what are some good pedals?

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by country_style17, Apr 27, 2004.

  1. i just bought a kh20 signature edition unicycle and i broke my piece of
    shit wellgos. and what are some really good pedals that i can get for
    under 150 i have these pieces of crap on tere right now and their
    driving me nuts.
    o ya and i mean canadian money:(

    --
    country_style17 - holms homie o ya
    country_style17's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6357

  2. g3orge

    g3orge Guest

    i bent the spindles on my (not so-) wellgos this weekend. and a pair o'
    odyssey's to boot. i've decided to go for the snafu loose ball pedals,
    about $25 USD. they've come highly recommended to me from jc, an' some
    bikers who tend to abuse pedals. i chose the loose ball figurin'
    they'll take more abuse than the sealed bearing version. i've already
    blown a sealed bearing on a pair o' aircorps. 10 hours, tops. took an'
    18" drop off a teeter-totter (missed the runout). the bearing was
    almost unrecognisable as such when i pulled it out...
    -g3o

    --
    g3orge - stupid git

    happiness is a warm unicycle...
    g3orge's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5477

  3. I've had Wellgos... okish I guess if you just ride around, and various
    other cheap makes. Got some DMR V8s on my Muni now which are really
    nice, grippy and sealed. Strong spindle, sealed bearings, replaceable
    pins, different colours. Alo have greaseports and syringes so keeping
    them lubed up is easy! DMR V12s must be better I guess.

    Also got some Azonic A-Frames, which look sh*t hot. Long pins tho, so
    not sure if suitable for pedal grabs etc, so may go on the muni and the
    V8s may go on my upoming 29er... Gonna get some Primo Tenderizers for
    the trials as I've heard they're quality!

    --
    one wheeled stallion - Guerilla Unicyclist

    OWS
    "It's all in the mind, not the behind" -MikeFule
    one wheeled stallion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4832

  4. I have some expensive Wellgo and Primo Tenderizers.
    I would recommend the Tenderizers - they are tough.
    The only downside is that they are heavy and take getting used to if you
    move to them from a much lighter pedal.

    --
    ChangingLINKS.com - member

    Drew Brown
    http://www.ChangingLINKS.com
    ChangingLINKS.com's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5468

  5. elmer

    elmer Guest

    Primo tenderizers come in magnesium also, which is much lighter, but
    more expensive. Not good for grinding because they wear rapidly, but
    are solid and stable for everything else.

    --
    elmer - uniimpaired

    "At 40 life begins...to show."
    elmer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5193

  6. Go to 'Chain Reaction Cycles' (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com) I
    got mine from there. Unfortunately for you, this is a UK site, but I'm
    sure they ship internationally. Good pedals tho if you can find them!
    Good luck!

    --
    one wheeled stallion - Guerilla Unicyclist

    OWS

    "It's all in the mind, not the behind" -Mikefule
    one wheeled stallion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4832

  7. TonyMelton

    TonyMelton Guest

    I've got Odyssey Jim Cielencki on my trials uni and they are the best
    pedals I've owned for trials. 'These ones'
    (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=726). They were
    designed to withstand the pedal grinds for which BMXer Jim Cielencki is
    (apparently) famous. So far I haven't lost, bent or broken a single pin.
    On the last trials ride I did with Snafus I broke off 2 pins on each
    side of the pedal I use for grinds. If you're at all interested in
    learning to grind, Snafus won't cut the mustard.

    --
    TonyMelton - Up, up and awaaaay!

    New freestyle videos added to 'Tony's Photos'
    (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albur10) on 25th Feb! Check 'em oot!
    TonyMelton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2118

  8. :rolleyes:
    I just bought my Tenderizers yesterday and when I was trying to decide
    the owner who rides BMX offered me his old pair of the above Odyssey
    pedals, they were in really good condition, as he now uses plastic
    pedals for flatland. Only £25, but I wasn't sure about the pins so I got
    the Magnesium Tenderizrs (not really into grinding)- nevermind eh?!
    These posts always seem to pop up too late! ;)

    --
    one wheeled stallion - Guerilla Unicyclist

    OWS

    "It's all in the mind, not the behind" -Mikefule
    one wheeled stallion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4832

  9. g3orge

    g3orge Guest

    TonyMelton wrote:
    > *I've got Odyssey Jim Cielencki on my trials uni and they are the best
    > pedals I've owned for trials. 'These ones'
    > (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=726). They were
    > designed to withstand the pedal grinds for which BMXer Jim Cielencki
    > is (apparently) famous. So far I haven't lost, bent or broken a single
    > pin. On the last trials ride I did with Snafus I broke off 2 pins on
    > each side of the pedal I use for grinds. If you're at all interested
    > in learning to grind, Snafus won't cut the mustard. *

    how are they for drops?? they've definitely got a beefier body than
    the snafus. i bent 2 sets o' pedals inside 2 hours doin' 4+ foot drops
    in succession. {yes, they were cheap-ass} i am workin' on rollin' out
    better, but unfortuantely, progress is slower than i'd like. will they
    hold up? i'd looked at those as well, but knew nothin' about them.
    thanks!
    -g3o

    --
    g3orge - stupid git

    happiness is a warm unicycle...
    g3orge's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5477

  10. TonyMelton

    TonyMelton Guest

    George, if its drops thats bending your pedals then I'd say both Snafus
    and Odyssey JCs would be fine.

    You should be able to land plenty of 4footers with cheap pedals. Maybe
    your technique needs work. Try leaning out from the object you're
    dropping off as far as you dare before doing the drop. This will give
    you some horizontal motion in your drop and make rolling out easier.
    Also try hopping right to the very edge of the object and pushing off it
    if you aren't doing this already.

    --
    TonyMelton - Up, up and awaaaay!

    See some photos of the first 'NZ MUni Weekend'
    (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/NZ-MUni-Weekend-2004)
    TonyMelton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2118

  11. IowaKid

    IowaKid Guest

  12. g3orge

    g3orge Guest

    thanks tony,
    i can almost guarantee it is poor technique. it's gettin' better,
    though. too busy to ride as much as i'd like o' late, so not enough
    time to improve as fast as i'd like.
    thanks for the advice. i will give that a try when next i ride...
    -g3o