What are the benefits of being a Christian? Why should I become A Christian?

Discussion in 'Your Bloody Soap Box' started by AFriend, Feb 8, 2005.

1. oldnbusted

oldnbusted New Member

As has been covered, this is a cycling forum, so wtf? And secondly, advocating a religion on the basis of it being a no-lose situation is possibly the scummiest thing ever.

2. Darjevon

Darjevon New Member

when I graduated from high school in memphis, tennessee, other students made fun of me for being agnostic, people tried to "save" me every day! I GOT "JUMPED" 19 TIMES BY CHRISTIAN GANGS MADE UP OF BRAINLESS ASSHOLES LIKE YOURSELF! I HAVE A LONG SCAR ON MY FOREHEAD BECAUSE OF PEOPLE LIKE YOU! AND IF ANY MORE CHRISTIANS HAD "SPOKE OUT" I WOULD HAVE BEEN HAZED. IN CONCLUSION, FUCK YOU!

3. lokstah

lokstah New Member

Whoops, crossed over into Bloody Soapbox territory. Why hasn't this thread been moved, again?

4. Darjevon

Darjevon New Member

Yes, I do. whats your IQ? here's yet another of your "logical inconsistencies." hundreds of other religions and their variants claim that their leader is omniscient, what is the basis upon which you decided that god is the one? also, I imagine there very well may be a sacred creator, but I dont know who he is. Im with Bernard Shaw.

5. lokstah

lokstah New Member

I think you're describing yourself more as an agnostic than an aethist, for the record.

Also for the record, in response to shaneajohnson, devout spirituality and staunch aethism are similar in their overreaching absolutism: in their purest form, each goes beyond the bounds of perfect logic. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to criticize aethism as dogmatic or absolutist when you're speaking from a religious perspective.

Finally, for a third record, this is such a Bloody Soapbox topic. What the hell?

6. Darjevon

Darjevon New Member

i know i am agnostic. i just frequently mistype it and put atheist by accident.

7. lokstah

lokstah New Member

word; got it

8. midgie

midgie New Member

Frodo is that you?

9. shaneajohnson

shaneajohnson New Member

I didn't claim that my pointing out your logical inconsistency implied that the Judeo-Christian God is the true one. You drew an incorrect inference. As another poster already pointed out, perhaps it would be better to describe yourself as agnostic. But then here's my question: An agnostic would claim that we can't really know whether there is a god, and if so, which one is the true god. But I have yet to meet an agnostic who has actually done an unbiased investigation of all of the evidence for and against God.

I don't think Christians should run around attacking people, but I am always astounded by how many people feel free to attack a Christian's beliefs, without ever having considered the veracity of them.

BTW, I don't know why it matters, but my IQ tested at 155.

10. zapper

zapper Banned

Yeah and I suppose you were attacked by Elvis too.. Look, I graduated from a private Christian school and we never rode around looking for people to convert or beat up just because of their religious beliefs.. You just probably shot your mouth off too much... ;)

11. zapper

zapper Banned

Stupid question in this type of forum...Anyone could just type a number and how would you know? Just by asking this question you have displayed yours...thanks ;)

12. martin_j001

martin_j001 New Member

To add to the pissing contest:

Whats everyone's position on abortion, the war, taxes, and social security.

Lets have some more arguments about who's right and who's wrong!!!!!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

13. House

House Banned

The direction this thread went in does a good job of answering the question "why shouldn't I become a christian!":cool:

14. LotteBum

LotteBum New Member

Can I just say that I deeply despise religion and I certainly don't need it pushed upon me by ANYONE. I'm sick of walking down the street and almost being attacked by preachers, let along going to www.cyclingforums.com (not www.religion.com) and being preached to.

I cannot believe this thread has not been deleted.

15. wazabike

wazabike New Member

16. mtnrider

mtnrider New Member

many preach "preach always, and only when nessasary use words";)

17. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius New Member

Where's Jerry Springer when you need him?

Oh wait, here he is ... http://www.jerryspringertv.com/ He may actually give a damn about a couple of tards arguing.

18. Count Dz

Count Dz New Member

The only way this thread is going to die is if we stop posting. So leave it alone and it'll find it's way into cyberhell.

Buddhism forever! :p

Peace,
    Dz

19. lokstah

lokstah New Member

What a strange thing to say. As a curious person (who happens to be more or less agnostic), I'd love to gain access to the official reference materials labeled as "Evidence for God" and "Evidence Against God." I'd also like to ask the official editor of these volumes how he/she sourced, compiled, and validated the material. Quite a bibliography involved, no?

Really, though, you can't logically criticize aetheists for being dogmatic and absolutist when you're speaking from an inherently dogmatic and absolutist position. Religion isn't built on empirical evidence, and frankly, neither is aetheism.

20. lokstah

lokstah New Member

It's the common cold effect: if everyone on the planet could keep from catching or transmitting the damn thing for two weeks, we'd come pretty close to eradicating it. Ain't gonna happen, though.