What are "ABS type Brass Nipples?"

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Ken, Nov 28, 2003.

  1. Ken

    Ken Guest

    On my friend's Mavic Cosmos rear wheel the spoke nipple stripped and he needs to find replacements.
    I think the spokes are 14g. I would think that DT 14g brass nipples would work but the LBS boss says
    they're different. Are the Mavic "ABS type Brass Nipples" the only nipples that can be used on this
    wheel? Or are their alternatives? Can anyone explain what are "ABS type Brass Nipple?"

    Thanks for your time, Kenny Lee

    Tags:

  2. Could it be American Bicycle Standard?

    --
    Lewis.

    *******************************

    "Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On my friend's Mavic Cosmos rear wheel the spoke nipple stripped and he needs to find
    > replacements. I think the spokes are 14g. I would think that DT 14g brass nipples would work but
    > the LBS boss says they're different. Are the Mavic "ABS type Brass Nipples" the only nipples that
    > can be used on this wheel? Or are their alternatives? Can anyone explain what are "ABS type Brass
    > Nipple?"
    >
    > Thanks for your time, Kenny Lee

  3. Dianne_1234

    Dianne_1234 Guest

    On 28 Nov 2003 18:31:07 -0800, [email protected] (Ken) wrote:

    >On my friend's Mavic Cosmos rear wheel the spoke nipple stripped and he needs to find replacements.
    >I think the spokes are 14g. I would think that DT 14g brass nipples would work but the LBS boss
    >says they're different. Are the Mavic "ABS type Brass Nipples" the only nipples that can be used on
    >this wheel? Or are their alternatives? Can anyone explain what are "ABS type Brass Nipple?"
    >
    >Thanks for your time, Kenny Lee

    Is that a French acronym for the kind of nipple made with a nylon locking ring pressed
    into the head?

  4. Carl Fogel

    Carl Fogel Guest

    [email protected] (Ken) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > On my friend's Mavic Cosmos rear wheel the spoke nipple stripped and he needs to find
    > replacements. I think the spokes are 14g. I would think that DT 14g brass nipples would work but
    > the LBS boss says they're different. Are the Mavic "ABS type Brass Nipples" the only nipples that
    > can be used on this wheel? Or are their alternatives? Can anyone explain what are "ABS type Brass
    > Nipple?"
    >
    > Thanks for your time, Kenny Lee

    Dear Kenny,

    Whenever I asked about acronyms here, I was always referred to

    http://www.acronymfinder.com

    It's amusing, if nothing else. American Bicycle Standard doesn't appear.

    I'm a little worried by aviation's "Automatic Breaking System," but it may be either a bad typo or
    else a design that makes damned sure that a wing-mounted engine is either completely attached to the
    wing in flight or else completely detached (and not dangling) that a friend once mentioned just
    because he knows that I'm afraid of heights.

    Possibly the brass nipples have been approved by the American Board of

    Enjoy the list below.

    Carl Fogel

    ABS Antilock Braking System ABS Able-Bodied Seaman ABS Absent ABS Absolute ABS Absolute Time Code
    ABS Abstract ABS Abu Simbel, Egypt - Abu Simbel (Airport Code) ABS Acoustic Backscatter System ABS
    Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene ABS Activation Binding Site (genetics) ABS Active Battle System
    (video game design) ABS Adams-Bashforth Scheme ABS Adult Basic Skills ABS Advanced Battle
    Simulations ABS Advanced Brake System ABS Affordable Business Structure ABS Agent-Based Simulation
    ABS Agile Beam System ABS Air Base Security ABS Air Base Simulator ABS Air Base Squadron ABS Air
    Base Survivability ABS Air Base Systems ABS Air Brake Switch ABS Airbrushed Steel (construction) ABS
    Alcohol Breath Screening ABS Alkyl Benzene Sulfonate ABS Alternate Bit Synchronization ABS
    Alternative Billing Service ABS Amended Budget Submission ABS American Back Society ABS American
    Bible Society ABS American Bladesmith Society

    ABS American Board of Surgery ABS American Brachytherapy Society ABS American Breeders Services ABS
    American Budgerigar Society ABS American Bureau of Shipping ABS Amman Baccalaureate School ABS
    Amphetamine-Based Stimulants ABS Anchor Bolt Stabilizer ABS Animal Behavior Society ABS
    Anti-Blockier-System ABS Antiblockiersystem (German: anti-skid brake system) ABS Anti-Blocking
    System ABS Aperture Blind Subassembly ABS Apple Business Systems ABS Arc Bond Sputter ABS Army
    Broadcasting Service ABS As-Built Specification ABS Assault Ballistic Rocket System ABS Asset-Backed
    Security ABS Assisted Breaking System (aviation) ABS Association of Broadcasting Staff ABS
    Association of Business Schools ABS Atomic Beam Scattering ABS Australian Bureau of Statistics ABS
    Automated Balancing System ABS Automated Billing System ABS Automated Bond System ABS Automated
    Bridge System ABS Automated Briefing System ABS Automated Brokerage Service ABS Automated Brokerage
    System ABS Automatic Backup System (CMS Peripherals, Inc.) ABS Automatic Block Signal ABS Automatic
    Breaking System (aviation) ABS Average Busy Stream ABS Axial Bay Simulator

  5. Carl Fogel

    Carl Fogel Guest

    dianne_1234 <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > On 28 Nov 2003 18:31:07 -0800, [email protected] (Ken) wrote:
    >
    > >On my friend's Mavic Cosmos rear wheel the spoke nipple stripped and he needs to find
    > >replacements. I think the spokes are 14g. I would think that DT 14g brass nipples would work but
    > >the LBS boss says they're different. Are the Mavic "ABS type Brass Nipples" the only nipples that
    > >can be used on this wheel? Or are their alternatives? Can anyone explain what are "ABS type Brass
    > >Nipple?"
    > >
    > >Thanks for your time, Kenny Lee
    >
    > Is that a French acronym for the kind of nipple made with a nylon locking ring pressed into
    > the head?

    Dear Dianne,

    The acronym remains a mystery, but you have it right:

    ABS nipples are a patented design. ABS nipples are self locking nipples that have a piece of nylon
    inserted in the end of the nipple. They are like a Nyloc k nut - these will not come loose and are
    also good for heavier riders who regularly destroy wheels. They are sold separately in 13mm and
    16mm lengths. (When calculating spoke lengths add an extra millimetre so that the nylock grips the
    end of the spoke.)

    http://www.hillbrick.com.au/brands/brands_alpina.html

    Carl Fogel

  6. Ken

    Ken Guest

    [email protected] (Carl Fogel) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (Ken) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > On my friend's Mavic Cosmos rear wheel the spoke nipple stripped and he needs to find
    > > replacements. I think the spokes are 14g. I would think that DT 14g brass nipples would work but
    > > the LBS boss says they're different. Are the Mavic "ABS type Brass Nipples" the only nipples
    > > that can be used on this wheel? Or are their alternatives? Can anyone explain what are "ABS type
    > > Brass Nipple?"
    > >
    > > Thanks for your time, Kenny Lee
    >
    > Dear Kenny,
    >
    > Whenever I asked about acronyms here, I was always referred to
    >
    > http://www.acronymfinder.com

    It turns out that when my friend went to have a nipple replaced at the LBS the LBS boss didn't use a
    washer to prevent the nipple head from slipping through the rim eyelet of the Mavic Cosmos rear
    wheel(lame I know). I don't know why Mavic Cosmos rims have eyelets larger that the nipple head. As
    far as what does "ABS type nipples" are concerned, I don't want or need to know anymore. My own
    wheels are all standard off the shelf stuff. No more marketing hyped expensive jive for me anymore.
    Leared the hard way.

    Kenny Lee

  7. Carl Fogel

    Carl Fogel Guest

    dianne_1234 <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > On 28 Nov 2003 18:31:07 -0800, [email protected] (Ken) wrote:
    >
    > >On my friend's Mavic Cosmos rear wheel the spoke nipple stripped and he needs to find
    > >replacements. I think the spokes are 14g. I would think that DT 14g brass nipples would work but
    > >the LBS boss says they're different. Are the Mavic "ABS type Brass Nipples" the only nipples that
    > >can be used on this wheel? Or are their alternatives? Can anyone explain what are "ABS type Brass
    > >Nipple?"
    > >
    > >Thanks for your time, Kenny Lee
    >
    > Is that a French acronym for the kind of nipple made with a nylon locking ring pressed into
    > the head?

    Dear Dianne,

    A Japanese acronym web site raises the possibility that ABS may refer to the plastic resin's
    ingredients:

    acrylonitrile butadiene styrene resin

    Still looking,

    Carl Fogel

  8. Dianne_1234

    Dianne_1234 Guest

    On 30 Nov 2003 19:48:34 -0800, [email protected] (Carl Fogel) wrote:

    >dianne_1234 <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >> On 28 Nov 2003 18:31:07 -0800, [email protected] (Ken) wrote:
    >>
    >> >On my friend's Mavic Cosmos rear wheel the spoke nipple stripped and he needs to find
    >> >replacements. I think the spokes are 14g. I would think that DT 14g brass nipples would work but
    >> >the LBS boss says they're different. Are the Mavic "ABS type Brass Nipples" the only nipples
    >> >that can be used on this wheel? Or are their alternatives? Can anyone explain what are "ABS type
    >> >Brass Nipple?"
    >> >
    >> >Thanks for your time, Kenny Lee
    >>
    >> Is that a French acronym for the kind of nipple made with a nylon locking ring pressed into
    >> the head?
    >
    >Dear Dianne,
    >
    >A Japanese acronym web site raises the possibility that ABS may refer to the plastic resin's
    >ingredients:
    >
    > acrylonitrile butadiene styrene resin
    >
    >Still looking,
    >
    >Carl Fogel

    Try http://www.alpinaraggi.it/, English, Window, ABS.

    "NIPPLES A.B.S. The A.B.S. (Alpina Block System) nipple can eliminate wheel bending and failure
    caused by loose spokes. The
    A.B.S. nipple eliminates the use of messy thread glues by using a perforated nylon ball in the
    nipple head. The assembly is identical to the traditional wheel building method but prevents
    the nipple from vibrating loose by creating friction between the nylon ball and spokes.
    Spokes tensioning truing and straightening can be done usual without having to reapply thread
    glues. Wheels can even be trued at any time without risk of spoke nipples vibrating loose
    during extreme stress or when used on rough roads. Each A.B.S. nipples is thoroughly checked
    for manufacturing accuracy by a unique artificial viewing machine. Brass or aluminum 2030
    A.B.S. nipples are available in 1,8mm and 2,0mm gauge in 13,5mm and 16,00mm lengths."

  9. Carl Fogel

    Carl Fogel Guest

    dianne_1234 <[email protected]om> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > On 30 Nov 2003 19:48:34 -0800, [email protected] (Carl Fogel) wrote:
    >
    > >dianne_1234 <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:<[email protected]>...

    > >> Is that a French acronym for the kind of nipple made with a nylon locking ring pressed into the
    > >> head?
    > >
    > >Dear Dianne,
    > >
    > >A Japanese acronym web site raises the possibility that ABS may refer to the plastic resin's
    > >ingredients:
    > >
    > > acrylonitrile butadiene styrene resin
    > >
    > >Still looking,
    > >
    > >Carl Fogel
    >
    > Try http://www.alpinaraggi.it/, English, Window, ABS.
    >
    > "NIPPLES A.B.S. The A.B.S. (Alpina Block System) nipple can eliminate wheel bending and failure
    > caused by loose spokes. The
    > A.B.S. nipple eliminates the use of messy thread glues by using a perforated nylon ball in the
    > nipple head. The assembly is identical to the traditional wheel building method but
    > prevents the nipple from vibrating loose by creating friction between the nylon ball and
    > spokes. Spokes tensioning truing and straightening can be done usual without having to
    > reapply thread glues. Wheels can even be trued at any time without risk of spoke nipples
    > vibrating loose during extreme stress or when used on rough roads. Each A.B.S. nipples is
    > thoroughly checked for manufacturing accuracy by a unique artificial viewing machine. Brass
    > or aluminum 2030 A.B.S. nipples are available in 1,8mm and 2,0mm gauge in 13,5mm and
    > 16,00mm lengths."

    Dear Dianne,

    Another helpful, cheerful, accurate reply.

    Thanks for not pointing out that I was looking on the wrong side of the world.

    Carl Fogel