General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

What are realistic Goals?

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 5 posts · 444 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
2 January 2006
Last activity
8 January 2006
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
444
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have been lifting for many years now, but I have never made the gains
    I would like.
    Due to not getting enough protein and calories, to having a hectic
    schedule so workouts are skipped, etc.

    I have also never set "goals", so I figure now is the time to start.

    What are realistic goals for a person in his 30s, only supplement is
    whey protein, and has been lifting for years (so no beginner gains), Im
    5'10 and weight about 170lbs.

    So what are some goals for: A. Month B. 6 months C. Years
    In the following categories (not at the sametime)
    1. Adding weight to the lifts
    2. Losing weight
    3. Gaining weight

    Obviously losing 100lbs in a month is not exactly realistic, no is
    adding 50 lbs to a lift in a month, or gaining 30 lbs of muscle in a
    month.
    Likewise, adding 1lb of weight to a lift in a year, or gaining 2lbs of
    weight in a year is probably too conservative of a goal.

    So what are some realistic (based on my background) goals?
    1. adding 5lbs to a lift in a month? adding 20 over the year?
    2. Losing 5lbs a month? Losing 15 in a year?
    3. Gaining 3lbs of muscle in a month? gaining 20lbs in a year?

    Thanks

  2. Quoted message said:


    So what are some realistic (based on my background) goals?
    1. adding 5lbs to a lift in a month? adding 20 over the year?

    The first will be difficult on a consistent basis. The second is
    reasonable, but you need to lift heavy and regularly increase the
    amount of weight you lift when you are able to increase your reps
    beyond a certain level. Doing X reps at X weight every time won't get
    you there.

    Quoted message said:

    2. Losing 5lbs a month? Losing 15 in a year?

    Both are reasonable, but will be difficult if you try to do it at the
    same time as Number 1.

    Quoted message said:

    3. Gaining 3lbs of muscle in a month? gaining 20lbs in a year?

    LBM gains are slow and gradual in the absence of anabolic steroids.
    Work on Numbers 1 and 2, that Number 3 will occur naturally.

  3. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have been lifting for many years now, but I have never made the gains
    I would like.
    Due to not getting enough protein and calories, to having a hectic
    schedule so workouts are skipped, etc.

    I have also never set "goals", so I figure now is the time to start.

    What are realistic goals for a person in his 30s, only supplement is
    whey protein, and has been lifting for years (so no beginner gains),
    Im
    5'10 and weight about 170lbs.

    So what are some goals for: A. Month B. 6 months C. Years
    In the following categories (not at the sametime)
    1. Adding weight to the lifts
    2. Losing weight
    3. Gaining weight

    Obviously losing 100lbs in a month is not exactly realistic, no is
    adding 50 lbs to a lift in a month, or gaining 30 lbs of muscle in a
    month.
    Likewise, adding 1lb of weight to a lift in a year, or gaining 2lbs of
    weight in a year is probably too conservative of a goal.

    So what are some realistic (based on my background) goals?
    1. adding 5lbs to a lift in a month? adding 20 over the year?
    2. Losing 5lbs a month? Losing 15 in a year?
    3. Gaining 3lbs of muscle in a month? gaining 20lbs in a year?

    The easiest way to keep track of your progress IMHO is to enter a
    competition of some sort. The expression "you're only competing with
    yourself" may be a cliche but it's true - use a competition, anywhere
    from once a year to once a month, to measure your progress. It doesn't
    matter what the competition is, as long as it's something you enjoy
    training for. Competing has a way of keeping your honest with yourself
    while focusing you solidly on your goals - can't ask for more than that.

    If you're 5' 10" and 170 lbs., it's unlikely that you need to lose a lot
    of bodyfat, so just focus on getting stronger and let the rest take care
    of itself along the way.

    Just my opinion.

    -S-
    http://www.kbnj.com

  4. Tiny Ballerina.

  5. [email hidden] wrote in news:1136236630.783787.41480
    @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

    Quoted message said:

    I have been lifting for many years now, but I have never made the gains
    I would like.
    Due to not getting enough protein and calories, to having a hectic
    schedule so workouts are skipped, etc.

    I have also never set "goals", so I figure now is the time to start.

    What are realistic goals for a person in his 30s, only supplement is
    whey protein, and has been lifting for years (so no beginner gains), Im
    5'10 and weight about 170lbs.

    So what are some goals for: A. Month B. 6 months C. Years
    In the following categories (not at the sametime)
    1. Adding weight to the lifts
    2. Losing weight
    3. Gaining weight

    Obviously losing 100lbs in a month is not exactly realistic, no is
    adding 50 lbs to a lift in a month, or gaining 30 lbs of muscle in a
    month.
    Likewise, adding 1lb of weight to a lift in a year, or gaining 2lbs of
    weight in a year is probably too conservative of a goal.

    So what are some realistic (based on my background) goals?
    1. adding 5lbs to a lift in a month? adding 20 over the year?
    2. Losing 5lbs a month? Losing 15 in a year?
    3. Gaining 3lbs of muscle in a month? gaining 20lbs in a year?

    Thanks

    Well, I'm 5'10", in my (latish) 40's, and 170 or so.

    My goals are a double bodyweight squat (will probably make it this year),
    *finally* break 200 for 3 on the bench (this month or next) and a
    bodyweight MP (might not make it at all).

    Or you could go for under 10% bf.

    Hugh

    --
    Exercise is a dirty word. Whenever I hear it, I wash my mouth out with
    chocolate. ("Ladi"😉

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.