What an I missing here? What's so special

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mulligan Al, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Mulligan Al

Mulligan Al New Member

2. snaps10

snaps10 New Member

3. dgregory57

dgregory57 New Member

Only the components are NOS... the frame has been repainted... and apparently nicely. It is nice, but I see it in a diffferent ballpark than if the whole bike were NOS.

Personally, with $3000+ I would rather buy 10 nice vintage bikes than one exceptional vintage bike, but I can understand the fascination! :)

4. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

It's not made in China!

5. tyler1212

tyler1212 New Member

You must not like classic cars either, Al.

6. Mulligan Al

Mulligan Al New Member

Do you think someone would buy this to ride or to just collect? How do you think it would ride compared to a bike of equal quality being produced today?

7. Mulligan Al

Mulligan Al New Member

Love classic cars, especially a 1959 Corvette.
    [​IMG]
    I also love classic Harley Davidson motorcycles, shovelheads, knuckleheads, panheads.

I also collect vintage trumpets.

1953 Olds Recording
    1955 Olds Ambassador Cornet
    1963 Burbank Benge
    1977 LA Benge
    1981 Yamaha Cornet
    2000 Schilke

I guess I just didn't understand the attraction to buying something (I thought) one wouldn't want to ride.

8. supergrill

supergrill New Member

I often think the same thing regarding my ex-wife! :p

9. hd reynolds

hd reynolds New Member

The Nuovo Record parts look pristine and the Martano tub rims are rare. I think the asking price is fair and probably to some afficionatics even cheap.

I wonder how much a 25+ year old dura-ace front/rear der. set, crankset and caliper set is worth? I saw a new old boxed set from a shop owner in an obscure part of chinatown who now sells chinese medicine. I am tempted to make him an offer.

10. janiejones

janiejones New Member

11. Insight Driver

Insight Driver New Member

My wanted me to come to bed and she was really wanting me, but that bike was more of a draw. What a beautiful machine. It's a time machine is what it is. You have to be older to appreciate it, and with a love of craftsmanship.

12. philso

philso New Member

"those pics would make a nice calendar" he said, wiping the drool away with the back of his hand. ;)

13. Eastway82

Eastway82 New Member

Quite a bit... I recently sold a new, boxed 1976 Dura Ace chainset on Ebay for 175USD, and a used 1979 one for 102 USD. There are Japanese collectors who will pay GOOD money for NOS early Dura Ace gear (you can tell from the date code what year they are).

And yeah, I can see what's special about that bike! I've just finished collecting all the parts to rebuild my 1981 531 Shorter Rochford to the exact spec I raced it in 1982/3 – all new old stock parts. Huret Super Success rear/Jubilee front gears and Jubilee levers, Campag Gran Sport cranks (with Super Record rings), headset and seat post, Record BB, Record Pista black cage track pedals, Christophe clips and Binda Extra straps, Cinelli 1A stem (I really want a 1R in 80-90mm but can't find one), Concor beige saddle, Universal 68 brakes, Dia Compe levers, Regina Oro chain, Suntour Ultra 6 13-18 freewheel, Cinelli 65 Criterium bars, Record 28s hubs, Durex grey rims...
    The frame's away at Mercian in the UK being straightened/enamelled, and when I get it back and build it, I'm going to take loads of pictures - then I'm going to ride it. It'll be interesting to see how it compares to my alloy/carbon 10s Centaur-equipped race bike.

14. snaps10

snaps10 New Member

actually, they are a surprisingly nice ride. ive got a vintage merckx with full panto'd record that was my dads bike. when he rode it he had it built with full c record, but that got sold and the super record stuff put back on. if i get a chance ill put up some pics. it hasnt been off the rack in probably 10 years but this thanksgiving ill be riding it in a retro ride. sporting my leather helmet, "insulated" merckx water bottle, old school leather shoes, wool jersey, and bright yellow cloth feedbag.

imo, the vintage dura ace stuff is a little nicer to ride with, but oh the sex appeal of the vintage campy.

15. John M

John M New Member

I predict that it is going to ride surprisingly nice compared to the new bike. I bet that you will be impressed by the springyness of steel frame and how comfortable it is over the rough spots. Yes, it will be heavy on the hills and the shifting won't be up to current Ergo standards.

Last year I resurrected a 1983 Trek full 531 road frame, making it into my commuter bike. It rides beautifully. After riding a Kestrel for the past several years, I had somewhat forgotten how nice a ride steel is.