What are the benefits of being a Christian? Why should I become A Christian?

snyper0311 said:
One question that I have for you is,"If there is no God, how can you explain why people have a personality?" Some of the Greatest scientists in the world can't explain that one! The only real answer is God! No God, we would all be "Bricks."

Personality comes from a set of learned responses gained from birth forward as a part of personal experiences. Develops through the medium of interaction with your own self as defined by independent thought. We are all as different in this regard as we are down to our DNA, which has a potential influence on how we learn, store and retrieve these memories and experiences and apply them instantly to new situations. Does this remove any sense of emotion or beauty of the world? No. Of course not. Does personality prove the existence of God? Please. Of course it doesnt.

c158 said:
The point here I guess is that we all make a choice...joking and all is fine but we once we have heard the truth....We can then be held accountable to it. No matter what we think. We have all been presented with a real issue, we will all make a choice as we leave this post. We will recognize this as truth or as false. Some might see truth and still walk away from it and that’s every mans choice but if this is truth that this guy took the time to write...What are the consequences of the choice you (like or not) are now forced to make?

It’s pretty heavy when you think about it...So whether this is the right place for this conversation or not you/we have been presented a choice.

You've heard the phrase for it or against it....There is no in between?

But you don't seem to understand. If one "recognizes the post as false" (as you put it), then there is no choice that one is "forced to make" (again as you put it). And then it's frankly not "heavy" at all! :rolleyes: Anyway... Cycling forum... I won't post to this thread again and add to it's already too long lifespan.

graf zeppelin said:
Personality comes from a set of learned responses gained from birth forward as a part of personal experiences. Develops through the medium of interaction with your own self as defined by independent thought. We are all as different in this regard as we are down to our DNA, which has a potential influence on how we learn, store and retrieve these memories and experiences and apply them instantly to new situations. Does this remove any sense of emotion or beauty of the world? No. Of course not. Does personality prove the existence of God? Please. Of course it doesnt.

I am not saying that personality is sole proof of God. What I am saying is, how do you explain the differences between people. Can you? According to some of the above posts, we should all be doing the same thing because we either, (1) came from the same fish/organism that crawled out of the water or (2) we all came from the same two people. What I was trying to ask is, "How does someone explain the differences in people? Some might go as far as calling it "soul." Why are you the way you are? Why do we find ourselves here debating this issue? Our common answer is we love bikes. But if I go to the next office, the person next to me hates anything to do with excercise, thus hates bikes. Shouldn't we all be the same? Shouldn't we all be Lance? Why is it that some of the others in my biking group can climb better while others can sprint better? Whether or not you believe in God is up to you. All I know is that my belief is faith based and God plays the major role in my life.

StillRiding5500 said:
I Think Hell is a better option than Heaven, because that's where all of the best bands will be. Heaven wouldn't be any fun at all. And you're stuck there for an eternity doing nothing.....
"Heaven...

Heaven is a place

A place where nothing

Nothing ever happens"

:rolleyes:

It's hard to imagine that nothing at all could be so exciting and so much fun.

Wurm said:
"Heaven...

Heaven is a place

A place where nothing

Nothing ever happens"

:rolleyes:

Hehe. I dont know why I entered this topic, but the Jesus spam troubled me. :rolleyes: I shall bow out, since this conversation belongs at the very least in another section of the site, if not on another site altogether. No disrespect intended towards those of Faith. We're all entitled to our beliefs, but its that fact right there that seems to get lost on some.

Jesus freaks are annoying as hell. Go preach somewhere else monkey boy. I hope you get a flat far, far from home, without a spare tube or patch kit.

"Personality comes from a set of learned responses gained from birth forward as a part of personal experiences." graf zeppelin

gz-Good point. Please don't overlook the great work of the wonderful entemologist-turned-neurologist Edward O. Wilson who discovered that we are not quite blank slates when we are born, rather more like undeveloped negatives. Hence the general template for our personality comes directly from our DNA.

c158 said:
The point here I guess is that we all make a choice...joking and all is fine but we once we have heard the truth....We can then be held accountable to it. No matter what we think. We have all been presented with a real issue, we will all make a choice as we leave this post. We will recognize this as truth or as false. Some might see truth and still walk away from it and that’s every mans choice but if this is truth that this guy took the time to write...What are the consequences of the choice you (like or not) are now forced to make?

It’s pretty heavy when you think about it...So whether this is the right place for this conversation or not you/we have been presented a choice.

You've heard the phrase for it or against it....There is no in between?
I'd rather not think of something like this as a choice: this puts too much pressure on me. I'll think of it as a journey: it's more fun.
A choice is something like whether or not to buy a FREAKIN CRANKSET WITH A FREAKIN INTEGRATED BOTTOM BRACKET OR NOT! Does any one have any opinion on whether they are significantly stiffer or not?:mad:

ishiwata said:
It's hard to imagine that nothing at all could be so exciting and so much fun.
"When this kiss is over

It will

Start again

Will not be any different

Will be exactly the same"

I am a christian, and not even I would stoop low enough to write that stuff on a cycling forum. I hope that no one actually read through all of that. The sure way to turn someone away from Jesus is to write a long list of **** like that. Belive me when I say that It is not about that.
Please moderators save us!
Now lets get back to cycling!

Whether you believe in God or not. This is not the place to express your feelings on religion, unless you worship your bike, Jan Ullrich, Lance Armstrong or whomever your favorite cyclist may be. I can appreciate your devotion or calling to Christ, but this really is a cycling forum. So, please be respectful of others and keep all topics to cycling related issues. Although a few heathens lurk here, it is generally a great place to visit. Have a great day!

Scuba Steve

Wurm said:
Kill This Thread -- Please!!!

Maybe you should pray for God to kill it!

It is God's will that this thread continues... until such time as he/she/it changes its mind and induces the moderator to kill it.

Perhaps the existence of this thread is proof of God's existence... No wait, the canceling of this thread would be proof... no wait, I'm confused!

The thing I can't understand is how one makes the leap from a belief in God to a belief in Jesus (or Mohammed, or Bhudda, or any of the other thousands of deities that have been invented by the minds of men).

The brick-god I serve awaits another goat...

TD

ok, since jesus built my hotrod, ya'll think it would be too much to ask him to build my bike too?

So I am confused. Is Ultegra 10 that much better than Ultegra 9 or should I not bother with the upgrade?

As a professional theologian for more than 20 years, one who has published nearly 20 books and 50 articles on the subject, I can say two things in response to the question that started this thread: (1) Become a Christian only if Christianity is true. (2) Christianity is, in fact, true.

Scuba Steve said:
Whether you believe in God or not. This is not the place to express your feelings on religion, unless you worship your bike, Jan Ullrich, Lance Armstrong or whomever your favorite cyclist may be. I can appreciate your devotion or calling to Christ, but this really is a cycling forum. So, please be respectful of others and keep all topics to cycling related issues. Although a few heathens lurk here, it is generally a great place to visit. Have a great day!

Scuba Steve

So, what I don't understand about this post is that: it's O.K. to talk about underwear being banned in certain states, or whether or not the president sucks, politics in general, and even hate between countries or states but religion is the ONLY thing that is disrespectful! Funny! I do agree that this is a great site but part of what makes it great is the fact that you have other areas of intrest besides cycling. Our common thread is our lives on bikes! Also, Right Back At You- Have A Great Day As Well!