What are the 3 most important workouts for you?

Steepleboy04

Aug 4, 2004
What do you think are the 3 most important workouts that help you to improve as a competitive cyclist (cat1/2/3/4/5 whatever).

I am trying to put together a training regimen for myself, with 2-3 quality sessions during the week, and one longer session on the weekend. The other days are limited due to my job.

I'm looking for specifics in order to see what the spectrum of training concepts looks like, and what seems most effective.

In the past, I relied on a long ride on the weekend (2-4hours mostly), a 3 x20min type session, and hammering a hilly ride or climb. I was training as a triathlete before, so not all my energy was directed to cycling. This time around I would like to focus purely on cycling to see what results I can produce.

Thanks.

What events in cycling are you concerned about, or is this a list of training ideas without regard to an objective?

Steepleboy04 said:
What do you think are the 3 most important workouts that help you to improve as a competitive cyclist (cat1/2/3/4/5 whatever).

I am trying to put together a training regimen for myself, with 2-3 quality sessions during the week, and one longer session on the weekend. The other days are limited due to my job.

I'm looking for specifics in order to see what the spectrum of training concepts looks like, and what seems most effective.

In the past, I relied on a long ride on the weekend (2-4hours mostly), a 3 x20min type session, and hammering a hilly ride or climb. I was training as a triathlete before, so not all my energy was directed to cycling. This time around I would like to focus purely on cycling to see what results I can produce.

Thanks.
Sprints.

VO2Max intervals.

AC Intervals.

Spunout said:
Sprints.

VO2Max intervals.

AC Intervals.
I train for race's that are not longer than 2hr at the moment.
Sun race
Tue 4min on 1 min rest at 75 to 80% of MAP 6rep at 5% gradient then 9min at80 to 90% MAP at 1% gradient.
Thur 9min on 1 min off at 75 to 80% of MAP 6 rep at 0%gradient then 15s sprint after 45s at 40 to 50kph 4min rest
Training in winter is always on the trainer due to lack of light.

Been doing this regularly for the past 4mth and have just gone up a grade so it seems to be working for me.

In your competition preparation phase, you'll need to start spending time at 100-110% MAP. You're in your winter, so plan accordingly.

My three most important workouts (i.e., high-intensity efforts) are aerobic efficiency (L4), anaerobic work capacity (L6) and VO2MAX (L5), in that order. All level references are to Andy Coggan's schema. I do these year-round. The only thing that changes is total volume and the mix (L5 and L6 are emphasized as I get closer to a target ride).

My 3 top workouts...

Strength intervals, 3x10' on 5-7% grade, low cadence (40-50)

Anaerobic intervals, 6-8x90'', 120'' recovery

Hill repeats, 3-4x20', 5-7% grade, sub treshold zone

WarrenG said:
What events in cycling are you concerned about, or is this a list of training ideas without regard to an objective?
My current training is just logging minutes and miles at various intensities without any real structure other than to be on the bike a minimum of 60 minutes a day. I've been riding for a week now, with my longest ride being 2hours30min.

My objective right now does not involve a target race. I want to gain general fitness and strength on the bike for next spring, but I don't just want to ride minutes and miles. I'd rather switch it up with some challenging workouts.

i like to do an interval session, say 5x3minutes with 3 minutes recovery, then recover by riding easily for half an hour, then do an hour just below threshold on the flat, i find this session really brings on form and doesnt take up too much time either.