets. A "E-ticket" was
the most expensive (and scariest).