What are the benefits of being a Christian? Why should I become A Christian?



Darjevon

New Member
Feb 26, 2005
263
0
0
:D
Just kidding guys. But I really do wish cycling forums administration would E-radicate this thread. And I really am a proud agnostic. But my mindset isnt NEARLY that extremist.

Jojo "now subdued by horse tranquilizer" B.
 

Bamberg

New Member
Sep 17, 2004
23
0
0
I don't believe in your god. I just do what the voices tell me...(Imagine sound of deranged laughter here).

P.S. Anyone out there read "Under the Banner of Heaven" by Jon Krakauer? It's a real eye opener.
 

LottomagicZ4941

New Member
Oct 6, 2004
259
0
0
54
My least favorite verse in the Bible use to be the one about a fool being of many words as I can be quite verbally prolific.

Anyway my new least favorite is the one about how Jesus will not know some who had even cast out deamons in his name.

On a lighter note here are some old light bulb jokes.

How Many Christians Does It Take to Change a Light Bulb?
*Charismatic:* Only 1 - Hands are already in the air.
*Pentecostal:* 10 - One to change the bulb, and nine to pray against the
spirit of darkness.
*Presbyterians:* None - Lights will go on and off at predestined times.
*Roman Catholic:* None - Candles only. (Of guaranteed origin of course.)
*Baptists:* At least 15 - One to change the light bulb, and three committees to approve the change and decide who brings the potato salad and fried chicken.
*Episcopalians:* 3 - One to call the electrician, one to mix the drinks, and one to talk about how much better the old one was.
*Mormons:* 5 - One man to change the bulb, and four wives to tell him how to do it.
*Unitarians:* We choose not to make a statement either in favor of or against the need for a light bulb. However, if in your own journey you have found that light bulbs work for you, you are invited to write a poem or compose a modern dance about your light bulb for the next Sunday service, in which we will explore a number of light bulb traditions, including incandescent, fluorescent, 3-way, long-life and tinted, all of which are equally valid paths to luminescence.
*Methodists:* Undetermined - Whether your light is bright, dull, or completely out, you are loved. You can be a light bulb, turnip bulb, or
tulip bulb. Bring a bulb of your choice to the Sunday lighting service and a covered dish to pass.
*Nazarene:* 6 - One woman to replace the bulb while five men review church lighting policy.
*Lutherans:* None - Lutherans don't believe in change.
*Amish:* What’s a light bulb?
found on
http://www.christianforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=12753
 

limerickman

Well-Known Member
Jan 5, 2004
16,130
110
63
LottomagicZ4941 said:
My least favorite verse in the Bible use to be the one about a fool being of many words as I can be quite verbally prolific.

Anyway my new least favorite is the one about how Jesus will not know some who had even cast out deamons in his name.

On a lighter note here are some old light bulb jokes.

How Many Christians Does It Take to Change a Light Bulb?
*Charismatic:* Only 1 - Hands are already in the air.
*Pentecostal:* 10 - One to change the bulb, and nine to pray against the
spirit of darkness.
*Presbyterians:* None - Lights will go on and off at predestined times.
*Roman Catholic:* None - Candles only. (Of guaranteed origin of course.)
*Baptists:* At least 15 - One to change the light bulb, and three committees to approve the change and decide who brings the potato salad and fried chicken.
*Episcopalians:* 3 - One to call the electrician, one to mix the drinks, and one to talk about how much better the old one was.
*Mormons:* 5 - One man to change the bulb, and four wives to tell him how to do it.
*Unitarians:* We choose not to make a statement either in favor of or against the need for a light bulb. However, if in your own journey you have found that light bulbs work for you, you are invited to write a poem or compose a modern dance about your light bulb for the next Sunday service, in which we will explore a number of light bulb traditions, including incandescent, fluorescent, 3-way, long-life and tinted, all of which are equally valid paths to luminescence.
*Methodists:* Undetermined - Whether your light is bright, dull, or completely out, you are loved. You can be a light bulb, turnip bulb, or
tulip bulb. Bring a bulb of your choice to the Sunday lighting service and a covered dish to pass.
*Nazarene:* 6 - One woman to replace the bulb while five men review church lighting policy.
*Lutherans:* None - Lutherans don't believe in change.
*Amish:* What’s a light bulb?
found on
http://www.christianforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=12753




Very good.
Best post so far on this thread.
 

ALAN OBRIEN

New Member
Jan 23, 2004
184
0
0
47
limerickman said:
Alan - were you out at Fedamore for the Ras Luimni last weekend ?[/QUOTE

i wasn't unfortunatly, i had to go and spend a "lovely" weekend with my inlaws. believe me i wish i was at the ras, by the way who won? i havent had a chance to see any results from the past weekends racing.
 

zapper

Banned
Mar 11, 2004
2,495
0
0
lennon1218 said:
It amazes me when born agains or evangelical christians try to bad mouth Catholics. If it wasn't for Constantine I (a catholic) Christianity would have never materialized. Paganism ruled the world until he took over(324 A.D.)
Hey homer...next time you want to send "hate mail", try using complete sentences...What is this ****? You are truly a loser...

"This is a message from lennon1218 at Cycling Forums ( http://www.cyclingforums.com/index.php ). The Cycling Forums owners cannot accept any responsibility for the contents of the email.

To email lennon1218, you can use this online form:
http://www.cyclingforums.com/sendmessage.php?do=mailmember&userid=80348

This is the message:

are an asshole"
 

limerickman

Well-Known Member
Jan 5, 2004
16,130
110
63
ALAN OBRIEN said:
limerickman said:
Alan - were you out at Fedamore for the Ras Luimni last weekend ?[/QUOTE

i wasn't unfortunatly, i had to go and spend a "lovely" weekend with my inlaws. believe me i wish i was at the ras, by the way who won? i havent had a chance to see any results from the past weekends racing.

The winner was from Killorglin CC.
Ciaran Power came in 6th or 7th.
He wasn't bursting a gut - just racing with the guys.
I got the impression that he was happy to be out and getting some fast miles in.

Power's riding with the US Navigators Insurance Team - there were a few of his
American team mates cycling as well.
Very professional.
 

less'go

New Member
Sep 11, 2003
749
2
0
53
I leave this forum for two minutes and when I get back, look what you kids have been up to! Why back when I was a regular poster, this kind of thread would have been shot down quicker than... well, quicker than something that got shot down real fast.

Hi Lim!

limerickman said:
The winner was from Killorglin CC.
Ciaran Power came in 6th or 7th.
He wasn't bursting a gut - just racing with the guys.
I got the impression that he was happy to be out and getting some fast miles in.

Power's riding with the US Navigators Insurance Team - there were a few of his
American team mates cycling as well.
Very professional.
 

RC2

New Member
May 21, 2004
905
1
0
less'go said:
...would have been shot down quicker than... well, quicker than something that got shot down real fast.

...faster than Snoopy?

Didn't the red baron turn his doghouse into cheese pretty fast?
 

limerickman

Well-Known Member
Jan 5, 2004
16,130
110
63
less'go said:
I leave this forum for two minutes and when I get back, look what you kids have been up to! Why back when I was a regular poster, this kind of thread would have been shot down quicker than... well, quicker than something that got shot down real fast.

Hi Lim!

Bon soir or should that bon nuit ?
Welcome back.
 

Darjevon

New Member
Feb 26, 2005
263
0
0
leviticus 1:14:

Only the baddest of downhill/freeride norco bicycles doeth the greatness of the leader born unto himself justice...
...eth.

Anon.

what am i smoking - oh dear. :eek:
 

Darjevon

New Member
Feb 26, 2005
263
0
0
ever notice how the "embarrassment" emoticon looks more "smoked out" than embarrassed?
 

rockytopthunder

New Member
Jul 14, 2003
15
0
0
hilbill said:
I'm here to talk about cycling, not god. If I wanted that, I would go to church.

One question for you AFriend... if you want to work in gods way why are you going around pushing your beliefs on other people? Keep it to yourself because not everyone feels the same as you! :eek:

It's called freedom of speech. Maybe if a few more Christians started to sppek out, we would not have some of the problems in the Schools and in Goverment. The man is just sharing his message, even though this thrad is about cycling. Get off his ass!
 

shaneajohnson

New Member
Mar 24, 2005
5
0
0
tyler_derden said:
It is also clearly stated that "thou shalt not kill" yet the "christian" government of the US is happy to send troops to kill as many as possible in places like Afghanistan and Iraq.

This is one of my main problems with christianity. The adherents pick and choose quotations out of context (and ignore contradictory ones) to support whatever their position is on the subject of the moment.

I recommend a visit to Landover Baptist Church
Be sure to check their T-shirt selection for some interesting bible quotations!

Hmmmm, how about this one?
"Suffer not a woman to teach nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence." Timothy 2:12-15

TD
But do you realize that in the original language of the Bible, the "thou shalt not kill" used a word referring to murder, while war and capital punishment are referred to with different words? Thus, there is no hypocrisy in believing the Bible, being a Christian, and yet supporting war and capital punishment.
 

shaneajohnson

New Member
Mar 24, 2005
5
0
0
howierart said:
Im an atheist.. I wish I wasnt but five years of university education and an open mind leave me with no better choice. I wish I could comfort myself from the difficult things in life but I know im facing a void - maybe that void is itself wonderful? As a cyclist its scary to know that death may come at any time..Though as kurk vonnegut says so it goes! Christ was too much of a wuss to climb the Alps on his bike..Or maybe christ was Fausto Copppi..Id have him as my christ then id belive..Ha ha ha or lets have a female christ like Eileen Sheridan!...Looks like we need a new religion! Well im an atheist but I still think we should have fun and lokk after and love each other! The antichrist is the motor car every time!
So as an atheist, your belief system is based on the *non-existence* of something? I'm always astounded by how many people fall in to the trap of atheism. To be certain that something like God does not exist anywhere in the universe requires knowledge of the complete universe. But having knowledge of the complete universe would make someone ominiscient, and thus like God. This is ia a logical inconsistency that atheists cannot defend. Or do you have a defense?
 

Doctor Morbius

New Member
Mar 15, 2004
1,792
1
0
Lord Apothis is the one true god! You shall all pay for your insolence!


...

How was that? Was it a little over the top? :eek:
 

skareb

New Member
Jan 17, 2004
57
0
0
Susan Repp said:
I do find it interesting that mercenaries for the church gear more towards the so called 'backward' counties to spread their holy word. Why is this? I find it exasperating to find that some cultures have totally disappeared because of this and all in the name of civilization. It is much easier to convert people who have little (in the eyes of westerners) and have not had the opportunity of worldly knowledge.

I believe they're so desperate to spread the religion coz of money, RC is a hugh corporation makin tons of money, the more ppl believe the more money they make, something like AMWAY, more downline.

The pope sorry to say this at this grief moment he's the CEO, I've always question why when jesus walk when he could have ppl carrying him? coz he's humble, but pope chooses to cruz around on a merc 600, fully armoured, why?

Does he not have faith in the god he's promoting? He thinks jesus can't protect him?

He lived like a king, and even has a summer villa where he retreats to when jesus retreat to the hills and meditate in the forest.

Is he afraid of dying when he always promote heaven being a better place?