What are people using for toolboxes?

Jon Bond

Guest
Just curious. Right now I'm just using the standard plastic toolbox with one tray that pulls out,
and a couple tiny little compartments on top that don't really do too much. Ideally, I'd keep all my
tools on a wall, with nice little places for all of them. However, thats kinda hard in a dorm room,
so working out of a box it is.

The yellow box I'm using now just has a tendency to get all jumbled, and I have to dig through for
parts. Ideally, I'd have something with lotsa drawers, like the top part of a car mechanic's rolling
tool chest, but preferably something under 30 bucks.

Its gotta be big enough to store big tools (pedal wrench, chainwhip, big ass adjustable), maybe some
spare parts (stems, seatposts, cranksets, derailleurs and such - I've got a bunch of old parts
now!), and preferably something to handle smaller items (cassette tool, bb tools, hex wrenches,
etc.). And it'd be nice if it had enough compartments I could store my lubes and greases AWAY from
the tools - its never fun to find out my T9 or white lightning was leaking and my tools are all
sticky and nasty.

I looked around the big orange box today, and saw one that might do, but it looked like it was
pretty crappily constructed, so I passed. Anybody have suggestions? Besides make it myself, I'm
already probably making some shelves and probably some other stuff, and I've got that captain thing
going.. oh yeah, and something about classes, too - so I really don't have time to build something
as intricate as a multi-drawered toolbox. Thanks!

Jon Bond

"Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Just curious. Right now I'm just using the standard plastic toolbox with one tray that pulls out,
> and a couple tiny little compartments on top that don't really do too much.

That sounds just like my box. I will need a bigger box, because I need more tools. I like to bring
them all with me on road trips, and carry a small seat pouch for repairs on the trail.

Jon Bond wrote:
> Just curious. Right now I'm just using the standard plastic toolbox with one tray that pulls out,
> and a couple tiny little compartments on top that don't really do too much. Ideally, I'd keep all
> my tools on a wall, with nice little places for all of them. However, thats kinda hard in a dorm
> room, so working out of a box it is.
>
> The yellow box I'm using now just has a tendency to get all jumbled, and I have to dig through for
> parts. Ideally, I'd have something with lotsa drawers, like the top part of a car mechanic's
> rolling tool chest, but preferably something under 30 bucks.
>
> Its gotta be big enough to store big tools (pedal wrench, chainwhip, big ass adjustable), maybe
> some spare parts (stems, seatposts, cranksets, derailleurs and such - I've got a bunch of old
> parts now!), and preferably something to handle smaller items (cassette tool, bb tools, hex
> wrenches, etc.). And it'd be nice if it had enough compartments I could store my lubes and greases
> AWAY from the tools - its never fun to find out my T9 or white lightning was leaking and my tools
> are all sticky and nasty.
>
> I looked around the big orange box today, and saw one that might do, but it looked like it was
> pretty crappily constructed, so I passed. Anybody have suggestions? Besides make it myself, I'm
> already probably making some shelves and probably some other stuff, and I've got that captain
> thing going.. oh yeah, and something about classes, too - so I really don't have time to build
> something as intricate as a multi-drawered toolbox. Thanks!
>
> Jon Bond

I'm a tool hound. I have 5 toolboxes. One is just for bicycle specific tools. It's a craftsman 3
drawer -- nice and big. A present from the kids a few years back. (The rest are a mix of the type
that you're talking about for my "carry around kits of most used tools", and craftsman multidrawer
acquired over the years, including one really nice one that my brother found scuba diving on the
bottoms of a lake!).

Sears also sells these organizers that are basically trays with different sized pockets that're
great for organizing parts if you don't have to move the toolbox in such a way that might dump them.
I have one of those in the top to organize my supply of small parts.

David

"Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| Just curious. Right now I'm just using the standard plastic toolbox with one tray that pulls out,
| and a couple tiny little compartments on top that don't really do too much. Ideally, I'd keep all
| my tools on a wall, with nice little places for all of them. However, thats kinda hard in a dorm
| room, so working out of a box it is.
|
| The yellow box I'm using now just has a tendency to get all jumbled, and I have to dig through for
| parts. Ideally, I'd have something with lotsa drawers, like the top part of a car mechanic's
| rolling tool chest, but preferably something under 30 bucks.
|
| Its gotta be big enough to store big tools (pedal wrench, chainwhip, big
ass
| adjustable), maybe some spare parts (stems, seatposts, cranksets, derailleurs and such - I've got
| a bunch of old parts now!), and preferably something to handle smaller items (cassette tool, bb
| tools, hex wrenches, etc.). And it'd be nice if it had enough compartments I could store my lubes
| and greases AWAY from the tools - its never fun to find out my T9 or white lightning was leaking
| and my tools are all sticky and nasty.
|
| I looked around the big orange box today, and saw one that might do, but
it
| looked like it was pretty crappily constructed, so I passed. Anybody have suggestions? Besides
| make it myself, I'm already probably making some shelves and probably some other stuff, and I've
| got that captain thing going.. oh yeah, and something about classes, too - so I really don't
have
| time to build something as intricate as a multi-drawered toolbox. Thanks!

I use two Sears Craftsman toolboxes. Has a top tray and three locking drawers. One is slightly
longer than the other. The longer one I keep parts and such in, the other, tools. It's actually a
mix of standard home tools, car tools and bike tools. I haven't kept the mix up since I've worked in
a shop so much I don't need as many specialty tools.

---
http://intergalax.com

Release Date: 8/12/2003

David Kunz wrote:
> Jon Bond wrote:
>> Just curious.
> It's a craftsman 3 drawer -- nice and big.

I use the same box.. 3 drawers and a nice deep top compartment under the lid. Holds everything I
could ever need, and then some. Plus, it's yellow.

Popular Mechanics was sold in Walmart. It has 3 drawers and a top tray that are all lockable with
one padlock. And does it carry alot YES. Chainwhip,pedalwrench,
shockets,wrenches,srewdrivers,pipecutter, mic, cal,ect.

Fire up MTB 03

"Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Just curious. Right now I'm just using the standard plastic toolbox with one tray that pulls out,
> and a couple tiny little compartments on top that don't really do too much. Ideally, I'd keep all
> my tools on a wall, with nice little places for all of them. However, thats kinda hard in a dorm
> room, so working out of a box it is.

I use a similar box made by Rubbermaid with two stacking trays inside. Small tools fall down through
the tray handles into the bottom of the box and I have the same problem with finding stuff. So I've
been looking too. Here's what I've found so far.

A buddy of mine has one of these.

http://www.mytoolstore.com/klein/54405.html

Husky makes a version of this that is about half the price. It's available at Home Depot.

Dammit! This is discontinued but it'd be perfect for your needs

http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id=898583232441&d=single&c=Tools&sc=To
ol%20Cases&tc=&item_id=TR-PRO

Hang it on the wall or roll it up and take it with you. Maybe you could find something like it.

Mike

I've got one of those rolling craftsman tool carts that I try to reorganize every few years. In the
meantime, I find a tool bag very handy to hold a jumble of stuff I commonly use. I got 2-fer pretty
cheap at Home Depot. Cordura nylon, wire reinforced mouth, inside and outside pockets, etc. Easy to
keep in the house or throw in the car. It doesn't look exactly like this:

http://militaryclothing.com/IBS/SimpleCat/Product/asp/product-id/194081.html

I suppose a tool roll would work if you wanted to be more organized:

http://www.toolshopdirect.co.uk/ishop/982/shopscr785.html

"Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Just curious. Right now I'm just using the standard plastic toolbox with one tray that pulls out,
> and a couple tiny little compartments on top that don't really do too much. Ideally, I'd keep all
> my tools on a wall, with nice little places for all of them. However, thats kinda hard in a dorm
> room, so working out of a box it is.
>
> The yellow box I'm using now just has a tendency to get all jumbled, and I have to dig through for
> parts. Ideally, I'd have something with lotsa drawers, like the top part of a car mechanic's
> rolling tool chest, but preferably something under 30 bucks.
>
> Its gotta be big enough to store big tools (pedal wrench, chainwhip, big
ass
> adjustable), maybe some spare parts (stems, seatposts, cranksets, derailleurs and such - I've got
> a bunch of old parts now!), and preferably something to handle smaller items (cassette tool, bb
> tools, hex wrenches, etc.). And it'd be nice if it had enough compartments I could store my lubes
> and greases AWAY from the tools - its never fun to find out my T9 or white lightning was leaking
> and my tools are all sticky and nasty.
>
> I looked around the big orange box today, and saw one that might do, but
it
> looked like it was pretty crappily constructed, so I passed. Anybody have suggestions? Besides
> make it myself, I'm already probably making some shelves and probably some other stuff, and I've
> got that captain thing going.. oh yeah, and something about classes, too - so I really don't
have
> time to build something as intricate as a multi-drawered toolbox. Thanks!
>
> Jon Bond

Try looking for a tackle box. Sometimes they are cheaper.

~CG

"Cinder Girl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Just curious. Right now I'm just using the standard plastic toolbox
with
> > one tray that pulls out, and a couple tiny little compartments on top
that
> > don't really do too much. Ideally, I'd keep all my tools on a wall,
with
> > nice little places for all of them. However, thats kinda hard in a dorm room, so working out of
> > a box it is.
> >
> > The yellow box I'm using now just has a tendency to get all jumbled, and
> > have to dig through for parts. Ideally, I'd have something with lotsa drawers, like the top part
> > of a car mechanic's rolling tool chest, but preferably something under 30 bucks.
> >
> > Its gotta be big enough to store big tools (pedal wrench, chainwhip, big
> ass
> > adjustable), maybe some spare parts (stems, seatposts, cranksets, derailleurs and such - I've
> > got a bunch of old parts now!), and
preferably
> > something to handle smaller items (cassette tool, bb tools, hex
wrenches,
> > etc.). And it'd be nice if it had enough compartments I could store my lubes and greases AWAY
> > from the tools - its never fun to find out my T9
or
> > white lightning was leaking and my tools are all sticky and nasty.
> >
> > I looked around the big orange box today, and saw one that might do, but
> it
> > looked like it was pretty crappily constructed, so I passed. Anybody
have
> > suggestions? Besides make it myself, I'm already probably making some shelves and probably some
> > other stuff, and I've got that captain thing going.. oh yeah, and something about classes, too -
> > so I really don't
> have
> > time to build something as intricate as a multi-drawered toolbox.
Thanks!

> > Jon Bond
> >

> Try looking for a tackle box. Sometimes they are cheaper.
>
> ~CG

We've got a few (my dad fly fishes, or at least used to), but for the most part the compartments are
too small and too fragile to hold heavy metal bike stuff.

Jon Bond

Sears had a multi-drawer toolbox for $99.00.

--
- Zilla Cary, NC (Remove XSPAM)

"Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Cinder Girl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Just curious. Right now I'm just using the standard plastic toolbox
> with
> > > one tray that pulls out, and a couple tiny little compartments on top
> that
> > > don't really do too much. Ideally, I'd keep all my tools on a wall,
> with
> > > nice little places for all of them. However, thats kinda hard in a
dorm
> > > room, so working out of a box it is.
> > >
> > > The yellow box I'm using now just has a tendency to get all jumbled,
and
> > > have to dig through for parts. Ideally, I'd have something with lotsa drawers, like the top
> > > part of a car mechanic's rolling tool chest, but preferably something under 30 bucks.
> > >
> > > Its gotta be big enough to store big tools (pedal wrench, chainwhip,
big
> > ass
> > > adjustable), maybe some spare parts (stems, seatposts, cranksets, derailleurs and such - I've
> > > got a bunch of old parts now!), and
> preferably
> > > something to handle smaller items (cassette tool, bb tools, hex
> wrenches,
> > > etc.). And it'd be nice if it had enough compartments I could store
my
> > > lubes and greases AWAY from the tools - its never fun to find out my
T9
> or
> > > white lightning was leaking and my tools are all sticky and nasty.
> > >
> > > I looked around the big orange box today, and saw one that might do,
but
> > it
> > > looked like it was pretty crappily constructed, so I passed. Anybody
> have
> > > suggestions? Besides make it myself, I'm already probably making some shelves and probably
> > > some other stuff, and I've got that captain thing going.. oh yeah, and something about
> > > classes, too - so I really
don't
> > have
> > > time to build something as intricate as a multi-drawered toolbox.
> Thanks!
> > >
> > > Jon Bond
> > >

> > Try looking for a tackle box. Sometimes they are cheaper.
> >
> > ~CG
>
> We've got a few (my dad fly fishes, or at least used to), but for the most part the compartments
> are too small and too fragile to hold heavy metal
bike
> stuff.
>
> Jon Bond

"Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Just curious. Right now I'm just using the standard plastic toolbox with one tray that pulls out,
> and a couple tiny little compartments on top that don't really do too much. Ideally, I'd keep all
> my tools on a wall, with nice little places for all of them. However, thats kinda hard in a dorm
> room, so working out of a box it is.

Mil surplus ammo cans. 7.62 are small, .50cal are medium, 20mm are large. Cheap, waterproof, and one
for each category of tool or part.

Packs well for a trip, efficient use of space (store under your bed?) Line with sheet rubber
for padding.

For wrenches, put a piece of thick foam in the bottom, and cut slits to hold the wrenches
vertically.

Not as good as foam lined drawers, but not too bad.

Pete

Jon Bond <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
> Just curious. Right now I'm just using the standard plastic toolbox with one tray that pulls out,
> and a couple tiny little compartments on top that don't really do too much. Ideally, I'd keep all
> my tools on a wall, with nice little places for all of them. However, thats kinda hard in a dorm
> room, so working out of a box it is.
>
> The yellow box I'm using now just has a tendency to get all jumbled, and I have to dig through for
> parts. Ideally, I'd have something with lotsa drawers, like the top part of a car mechanic's
> rolling tool chest, but preferably something under 30 bucks.
>
> Its gotta be big enough to store big tools (pedal wrench, chainwhip, big ass adjustable), maybe
> some spare parts (stems, seatposts, cranksets, derailleurs and such - I've got a bunch of old
> parts now!), and preferably something to handle smaller items (cassette tool, bb tools, hex
> wrenches, etc.). And it'd be nice if it had enough compartments I could store my lubes and greases
> AWAY from the tools - its never fun to find out my T9 or white lightning was leaking and my tools
> are all sticky and nasty.
>
> I looked around the big orange box today, and saw one that might do, but it looked like it was
> pretty crappily constructed, so I passed. Anybody have suggestions? Besides make it myself, I'm
> already probably making some shelves and probably some other stuff, and I've got that captain
> thing going.. oh yeah, and something about classes, too - so I really don't have time to build
> something as intricate as a multi-drawered toolbox. Thanks!
>
> Jon Bond

my tools all reside in the big plastic storage box that came with my 250 piece Craftsman wrench set
that i got for my birthday a few years back. i just toss the new ones in there as i haven't a better
method of storing them. besides, it keeps the sockets organized (except for when folks bump into it
and knock it to the floor, spilling the contents across the garage).

I would love to have one of those drawer boxes, but those cost mucho $$. that and i would have to
feed out extra $$ for something to keep the sockets organized (everything i have is organized,
except for my room, and my life. selective OCD i guess ;-) ).
--
~Travis

http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 01:10:22 -0400, "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Just curious.

Silver Craftsman from Sears 15 years old or more.

:-]

>my tools all reside in the big plastic tool box

Ive used to use boxes for my bike tools.... but now Ive been keeping them in nylon tool "bags".

I think I like the bags better I think

Got my bags at Home Depot. Got three for abt $30 I think. Was a good deal

Just a metal craftsman tool box with one tray in it. My dad uses an ammunition box that he's prbably
been lugging around for 50+ years.

"James Messick" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Just a metal craftsman tool box with one tray in it.

I use a pair of RubberMaid (plastic) toolboxes for my bike tools. I've had them for at least 15
years and they've been fine. Cheeeep. One has the bigger and heavier stuff (chain whip, big Park
pedal wrench, crank extractor, etc) in the bottom and small tools in the removeable tray (allen
wrenches, end wrenches, screwdrivers, etc). The other one I use to store lubes, tubes, rags, patch
kits, etc.

> My dad uses an ammunition box that he's prbably been lugging around for 50+ years.

When I started hanging out with a Wyoming girl 20 years ago, one of her top features was that she
had a pretty complete toolkit her crusty Wyo dad set up for her in an ammo box when she left for
college. When I married her it became mine (sort of). Still got it: holding the wyo tools (big
channel locks, vise grips, english end wrenches and sockets, roll of wire, knucklebuster, dull
jacknife, flat *******).
--
Tom "Go Pokes!" Purvis http://www.arkansasvalley.net/tpurvis/