What are the 'Classic Routes' for bike touring?

gf71

Feb 11, 2004
hello riders www.cylingtheworld.org the new website dedicated exclusively to bike tourists would like to hear what you consider to be 'Classic Routes' for cyclist around the world in order to improve its section and include your suggestions. What should be included in your opinion?

The section only contain 2 routes so far 'Pacific Coast' in the US and 'Camino de Santiago' in Europe but surely there are many more worth including right :) !

Hey now,
planning my grand tour, hard to decide between the two big 'uns here in the U.S. The Trans Am is the grand daddy of them all. However, the Northern Tier route has its own attractions. Both of these are of course founded by and promoted by Adventure Cycling. At their website there are others, like the Continental Divide.

There is no classic route through western Europe. The classic route is to get lost. I started out of London east, first night in the Epping Forest, then to the coast through Felixstowe north. Brief train to Shrewsbury, several days in Wales, then back through London to the Benelux, hardened ride through Calais, a couple of weeks in Normandy, and then into Paris.

The truth is, in my best days I didn't know where I was. My best nights, I would dream the day over again, mile for mile. The trick is to be comfortable with your own company, be fit, and ride as if the Land of Forever is your goal.

The point is not the destination, but the journey.

> The point is not the destination, but the journey.

I agree with you entirely on that one but you don't need to get lost to enjoy it! Still there are some favourite routes or destinations where people are riding most and I was just curious to find out what their favourites are.

Enjoying the journey is what make bike touring such a special holiday.

gf71 said:
> The point is not the destination, but the journey.

I agree with you entirely on that one but you don't need to get lost to enjoy it! Still there are some favourite routes or destinations where people are riding most and I was just curious to find out what their favourites are.

Enjoying the journey is what make bike touring such a special holiday.

I agree whole heartedly. When I cycled across the US, I planned my own route based on my special interests. It made for a more circuitious route than the one recommended by Adventure Cycling, but I was able to see what I wanted to see and avoid most of the bigger hills/mountains. (Carrying camping and photo gear weight and hills were a factor.) :D

Here's a good web site for state side tour routes. as mentioned above.

http://www.adventurecycling.org/

I think that -2- other outes that need to be included here are; route 101 in Cali. (beautiful Pacific Coast Hiway), and route 1 on the east coast, goes from Key West to Canada all via a patch work of secondary highways. Both of these routes, would require some creative navigating around the busier sections.

I dont know enough about cycling in Europe to speak about it, but one of my dream vacations is to land in Shanon and take off from Prague 3 months later.

Salsa Rider said:
Here's a good web site for state side tour routes. as mentioned above.

http://www.adventurecycling.org/

I think that -2- other outes that need to be included here are; route 101 in Cali. (beautiful Pacific Coast Hiway), and route 1 on the east coast, goes from Key West to Canada all via a patch work of secondary highways. Both of these routes, would require some creative navigating around the busier sections.

I dont know enough about cycling in Europe to speak about it, but one of my dream vacations is to land in Shanon and take off from Prague 3 months later.

I did Route 1 from Connecticut down to Key West or should I say, I began to take Route 1. It's a killer. The traffic and road conditions like lack of a shoulder in high density areas was scary and in the South the rain grates runs parallel to your line of travel and are wide enough to swallow a bike tire.

That said, there are some parallel roads that are pristine and a pleasure to ride on. This is one route that you definitely need to look for alternative roads on your way south.