What are the average sprint speeds for cat 4/5 riders?

LS17

Jun 24, 2005
I want to know the gap between the high and low end riders. When cat 4/5 rider sprint, usually what speed in mph can they get up to? And how about Cat 1/2 riders? This is assuming it is on flat land, no aerobar....basically a criterium setting when people are sprinting for the finish line.

LS17 said:
I want to know the gap between the high and low end riders. When cat 4/5 rider sprint, usually what speed in mph can they get up to? And how about Cat 1/2 riders? This is assuming it is on flat land, no aerobar....basically a criterium setting when people are sprinting for the finish line.
The speed isn't really the issue here. The best sprinters have extremely fast acceleration, which you should be looking at.

LS17 said:
Generally 35-40mph sometimes slower... it depends on the situation... cat 1/2 would be slightly faster. But it is totally dependant on many things: wind, grade, field size/skill/competitiveness, length, breakaway or no, and on and on... do some races and you will see for yourself.

:eek: Cat5s do 35-40 mph on flat ground riding alone?
Looks like I have some work to do before my first race....

wilmar13 said:
Generally 35-40mph sometimes slower...

wh0areume said:
:eek: Cat5s do 35-40 mph on flat ground riding alone?
Looks like I have some work to do before my first race....
On a flat pack sprint for the line, those in the final selection will go as fast as the lead rider, who is usually a ringer. Again it depends on your local region and how deep the competition pool is... I remember doing a 1/2/3 race in WV and placing 6th, but it was only because the level of competition there was much lower than in PA/MD/VA/DE where I did most of my racing.

Besides, I thought you were skipping right to Cat 3? :D