What are people using for toolboxes?

"Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Just curious. Right now I'm just using the standard plastic toolbox with one tray that pulls out,
> and a couple tiny little compartments on top that don't really do too much. Ideally, I'd keep all
> my tools on a wall, with nice little places for all of them. However, thats kinda hard in a dorm
> room, so working out of a box it is.
>

> Jon Bond

Go to Home Depot, hardware store, whatever, and look at tool bags made by
CLC. They have all kinds of little pockets and slots inside and out for tools, the mouth opens real
wide so chainring teeth won't chew everything up, and mine has held up pretty well after a
year's worth of tradeshow work.

Lots of people - other carpenters - complain about the shoulder straps breaking, but I've had
no problems.

I recommend this because - they're not too expensive (40 for the nice ones), they can hold
everything including parts, and it's real easy to just zip up, throw it over your shoulder, and head
to the races.

I was bored, so I got this link...it's the bag I use: http://tinyurl.com/k2hm

For the record, my bike tools are piled sloppily on a bench my friend stole from the Nike outlet,
back when there was a Nike outlet.

Chris

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 00:19:41 -0400, Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 01:10:22 -0400, "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Just curious.
>
>Silver Craftsman from Sears 15 years old or more.

Mine is 22 y.o! I've got a red 2 drawer Craftsman that is older than that.. Majority of time I use a
Crafstman 3 drawer "Rally" box. Black Matte finish, red drawers...schweet box, but heavy as hell
when fully loaded.

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 15:27:32 -0400, "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> >
>> > You ponder too much Jon. Any cheapie toolbox will work if you let it.
>> >
>> > JD $5 plastic toolbox owner
>>
>> Ditto.
>>
>> - CA-G $4.99...and going strong...
>>
>> Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!
>
>My $5 one just cracked, and the one before that had the hinges break off. D'oh!
>
>Jon Bond

mine too, blah....steel is real!

> "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > it's real easy to just zip up, throw it over your shoulder, and...{go to town? :-}
>
> Umm...nah.
>
> Bill "restraint" S.

I think you're reaching, Bill...if I said "it's easy to unzip, throw it over your shoulder...",
well, then, I could see a bit of fun. Why, that's practically a limerick waiting to happen.

Homer: I once knew a man from Nantucket. Bart: What was he like? Homer: Let's just say the stories
about him were greatly exaggerated.

Chris

> You ponder too much Jon. Any cheapie toolbox will work if you let it.
>
> JD $5 plastic toolbox owner

I'm going to one-up you, JD. I've been using the Specialized Shoebox that I got free with my first
pair of clipless shoes for my tools. It seems to work well, but was starting to get beat up a bit. I
recently upgraded to a fresh Specialized Shoebox I got with my Pro Mtns. =) Should last me a couple
more years I speculate...

-John Morgan

Jon Bond <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Just curious.

<Snipped>

> Thanks!
>
> Jon Bond

No box, just big thick plastic bags that I double up. We use them here at work for packing stuff
in, so when the inside one gets tatty, I dump everything into the outside one, and put it inside a
new one. I have 3 or 4 sets all with different tools in, depending on the ride I'm doing, I swap
and change tools between workshop bags and trail bags. If I'm riding on a mission to do some
wrenching work for someone, I can just stuff all the more heavyweight stuff into my big pack this
way - no worries.

For the very large tools (1lb spanners, lockjaws/vicegrips, mallets, hammers, hacksaws etc.) I just
throw 'em in the huge red box I keep all old/spare/semi-junk bits and pieces in.

Shaun aRe - my MTB solo trail/commute tool kit does weigh in at around 4 lbs though,
heheheheh...........keeps me strong!

>Go to Home Depot, hardware store, whatever, and look at tool bags made by
>CLC. They have all kinds of little pockets and slots inside and out for tools, the mouth opens
> real wide so chainring teeth won't chew everything up, and mine has held up pretty well after
> a year's worth of tradeshow work.

Yep.... ther are what I use as well

So I "second" his recommendation!