What are SAGS?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by CHUSMA, Jun 2, 2003.

  1. CHUSMA

    CHUSMA Guest

    Hi:

    I'm new to biking and have been researching bike tours. I see the word SAGS a lot. Is it an acronym?

    CHUSMA

    Tags:

  2. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

  3. On Mon, 02 Jun 2003 20:24:14 -0500, CHUSM wrote:

    > Hi:
    >
    > I'm new to biking and have been researching bike tours. I see the word SAGS a lot. Is it an
    > acronym?

    Common lore is that it is (without the S) Support And Gear. A "SAG wagon" is a car or van that
    follows the riders in a race or century, and helps riders with flats, other mechanical problems, or
    when they get tired or injured. There are those who say that it does not mean that, though. What
    else it could mean is beyond me.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | It is a scientifically proven fact that a mid life crisis can _`\(,_ | only be cured by
    something racy and Italian. Bianchis and (_)/ (_) | Colnagos are a lot cheaper than Maserattis
    and Ferraris. -- Glenn Davies

  4. Eddymerkx

    Eddymerkx Guest

    I once heard it derived from sag-vagon, German for a vehicle that carries the dead:)

  5. Jay Hill

    Jay Hill Guest

    David L. Johnson wrote:
    > On Mon, 02 Jun 2003 20:24:14 -0500, CHUSM wrote:
    >

    >>Hi:
    >>
    >>I'm new to biking and have been researching bike tours. I see the word SAGS a lot. Is it an
    >>acronym?
    >

    > Common lore is that it is (without the S) Support And Gear. A "SAG wagon" is a car or van that
    > follows the riders in a race or century, and helps riders with flats, other mechanical problems,
    > or when they get tired or injured. There are those who say that it does not mean that, though.
    > What else it could mean is beyond me.

    Well, there is a good old germanic-drived English word "to sag," which means to droop, to fall away,
    etc. Like Cooper's Droop :).