What Are Hybrid bikes?

animesh

Jul 31, 2010
[FONT=&quot]I've been hearing about Hybrid bikes but cudn't actually make out what is it... are cannondale bikes one of them...Seriously confusing..somebody tell me! [/FONT]

Generally a hybrid bike is a cross between a MTB style and a road style bike. Normally they have the larger wheels of a road bike (700's) but flat handle bars which allow you to sit up. Every bike company makes a version of the hybrid style but doesn't always call it a hybrid. Cannondale makes the Badboy under its Urban bikes section.

They are supposed to be a good mix of styles. If you are planning on casual rides and don't want to be limited to road or light trail only then it is a good option.

If you to ride technical off road or keep up with fast groups then it is a bad choice.

animesh said:
[FONT=&quot]I've been hearing about Hybrid bikes but cudn't actually make out what is it... are cannondale bikes one of them...Seriously confusing..somebody tell me! [/FONT]

A hybrid bike is one that blends the best characteristics of both road and mountain bikes into a bike that is sturdy, comfortable and fast, and ideal for riding on streets and bike paths...You can have a look at some road bikes as well as a Hybrid bike which will give you more clarification...Road bike(Cannondale CAAD8..Cannondale SIX Carbon etc) & Hybird(Bianchi Camaleonte 2 (Disc..Schwinn Sporterra Comp etc)...

Thank you for the info and suggestions. Now if I want to actually buy one of these Hybrids which one would be a good choice. I've googled some of those like Schwinn Sporterra Comp...Bianchi Camaleonte 3 (Tiagra) But couldn't actually get the price for these.

A hybrid bicycle is basically a bicycle that has slightly thicker, treaded tires unlike that of a street bike, flat handlebars, and is made for easy dirt path riding, and maybe a little bit of gravel and bumpy areas.

Hybrid bikes really aren't that great at anything, as there are a lot of compromises made at both ends of the spectrum between road and street styles, however, they are geared more for street use than offroad use.

I would disagree that they aren't great at anything. I think they make perfect city bikes. You get the larger fast wheels of a road bike, though slightly wider for a more comfortable ride. And they allow you to sit upright more, saving your back and making you more visible.

@animesh: Are you buying one for a local store or from the internet?

TKOS said:
I would disagree that they aren't great at anything. I think they make perfect city bikes. You get the larger fast wheels of a road bike, though slightly wider for a more comfortable ride. And they allow you to sit upright more, saving your back and making you more visible.

I'm speaking in regards to speed/performance or mountain biking.

GT Fanatic said:
I'm speaking in regards to speed/performance or mountain biking.

Yes, though again, in a city setting a decent hybrid shouldn't slow you down much if at all, what with traffic and lights. But on the open road or a tricky dirt path, or sure.

TKOS said:
Yes, though again, in a city setting a decent hybrid shouldn't slow you down much if at all, what with traffic and lights. But on the open road or a tricky dirt path, or sure.

No, a hybrid isn't going to slow you down in an urban environment, but in no way are they a jack of all trades.

TKOS said:
Yes, though again, in a city setting a decent hybrid shouldn't slow you down much if at all, what with traffic and lights.

Hybrid bikes are perfectly suited for a significant portion of the cycling population. They don't have to be competent at off-roading or at speeding along in a pack, as that's not what they're built for.

alienator said:
Hybrid bikes are perfectly suited for a significant portion of the cycling population. They don't have to be competent at off-roading or at speeding along in a pack, as that's not what they're built for.

Wow, really? Who woulda thunk... :rolleyes:

TKOS said:

Exactly, they are a great choice for cycling in an urban enviroment.

TKOS said:

I guess you are right. They make perfect city bikes. Dunnoh where to buy from serously! Well somebody suggested me this website [FONT=&quot]trackandtrail[/FONT] !! "http://tinyurl.com/2d7p5ff" where I could actually see some Hybird bikes with the price mentioned as well. Will buy one soon.

animesh said:
I guess you are right. They make perfect city bikes. Dunnoh where to buy from serously! Well somebody suggested me this website [FONT=&quot]trackandtrail[/FONT] !! where I could actually see some Hybird bikes with the price mentioned as well. Will buy one soon.

Yeah, Track and Trail has been doing some heavy duty spamming. I suggest you make the rounds of you local bike shops to find a hybrid that fits your needs and tastes. Going about things that way allows you to get test rides on interesting bikes, something that's next to impossible to accomplish with a website.