What are some of your hobbies?

stevegreer

Sep 4, 2008
Other than cycling, of course, what are some hobbies you enjoy?

Me: Reading books and magazines. Home improvements. Stressing out about the Stock Market and wondering if my meager investments are ever going to be anything other than just meager. That's about it.

Your turn!

In no particular order, reading (literature), photography, fishing, cooking, eating, writing.

I'd like to add home improvement, but given that I'm currently attempting to paint the house, I view it more as penance.

I'm a hobbyist, by nature. I've told my wife a number of times that I work to support my family and my hobbies - order changes depending on my workouts are going, or how the family (wife and kids) are acting - jus' kiddin'...:D.

Anywho:
1. Old American Stamps - got some from the 1860s...
2. Watches - got a "herd" of about 60 now - mainly Diver style watches (even though I don't dive; heck, I can't even swim(!) - not that you have to know how to swim to dive). I really like Swiss movements (ETA) and the Japanese movements from Seiko and Orient.
3. Kite flying - seriously folks, something liberating in my soul about watching a kite soaring in the wind...Currently got about 5 kites of different sizes.
4. Drag racing - yep, got an 89 Saleen Mustang convertible with Vortech supercharger that runs low 11s in the quarter. Into this pretty heavily in the 90s, not so much now that I'm in Canada but I will get back into it soon.
5. Bowling - carry about 205avg, best year was 211avg. Used to do tournaments up and down the west coast. Got 28(!) bowling balls. Why? Yes, they're all round but each has different hook characteristics depending on the lane conditions (the amount oil placed on the lane to allow the ball to slide which it does moreso than rolling).
6. to be determined...but my wife is praying that I don't get bitten by the golf bug. She knows that, with my personality, she may not ever again see me on the weekends...:D

Scuba Diving, building and flying RC Airplanes, and Bicycling is about all that I can afford. Does restoring old bicycles count as a separate hobby?

Some of my hobbies include;

1. fixing things... anything
2. motorcycling
3. weightlifting
4. playing hockey
5. watching sports on TV when I have time
6. finishing my basement, but I'm getting really sick of this hobby and I'm running out of time!
7. of course, surfing around on the internet... I think anyone on here can add that one!

I have been brewing my own beer for over 15 years. Not quite as long as I have been biking or running. I have won several awards for my beers in various comps. I love every aspect of beer making (very scientific) but the best part is the yeast. Amazing how much different yeast contribute to the end flavor of the beer. Even more amazing his how small they are but how important they are. I have a freezer full of frozen yeast in test tubes and at any given time I have 8 beers of my creation on tap including one nitrogen gassed beer. I even grow my own hops.

I spent about 2 months one winter fixing up this old beast below that was built in 1961...older then me...They just don't make em like that any more. It holds 12 of my 5-gallon kegs.
Perlick%20029%20(Medium).jpg

rplace13 said:
I have been brewing my own beer for over 15 years. Not quite as long as I have been biking or running. I have won several awards for my beers in various comps. I love every aspect of beer making (very scientific) but the best part is the yeast. Amazing how much different yeast contribute to the end flavor of the beer. Even more amazing his how small they are but how important they are. I have a freezer full of frozen yeast in test tubes and at any given time I have 8 beers of my creation on tap including one nitrogen gassed beer. I even grow my own hops.

I spent about 2 months one winter fixing up this old beast below that was built in 1961...older then me...They just don't make em like that any more. It holds 12 of my 5-gallon kegs.
Perlick%20029%20%28Medium%29.jpg

Wooo Hooo!! Party at rplace's umm... place!:cool:

I road race my CBR600RR. It occupies alot of any extra time I have. Plus the speed sensation once I'm back on my bicycle is like everything is in slow motion.:)

Lessee....I read a lot (currently reading "Annapurna", by Maurice Herzog). I dig photography. I like hiking and being in the backcountry for extended periods. Climbing (as in rocks, ice, and mountains) tickles my *****, and science is actually one of my erogenous zones.

I'm a hobbiest by nature, I love the excitement of doing something new, and doing research, and since I'm a chick...buying the gear the hobby requires. I turned a hobby into my profession (graphic design).

Other hobbies (besides road cycling)
- photography
- cars, I have a Mazda that I love and work on it almost every week, as well as a '77 Corvette at my parents place
- writing, I write for TheCollegeDriver.com as well as my 5 blogs
- RC cars...I have a custom one that I work on
- model cars
- antique cameras...have about 20 and working my way up
- computers, big geek here
- hiking/camping/backpacking
- road tripping

I have more, I'm sure of it.

Tulsa Cycle said:
I road race my CBR600RR. It occupies alot of any extra time I have. Plus the speed sensation once I'm back on my bicycle is like everything is in slow motion.:)

ditto on the RR! ;)

though more of a track day maven here rather than a racer.
i definitely notice the position changes btwn the RR & the bicycle. the bicycle makes me feel like i'm sitting up way higher whereas on the honda i feel more stretched out & leaned forward.

nothing like a fistful of throttle on the CBR & rocketing up the steep hills that kick your butt on the bicycle. :eek: :):D

Tulsa Cycle said:

I used to do the same with my 04 gixxer 600, then I sold it after loosing my license for exactly that same reason :(. Oh and a tiny small extra part which was pulling my plate up and dropping a statie on the highway. :) Thought I was in the clear....

Find a race track to discover what speed really is. Twisting the throttle on a straight is a doddle, but holding onto that throttle and waiting to grab a handful of brakes as that corner starts to get uncomfortably close is one of the hard parts.

Stupidity on public roads has a price: http://www.bagofnothing.com/bike2.jpg . Interestingly, on the track it was generally true that the street hotshots were some of the slowest racers.

Reactions: Daniel John
alienator said:
Find a race track to discover what speed really is. Twisting the throttle on a straight is a doddle, but holding onto that throttle and waiting to grab a handful of brakes as that corner starts to get uncomfortably close is one of the hard parts.

Stupidity on public roads has a price: http://www.bagofnothing.com/bike2.jpg . Interestingly, on the track it was generally true that the street hotshots were some of the slowest racers.

Believe me, racing a 1/4 mile or whatever straightaway was not my thing. If it didn't have twisties, it wasn't good. Used to ride out 1 hour at 4AM on a Sunday, between rte.7 and rte.8 in the Berkshire moutains, you want to see turns and dips? We didn't race all at the same time, just did TT's.

DancenMacabre said:
ditto on the RR! ;)

though more of a track day maven here rather than a racer.
i definitely notice the position changes btwn the RR & the bicycle. the bicycle makes me feel like i'm sitting up way higher whereas on the honda i feel more stretched out & leaned forward.

nothing like a fistful of throttle on the CBR & rocketing up the steep hills that kick your butt on the bicycle. :eek: :):D

yea, definitely a different riding position, and a lot less lean angle on a bicycle.

Reading books, Gardening, cooking, painting...so on. Depends upon the mood. Friends my hubby says I cook very well and I know lots of chicken recipes..too.

music. it speaks for me. gotta have it, gotta feel it. guitar, bass, drums. lurking. anticipating. trying to keep calm in the midst of the storm. that's hard to do for me. reading when i can, when i'm interested . Going Long is on the list.

Reactions: Daniel John
Watching movies in my home cinema, Enjoy watching and doing sports ( Cycling and Triathlon ). Reading books ( Mostly by Bernard Cornwell )