What are SAGS?

CHUSMA

Guest
Hi:

I'm new to biking and have been researching bike tours. I see the word SAGS a lot. Is it an acronym?

CHUSMA

On Mon, 02 Jun 2003 20:24:14 -0500, CHUSM wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I'm new to biking and have been researching bike tours. I see the word SAGS a lot. Is it an
> acronym?

Common lore is that it is (without the S) Support And Gear. A "SAG wagon" is a car or van that
follows the riders in a race or century, and helps riders with flats, other mechanical problems, or
when they get tired or injured. There are those who say that it does not mean that, though. What
else it could mean is beyond me.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | It is a scientifically proven fact that a mid life crisis can _`\(,_ | only be cured by
something racy and Italian. Bianchis and (_)/ (_) | Colnagos are a lot cheaper than Maserattis
and Ferraris. -- Glenn Davies

I once heard it derived from sag-vagon, German for a vehicle that carries the dead:)

David L. Johnson wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Jun 2003 20:24:14 -0500, CHUSM wrote:
>

>>Hi:
>>
>>I'm new to biking and have been researching bike tours. I see the word SAGS a lot. Is it an
>>acronym?
>

> Common lore is that it is (without the S) Support And Gear. A "SAG wagon" is a car or van that
> follows the riders in a race or century, and helps riders with flats, other mechanical problems,
> or when they get tired or injured. There are those who say that it does not mean that, though.
> What else it could mean is beyond me.

Well, there is a good old germanic-drived English word "to sag," which means to droop, to fall away,
etc. Like Cooper's Droop :).