What are the benefits of being a Christian? Why should I become A Christian?

Discussion in 'Your Bloody Soap Box' started by AFriend, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Susan Repp

Susan Repp New Member

I have found that 'all' religions lack 'certainty' for me and nobody out there, not even you, can catagorically prove or disprove. This is what 'faith' entails and this is not enough to answer my many, many questions. I do believe that as faulty humans the majority need something in order to survive this life and try to get those answers. I do find it interesting that mercenaries for the church gear more towards the so called 'backward' counties to spread their holy word. Why is this? I find it exasperating to find that some cultures have totally disappeared because of this and all in the name of civilization. It is much easier to convert people who have little (in the eyes of westerners) and have not had the opportunity of worldly knowledge.

All holy books have certainly been around for many years but that does necessarily mean it is fact. We just have to look at our own history books .. you have to read between the lines. Who are they written by and for whom? Many changes have been made and to satisfy mans changing whims and greed. In translation you have to be careful as not all words can be correctly worded. Even punctuation in the wrong place can change the meaning of the sentance. Interpretation can be a playground for man!

Religion is a very powerful weapon for it can control and manipulate the masses. For those at the top it can be a very lucrative position and for those following it means accepting without question, the lives they find themselves in, for it is God's will. Win, win situation for God!

I think God has left us, she has given up on us (sorry I had to lighten our discussion a bit; but, it does beg the question .. ? why would a God need to be of any specific gender?).

2. Conniebiker

Conniebiker New Member

The topic you are reffering to is called the inerrency and inspiration of the Bible. As has been stated, I do not expect you to accept this as fact readily. But as far as any religion claiming to have a "holy book" goes, the Bible is by far the most accurate and stable. I am not refferring to the english ones that we read. They are close enough but are translations from the original Hebrew and Greek, languages that are much more broad in scope than our meager english.
    In college I had an entire semester of inerrency and inspiration class. There are several dozen english translations that try to translate "better" than the others, but there are really only a handful that can be deemed accurate. This is quantifiable by the original manuscripts, and a great many more exact duplicates dated to the same timeframes.
    As far as cultures disappearing, I agree, being a person who likes to study cultures. The catholics, in thier twisted views were by far the worst at that, often forcing by sword. Not True Christianity.
    I firmly believe that we should as a whole minister to the more developed countries as well, but the majority of the developed countries have developed so many other doctrines of thier own that make it all but impossible to reach through. Innoculated I suppose could be a word.
    If, as a secretary you always typed by looking at the keys, you could get the job done, right? So you thought 30 Wpm was plenty fast. Lets say someone comes in and shows you that you can touchtype at 4 or more times the speed. Are you insulted by this "affront" or do you take the newfound, but not new insight and apply it? Most "civilized" people seem to be.
    Now if you say, have a culture who never had a computer, they would ask how to do it. No preconceptions to overcome.
    I realise it is not the same matter, but that is an analogy.
    Governments have used religious power through the years to gain, yes. Islam is doing it even today. Ever notice how many followers of Bin Laden will die gladly, but has Bin Laden ever offered to gohimself?
    I personally believe that a leader, when following the will of God, will be the most benevolent and reasonable leader in existence. Our country was founded by men grounded in the teachings of and will of God.
    The Gender of God is somewhat a strange topic to evenbe concerned with in my opinion. In every single manuscript from the beginning, God is referred to as Father, Jehovah(provider) etc. That is not merely a cultural thing. God is not a sexual being, there is no woman god to be related to, so true gender is inconsequential to His being. However, I do see it as a matter of proof that throughout the millenia of inspired writings, not one single reference is made to God manifesting as a woman. It is not that it is impossible for him to do so, but if He wanted to, do you not think he would have somewhere along the way?
    I am an equal rights type, of course, Don't misread me. But in the case of my God, he is Father and always should be.

3. lennon1218

lennon1218 New Member

It amazes me when born agains or evangelical christians try to bad mouth Catholics. If it wasn't for Constantine I (a catholic) Christianity would have never materialized. Paganism ruled the world until he took over(324 A.D.) . He used Christanity to strike fear in the kingdom. He also stripped all other churches of their wealth. I myself am atheist. It all comes down to science. Now we have uneducated people trying to rewrite science text books. If evolution exists it puts an ax in all religious history. Think of evolution as a murder trial. If there are no eye witneses to the crime did it not happen? We put people to death in this country based on scientific theories, clues, dna, but we still can't come to a conclusion that evolutiion is real when the evidence is laid out in front of us.

P.S. All faith is blind faith when you shut the eye of reason

4. wiredued

wiredued New Member

Internalized idolatry is still idolatry Paganism still rules the world each one of us has his own belief in who God is. Nine times out of ten it is a God that does not exist ussually due to our love of pleasure over whats right. Even when an agnostic says the universe has always been and always will be he deifies the universe and worships the creation more than the creator. When ideology becomes idolatry in the light of God's word choosing the true God and seeing idolatry as the transgression of his law the ten commandments creates a hunger and thirst for righteousness and the understanding of grace and the gift of righteousness through faith in Christ.

5. ALAN OBRIEN

ALAN OBRIEN New Member

CAN WE GET OFF THE SUBJECT OF RELIGION AND GET BACK TO THE SUBJECT OF WHAT WE ALL COME TO THIS FORUM FOR, NAMELY CYCLING. IF YOU WANT TO GO ON ABOUT RELIGION GO TO "MY BLOODY SOAP BOX" AND ARGUE ABOUT IT THERE. :mad:

6. wiredued

wiredued New Member

You must be on the wrong thread this one starts with a religous question and I think it is within the parameters of "The Bike Cafe" having a belief system is human nature and it does come up in open conversation in a free society.

7. ALAN OBRIEN

ALAN OBRIEN New Member

wiredued, i have no problem with peoples beliefs, human nature or whatever.
    i, for one come to this forum to talk cycling, whether talking about racing, training, touring, mountain biking, track, whatever, you get the idea....
    i do not come to this forum to talk about jesus, allah, buddhism, christianity or religion in general!
    this IS a CYCLING forum NOT a RELIGIOUS forum.
    PLEASE talk about religious issues elsewhere.
    thank you.
    your's in cycling,
    alan.

8. wiredued

wiredued New Member

Ok here is a post you made at "Anyone from Ireland?"

"as someone who deal's with shannon aerospace on a daily basis, (dealing with management and the guy's on the floor) i have to agree, the place is a shithole, the hours are terrible, but i also know that this is because of the nature of the business.
    i deal in aircraft spares and i know that the profit margins in this business are not huge. dont get me wrong, i'm not defending shannon aerospace, let me give you an example of what im talking about, i could get an aircraft part in stock where i work, the part might cost the company $25,000, we could make somewhere in the region of a $400 or $500 dollar profit.
    the simple fact is this, in this business you either do what you can to make your company survive, or you go under. it is as simple as that.
    as i said earlier, im not defending shannon aerospace in any way , shape or form, but i do, to a certain extent understand it.
    no one "HAS" to work there, though some might feel that they dont have a choice, they do. they can either stop complaining about working there and look for something else or they can stay miserable and stay working for a pittance for the rest of their lives.
    its really down to them."

What did that have to do with Bicycles?

Here is another one from "Do you think the world is safer since 9/11?

"excuse my french, but, with the likes of osama bin laden, abu musab al zarqawi and george "dubyah" bush around, we are most certainly not f'ing safe."

Again what does that have to do with cycling Alan?

9. concord

concord Member

Alan, what compels you to read this thread? Is it because it has to do with Christianity? There are a ton of other threads about cycling... go there and whine. Besides who is arguing here? Hey Alan, Jesus IS Lord and He loves you. If you reply it'll mean you want to hear more.

BTW you don't have to yell :rolleyes:

10. Conniebiker

Conniebiker New Member

We will "be on the subject" as long as people look at and reply to this thread. If you don't want to see it then don't look at it. Simple solution. :rolleyes:

11. ALAN OBRIEN

ALAN OBRIEN New Member

i totally agree, lets just agree to didagree on this one.
    this is obviously one subject that no one is going to back down on.
    apologies if i offended anyone with any remarks i may have made.
    yours in cycling,
    alan. :)

12. LottomagicZ4941

LottomagicZ4941 New Member

13. ALAN OBRIEN

ALAN OBRIEN New Member

IM DELIGHTED TO SEE THAT THIS THREAD WAS MOVED TO MY BLOODY SOAP BOX LIKE I HAD SUGGESTED EARLIER IN THIS THREAD. :)

14. Darjevon

Darjevon New Member

No doubt "afreind" stones local homosexuals? I sure hope not- thats a crime. After all, its in the bible - do what it says.

J

15. howierart

howierart New Member

Im an atheist.. I wish I wasnt but five years of university education and an open mind leave me with no better choice. I wish I could comfort myself from the difficult things in life but I know im facing a void - maybe that void is itself wonderful? As a cyclist its scary to know that death may come at any time..Though as kurk vonnegut says so it goes! Christ was too much of a wuss to climb the Alps on his bike..Or maybe christ was Fausto Copppi..Id have him as my christ then id belive..Ha ha ha or lets have a female christ like Eileen Sheridan!...Looks like we need a new religion! Well im an atheist but I still think we should have fun and lokk after and love each other! The antichrist is the motor car every time!

16. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I agree - you only have to look at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

17. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Are you one of them there Born Againers ?

18. howierart

howierart New Member

Has this nonsense not been removed yet.. id like to see the person who started this thread ask some genuine cycling questions

19. Susan Repp

Susan Repp New Member

Gone fishin' probably or some other more industrious .. yes, it could be, cyclingggggggggggggggggggggggggggg .. hello there in England - I miss my fair Isle! :(

20. Darjevon

Darjevon New Member

I dont pretend to know god because IM PERCEPTIVE ENOUGH TO KNOW THAT I [email protected] WELL DONT! i have steered clear of this bigotry and am a proud disciple of sanity!!!!

(where are my pills?) :D

seriously, whether or not you agree with this religious s**t, I come to this forum to discuss bikes not religion.

WHY DONT YOU JUST SHOOT ME NOW!! SEND ME TO HELL, [email protected]**ards!

(wow man, this lithium dibromide is good stuff!!) ;)

-Jojo 1:56