What are the benefits of being a Christian? Why should I become A Christian?

LottomagicZ4941 said:
Einstein also said something to the effect that genius has it's limits but stupidy has no bounds.

Don't know if he really said this or if it was a joke.

Found it as an Einstein quote on one of the runboards.

My least favorite Bible verse use to be the one about a fool being known by his man words.

However my current least favorite is the one about not all who call on his name will be known. Even some of those who casted out deamons in his name.

I don't understand much of what is in the Bible. But I do respect it as goods word. There would be no cycling if it were not for God. Those who are offended by this are offended because part of them knows that it is true.
One of the biggest turn-offs to religion are those who continually present unsubstantiated beliefs as fact. There is absolutely no evidence to prove that cycling is dependent in any way upon there being a God. People are offended when others insult their intelligence by presenting things as fact when it's obviously a matter of belief verses non-belief and neither side can prove it one way or the other.

Beastt said:
One of the biggest turn-offs to religion are those who continually present unsubstantiated beliefs as fact. There is absolutely no evidence to prove that cycling is dependent in any way upon there being a God. People are offended when others insult their intelligence by presenting things as fact when it's obviously a matter of belief verses non-belief and neither side can prove it one way or the other.

I don't think a belief has to be substantiated by a fact.
An ideology is not underpinned by facts.

I am Catholic - I don't expect other people to necessarily agree with what I believe in.
I would also not want to wish to inflict my religious persuasion on other people.

I am also cognisant enough to recognise that people who are not RC's - from agnostics to Muslims, from Jewish people to Hindus - live more ethical and moral lives, than some so-called Catholics.

I don't go round spouting Scripture but in this one instance I will :
Jesus Christ said that "in my Fathers house, there are many mansions" : this I take to believe that if you lead a moral, ethical life, God will be generous come Judgement Day.

I wish I could remember where I read it, I think it was in some Robert Anton Wilson book or something similar. Anyway it was said that "Man needs a god like a fish needs a bicycle." That's the only tie-between I could think of for this forum and topic.

I'm agnostic myself but I enjoy speaking with religious people, regardless of the specifics of their religion (christian, muslim, jew, they're all looney to me). My ex-wife used to get irritated with me because I would talk with the Jehovah's Witnesses that would travel through our neighborhood spreading their good news. I have a lot of respect for them (at least the ones I've met) as they seem to have a real sense of community within their congregation. They even built their own church for Pete's sake (would that be saint peter?).

There's also an elderly gent here at work who enjoys lobbing christian scriptures at me from time to time. It's all in good fun as I've made my personal beliefs quite clear to him. Still, we end up having many meaningful conversations about issues that never seem to get addressed in his church. Or else he'll approach me about personal struggles he has about some useless drama that always seems to stir about in churches. You know, the usual "he said, she said. oh yeah, well God said..." sort of business. It's still sad to hear him speak of other christian's shortcomings when he has much room for improvement himself. I'm not saying I'm perfect; I'm comfortable with my flaws (genes).

If there is a god, I don't think he speaks English, Hebrew, in Tongues, or any of that other He-Jaz. During a particularly troubling time in my life, I'm pretty sure that god spoke to me via a broken swing set. It was a beautiful day indeed, for I knew that everything would be alright. :)

Beastt said:
Well put. The Bible is a collection of age'd stories of suppose'd divine origin. One can believe them or not believe them. I choose not to believe them. They were written by men to benefit men (Both the Bible & the Koran). I beleive what Gov. Jesse Ventura verbalized, "Religion is a crutch for the weak." That is just my opinion.

davidmc said:
Well put. The Bible is a collection of age'd stories of suppose'd divine origin. One can believe them or not believe them. I choose not to believe them. They were written by men to benefit men (Both the Bible & the Koran). I beleive what Gov. Jesse Ventura verbalized, "Religion is a crutch for the weak." That is just my opinion.

I've heard it all now.
Invoking Jesse Ventura.

No wonder Schwarzenneger got elected.

limerickman said:
I've heard it all now.
Invoking Jesse Ventura.

No wonder Schwarzenneger got elected.
Ventura is/was fiscally responsible. Are you aware of the Budget battle going on over here now? Bush & his henchmen in congress are eviscerating the "social-contract" in order to extend tax cuts, primarily to the people who have benefitted most from the American system (Rich folk) :mad:

Beastt said:

Hmmmmmm. . . . . . . .just thinking the same thing about a lot of the evolutionary and bigbang beliefs.

:confused:

It's true in part. We all agree the crucifixion took place but it's a fact the actual Christian doctrine borrowed from other belief systems such as Eleusian Mystery religions. These Greek mystery religions also believed in resurrection or used wine as part of a ceremonial supper. This is why the Romans associated Christians with other cults that had a more dubious reputation.
My theory is that the actual Christian doctrine changed radically from the beliefs held by the very first Christians and that Christianity per se is a mixture of many different influences in one. Even the idea of Christmas comes from the old Saturnalia holiday and the 25th of December was borrowed from a celtic celebration.

mebauman said:
As a professional theologian for more than 20 years, one who has published nearly 20 books and 50 articles on the subject, I can say two things in response to the question that started this thread: (1) Become a Christian only if Christianity is true. (2) Christianity is, in fact, true.

limerickman said:
I don't think a belief has to be substantiated by a fact.
An ideology is not underpinned by facts.

I am Catholic - I don't expect other people to necessarily agree with what I believe in.
I would also not want to wish to inflict my religious persuasion on other people.

I am also cognisant enough to recognise that people who are not RC's - from agnostics to Muslims, from Jewish people to Hindus - live more ethical and moral lives, than some so-called Catholics.

Jesus Christ said that "in my Fathers house, there are many mansions" : this I take to believe that if you lead a moral, ethical life, God will be generous come Judgement Day.
Not sure what Catholic church you attend. But accepting Christ is a basic tenet of Catholicism. Being moral and ethical will only have people think of you as a good person. Good works alone will not get you into heaven. John 14:6 - "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

limerickman said:
I've heard it all now.
Invoking Jesse Ventura.

I contend invoking Jesse Ventura has as much validity as invoking the bible.

Same goes for Schwartzenneger, and for that matter Asterix and Obelix.

PseudoTrek said:
Hmmmmmm. . . . . . . .just thinking the same thing about a lot of the evolutionary and bigbang beliefs.

:confused:
Well, except of course, that evolutionary theory and the big bang have never been falsified and creationism, which isn't science, was falsified a long time ago. Some tend to think of evolution and creationism as competing theories to explain the same observations. This simply isn't true. Creationism isn't science and, from a technical standpoint, isn't even a theory, nor was it ever. It barely qualified as a hypothesis. Evolution, on the other hand, has stood up to every single challenge which is why, just like the theory of gravity, evolution is the accepted theory while creationism has failed a multitude of challenges and is therefore falsified, refuted and no more a valid concept than a flat Earth or a geocentric universe -- two other concepts first born of Biblical scripture.

Beastt said:
Well, except of course, that evolutionary theory and the big bang have never been falsified and creationism, which isn't science, was falsified a long time ago. Some tend to think of evolution and creationism as competing theories to explain the same observations. This simply isn't true. Creationism isn't science and, from a technical standpoint, isn't even a theory, nor was it ever. It barely qualified as a hypothesis. Evolution, on the other hand, has stood up to every single challenge which is why, just like the theory of gravity, evolution is the accepted theory while creationism has failed a multitude of challenges and is therefore falsified, refuted and no more a valid concept than a flat Earth or a geocentric universe -- two other concepts first born of Biblical scripture.
Touché'. Bravo ;)

davidmc said:
Touché'. Bravo ;)

A pro wrestler, especially that schmuck, was smart enough to come up with the Crotch thing, yet seemingly inteligint people will argue a completly unproveable thoery as fact!
my opinion = there is no God, do I know there is no god? no of course not, just like christians do not no there is a god, they simply believe the current version of a book written by a man thousands of years ago split into 3 = interpretations and modifications responsible for the vast majority of un-natural deaths in the worlds history!

Just out of imterest if God appeared tommorow to totally prove Christianity/islam/Judaism I would shun him! Any prat who says worship me or be damned for ever can go spit.

DiabloScott said:
I contend invoking Jesse Ventura has as much validity as invoking the bible.

Same goes for Schwartzenneger, and for that matter Asterix and Obelix.

Live and let live, Diablo

Beastt said:

No Touché' at all. You still are under the same argument as you've given me. There's no proof of a big bang either. I and submit that it takes more faith to believe in THAT idea than it does to believe in a supernatural being, . . . .AND [as you enjoyed to cut MY beliefs down] holds less weight than a concept of a 'flat Earth'. Nor of a species passing on changes to the next generation in order to 'survive' in a certain ecosystem when they themselves have no way to change their own genetic code. Without these challenges being answered, the theory of evolution is just another religion, a dogma.

As far as creationism 'failing challenges', you can't challenge what is supernatural . . . .scientifically, so there is no failure where man's current level of scientific progress is lacking, and will probably never reach. Just becuase the speed of sound was once unobtainable [failed challenges] didn't mean that the speed of sound failed. It was still there, it just wasn't testable at the time for man.

PseudoTrek said:
No Touché' at all. You still are under the same argument as you've given me. There's no proof of a big bang either. I and submit that it takes more faith to believe in THAT idea than it does to believe in a supernatural being, . . . .AND [as you enjoyed to cut MY beliefs down] holds less weight than a concept of a 'flat Earth'. Nor of a species passing on changes to the next generation in order to 'survive' in a certain ecosystem when they themselves have no way to change their own genetic code. Without these challenges being answered, the theory of evolution is just another religion, a dogma.

As far as creationism 'failing challenges', you can't challenge what is supernatural . . . .scientifically, so there is no failure where man's current level of scientific progress is lacking, and will probably never reach. Just becuase the speed of sound was once unobtainable [failed challenges] didn't mean that the speed of sound failed. It was still there, it just wasn't testable at the time for man.
It is no mistake that a book would last so long be printed so many times and read and believed by so many people without being genuine...It comes down to a matter of faith. You can choose to believe or not. I happen to choose to believe and I feel confident with that decision. There are things that can not be explained. To some, this is a major problem. There are many "Ron Burgundy’s" in this world who simple just say what they read and posses no analytical ability to process what they just read. That being said, there are many who use the bible to create their own wealth and use the scripture to deceive people.

We as human beings may not be able to digest what the Bible teaches us. For example. It is a scientific fact that we humans use just a very small portion of our brain. Who’s to say that the scripture is worded in such a way to tap into that portion of the brain that we don’t use and perform some miracle or enable us to act in a certain way?

There is no doubt that God is real. But because one can’t reach out and touch flesh and blood, there will always be the beasties of the world who just refuse to believe….

That being said we are only obligated to show people the light. If they choose to ignore it, then so be it. Religion should not be shoved down anyones throat. People should not be bullied or killed over religious beliefs..

I believe that in the end, the truth shall prevail. One of two things will happen. #1 Those of us who believe, shall live in ever lasting peace with our maker or....#2 If we are wrong, we will never know it...I'd prefer to put my money on #1 just to make sure I don't spend eternity on a "webber" grill....

Jesus Christ said that "in my Fathers house, there are many mansions" : this I take to believe that if you lead a moral, ethical life, God will be generous come Judgement Day.[/QUOTE]

SAID PERFECTLY

limerickman said:

Con esa filosofia tengo ningun problema.

Truth is truth, regardless of the source, or despite the source as the case may be.

limerickman said:
this is true except that secular humanist's don't kill people as do "believers", in the name of some deity whereas "believers" constantly do so. As I type this, the odds are very high that someone has been killed for their religious belief/disbelief. All predicated on a "guess". e.g.-Taliban, Iran, N. Ireland, Israel, Palestine, ect... :(

DiabloScott said:
Con esa filosofia tengo ningun problema.

Truth is truth, regardless of the source, or despite the source as the case may be.
Couldn't agree w/ you more. I read religious text's, from time to time, but only for a scholarly/research reason. Building gov'ts or making governmental decisions based on mythology is so quaint & wrong.