What am I getting out of this schedule?

Mish

Feb 28, 2004
Lately I have limited time to ride/train. I get 2 rides a week and do 35 miles in basically 2 sets. 17.5 miles nearly as hard as I can go, take bathroom break, eat gel or something, and do the same thing back home.
I may get a 50 mile ride in every 2 weeks.
I have 5 centuries that finish at the tops of NC's mountains this summer. Mitchell is included with Grandfather and others.
If this is all I do, what am I actually gaining? and are these mountaintop finishes gonna kill me?

I can't imagine seeing measurable improvement on two days a week. I've been in a rut lately on 3 days a week and am now making an attempt at 4 days per week to get out of it.

wiredued said:
I can't imagine seeing measurable improvement on two days a week. I've been in a rut lately on 3 days a week and am now making an attempt at 4 days per week to get out of it.

Not what I wanted to hear. I was hoping that I was becoming better at 17.5 mile TT's. I may not even be maintaining the fitness I had a few weeks ago. I guess it's back to the 5:30am rides.

Mish said:
Not what I wanted to hear. I was hoping that I was becoming better at 17.5 mile TT's. I may not even be maintaining the fitness I had a few weeks ago. I guess it's back to the 5:30am rides.
2 rides a week may or may not maintain fitness, but I wouldn't be willing to risk your progress on the latter. 3/wk minimum for maintenance, 4+ for progress is a good rule of thumb.

As usual, depends on what you want to achieve. We do not know what your present fitness levels are, and if, in terms of your summer centuries (metric or standard?) you simply intend to finish them, of finish them well!

One thing is simply riding the distance and 'making it'. Riding the distance well, enjoying yourself throughout and attempting to make a good time or a personal best will require more than two rides per week and an occasional 50 mile ride every so often.

I would agree that you are back to more regular rides!

Powerful Pete said:
As usual, depends on what you want to achieve. We do not know what your present fitness levels are, and if, in terms of your summer centuries (metric or standard?) you simply intend to finish them, of finish them well!

One thing is simply riding the distance and 'making it'. Riding the distance well, enjoying yourself throughout and attempting to make a good time or a personal best will require more than two rides per week and an occasional 50 mile ride every so often.

I would agree that you are back to more regular rides!

My current fitness level is such that a century would be enjoyable at a 17+ pace on rolling hills. I want to finish the centuries at the tops of NC mountains with relative ease but I am not expecting nor going for a PB. If I can ride the 35 miles 2 days a week and get one more day with 50 or 60 miles does it make sense to ride the 35 miles like a TT and do hill intervals on the 50 mile day?