What are the best anti-theft tricks around?

King Fisher

Sep 11, 2004
Anyone ever had thier best ever bike stolen? :mad: About a year ago I had one of the best bikes I've ever had stolen from me out of my own back yard. It was a bike that I built myself from used parts that started out as a just for fun project and ended up being the fastest bike I've ever had.:eek:

My question is how does someone keep posession of thier bike without huge chains, heavy "U" locks that can be picked with a ball point pen, a bike locker, or a private security guard?

King Fisher

The best way I know of is to insure it (it may already be covered under your homeowners or renters policy) and then keep it inside wherever you go (admittedly not always possible). That's one of the reasons I generally don't use a bike rack on my car -- I put the bike in the car.

Own a totally uncool, old lady bike...That would be my Hybrid. Soup it up with mirrors and splash guards and parcel racks and headlights. Get the mirror with the cracked glass for the Extra Dork points.

Never leave it for 2 seconds without a lock on it. Not outside the ATM. Not anywhere for a nanosecond. I work at the police station and do you have any idea how many "stolen bike reports" I take in the run of a day that start off with "I was just going to be a minute...". Apparently, less than a minute is what's needed to ride off on an unlocked bike.

Other than that, the key is to slow them down and make your bike the most unattractive one in the rack. It's like that old joke where the backpackers out in the midst of bear country are getting ready for bed and one is lacing up his sneakers. His buddy laughs at him and says "I don't care how fast you are, mate, you're not going to outrun no bear.".

"I don't have to outrun the bear. I just have to outrun YOU."

King Fisher said:
Anyone ever had thier best ever bike stolen? :mad: About a year ago I had one of the best bikes I've ever had stolen from me out of my own back yard. It was a bike that I built myself from used parts that started out as a just for fun project and ended up being the fastest bike I've ever had.:eek:

My question is how does someone keep posession of thier bike without huge chains, heavy "U" locks that can be picked with a ball point pen, a bike locker, or a private security guard?

King Fisher
here's another thread you might consider.
http://www.cyclingforums.com/t177589.html

I believe that if someone really wants what you have, then they will stop at nothing to get it, bikes included.

Take a look at the art work stolen from ? (some Scandinavian country) while the olympics were on in Greece.

I have had my bike stolen, and it was double chained. Luckily I received it back.

Once again, if someone really wants what you have, then they will stop at nothing to get it.

Politcal stickers. Whack a couple of 'no war' stickers or whatever on your bike and no-one will touch it. Truely.

well I cant say I know exacly what you feel like about that... (live in the middle of nowhere MI) but I just carry a lightweight lock... thats really the best way in my opinion... especially if you put it right next to a bike without a lock on it:rolleyes:

King Fisher said:

King Fisher

Kill a bike thief and hang his mutilated body across your bike with a sign that reads "slow bike thief, how fast are you?".
Or if you hate blood and the police just draw a body shaped chalk line next to your bike with the words," last person that tried to steal my bike".
It would get my attention!

Anyone want to try steal my bike?

King Fisher said:

King Fisher

Never, Never, ever leave your best bike unattended. If you can't watch it don't leave it. Have a back up bike to lock and leave.

I witnessed something the other day that MUST to be reported, and this post is the place for it.

I was travelling along when I seen two bikes chained to an electricity pole. A few seconds later, I seen two young males who were walking door to door spreading the message of 'THE LORD'.

I thought, why do these Christians need to chain their bikes up. :confused: They have no faith in the Lord. No faith that God will protect their bikes.

But they had the next best thing. It appeared it was a thin chain and a small padlock, for both bikes.

So, the whackyscientist has done it! I have come up with the best anti-theft device.
A thin chain, a small padlock, and a second bike.:rolleyes:

The first two are easily purchased. If you have higher quality items, dispose of them. I know, my bike was stolen with two padlocks and two chains, all quality items.:mad:

Now, the third. The second bike. Either you ride with a friend, or you have to lug around an extra bike so that you can chain them both up together.:p

DISCLAIMER: whackyscientist WILL NOT be held responsible for those persons who follow the above advice and have their bikes stolen.

jhuskey said:
Kill a bike thief and hang his mutilated body across your bike with a sign that reads "slow bike thief, how fast are you?".
Or if you hate blood and the police just draw a body shaped chalk line next to your bike with the words," last person that tried to steal my bike".
It would get my attention!

Anyone want to try steal my bike?

That has to be the best idea i've ever heard. The problem is, you have to catch a bike thief before you kill him.

Mr_Kingkillaha said:
That has to be the best idea i've ever heard. The problem is, you have to catch a bike thief before you kill him.

That is the trick. Don't get me wrong I am not prejudiced against bike thieves, I hate all thieves equally.

Ah you could always try what my buddy did. Grow ivy in the back of the bike so it's camo. :eek:

i hardly ever leave my bike anywhere and if i do its where i can see it all the time, but most of the time when i have it out of the garage im at the MTB park and its safe around there

Mr_Kingkillaha said:
Or if you can't catch him/her, just kill the next fool that comes along and asks you a stupid question like "did your bike get stolen?" As you are standing there with the remains of your bike lock in your hand trying not to puke because you just ran 400 meters in less than a second trying to catch the guy who just stole your bike. (broken bike chains with the lock still attached make great anti theft weaons)

King Fisher

By far the best anti-theft device for any bike is to keep it firmly under your butt! Don't leave it anywhere it only takes seconds, and now that you can brake U locks with a freaking BIC pen :eek: I don't trust anything.

Spit on the seat and handbar, or take the seat along with you, or place a "roadmaster" sticker on the frame. My best anti theft suggestions......

Dan

King Fisher said:

King Fisher
The best anti theft trick is, don't stop, keep pedaling.

Or you could move. I live in Northeast Arkansas, you could put a sign on a bright orange Cinelli that says "free bike" and leave around the dark corner of a gas station and these obese jigglebilly rednecks would walk by it all day like they couldn't see it. But heaven help you if you bring home a new four-wheeler.:rolleyes: