What am I doing wrong? (Pedalling while standing up)

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Burning_Ranger, Aug 7, 2004.

  1. I can pedal for hours while sitting down no problem. But when I try to pedal
    while standing up I get pain in my legs (lactic acid build up) very very
    quickly, on hills I can only pedal standing up for a few seconds before the
    lactic acid pain is too much. I am almost always spinning (or trying to
    spin) and am using low gears.

    Is there some specific technique to pedalling while standing up?

    --

    Burning_Ranger

    To email: [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    Burning_Ranger wrote:

    > Is there some specific technique to pedalling while standing up?

    Yes. Don't do it for too long! Use it for quick bursts of accelleration or a
    brief chance to change postion.

  3. Burning_Ranger wrote:

    > I can pedal for hours while sitting down no problem. But when I try to pedal
    > while standing up I get pain in my legs (lactic acid build up) very very
    > quickly, on hills I can only pedal standing up for a few seconds before the
    > lactic acid pain is too much. I am almost always spinning (or trying to
    > spin) and am using low gears.

    Are you using toe clips or clipless pedals?

  4. drybone

    drybone New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2004
    BR,
    Just a point of clarification- if it's lactic acid build up, your technique might be fine and it's just a matter of training. As you noted you should rule-out inappropriate gearing on your climbs. Are you grinding in your big ring or are you spinning most of the time? I think you said you spin sitting down on most of your climbs. Also, be aware of the type of grades, length, etc and when you are noticing the "lactic acid" build-up. With a little more info maybe some of us can offer you some sound advice.
    Let me know a bit more

    Take care- Jerry

  5. > Is there some specific technique to pedalling while standing up?

    A mountain biker once told me that it takes up to 4 times as much power to
    cycle standing up. The best idea is to sit down as much as possible and
    save the standing for small sprints.

  6. gemarc

    gemarc New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2004
    Don't know if you are a member of a gym but I joined a year ago and use the cross-trainer and have found it has increased the time I spend cycling out of the saddle massively

  7. Simonb wrote:
    > Burning_Ranger wrote:
    >
    >> Is there some specific technique to pedalling while standing up?

    > Yes. Don't do it for too long! Use it for quick bursts of
    > accelleration or a brief chance to change postion.

    Ta very much. At least I know now I'm not as unfit as I thought I was.

    --

    Burning_Ranger

    To email: [email protected]

  8. Zog The Undeniable wrote:
    > Burning_Ranger wrote:
    >
    >> I can pedal for hours while sitting down no problem. But when I try
    >> to pedal while standing up I get pain in my legs (lactic acid build
    >> up) very very quickly, on hills I can only pedal standing up for a
    >> few seconds before the lactic acid pain is too much. I am almost
    >> always spinning (or trying to spin) and am using low gears.

    > Are you using toe clips or clipless pedals?

    Platforms so far. Will be going clipless in a few months.

    --

    Burning_Ranger

    To email: [email protected]

  9. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Burning_Ranger <[email protected]> wrote:
    : Is there some specific technique to pedalling while standing up?

    Use a bigger gear.

    Assuming a constant gradient, change up one or maybe two gears (only
    one one a MTB-type wide-range block) when you stand up.

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
    - Paulina Borsook

  10. [email protected] schreef ...
    > Burning_Ranger <[email protected]> wrote:
    > : Is there some specific technique to pedalling while standing up?
    >
    > Use a bigger gear.
    >
    > Assuming a constant gradient, change up one or maybe two gears (only
    > one one a MTB-type wide-range block) when you stand up.

    This is the one. When you stand, it's hard to keep up a low 'spinning'
    gear. Your body weight pushes down on the pedals and you need to lift
    that weight again on every pedal cycle.

    I give Spinning classes which has a special drill (cycle while standing
    up and with a low 'gear' for short periods) to practice this. I almost
    always count down from 16 to 1 by which time most people have slightly
    'burning' legs......

    --
    Regards,
    Marten

  11. Callas

    Callas Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Burning_Ranger <[email protected]> wrote:
    > : Is there some specific technique to pedalling while standing up?
    >
    > Use a bigger gear.
    >
    > Assuming a constant gradient, change up one or maybe two gears (only
    > one one a MTB-type wide-range block) when you stand up.

    Seconded. I find I simply cannot spin as quickly when standing, it's
    mechanically difficult, and trying to spin fast while standing is very
    demanding. You've got to get the right gear when standing and climbing;
    enough to let you give a good push, not so much you start to drag.

    --
    Callas

  12. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    Burning_Ranger wrote:
    > Simonb wrote:
    >> Burning_Ranger wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is there some specific technique to pedalling while standing up?

    >> Yes. Don't do it for too long! Use it for quick bursts of
    >> accelleration or a brief chance to change postion.

    > Ta very much. At least I know now I'm not as unfit as I thought I was.

    I also ride out of the saddle for very long periods, very slowly on long,
    very steep hills. I find this quite comfortable, in fact.

  13. Burning_Ranger wrote:

    > Platforms so far. Will be going clipless in a few months.

    Then clipless will really improve your climbing. You nearly get twice
    the leg power (if your lungs can handle it!)